Let's say hypothetically that you were unread in fields of philosophy and history

Let's say hypothetically that you were unread in fields of philosophy and history.

You were planning an undertaking involving spending some time secluded to focus entirely on learning and writing.

Let's say 6 months. If you had to compile a list of books to read for 6 months, 10-16 hours a day to acquire the best understanding of philosophy and history - what would it look like? Would you start with the Greeks?

Attached: kinski.jpg (318x234, 89K)

That sounds like a plan. I hate plans. They never work. So i don't know what to say.

Start with the Greeks.

Bump out of interest

bryan magee- the story of philosophy

plato + aristotle (most of their works)
descartes, spinoza, leibniz
locke, berkeley hume
kant, fichte, hegel
schopenhauer, nietzsche, kierkegaard, bergson
husserl, deleuze
frege, wittgenstein

very cursory but what can you do in 6 months really

One shouldn't read that much philosophy without taking breaks to reflect on the material. This list should take you 1 year at the very least.

People study philosophy 10 hours a day for decades, 6 months ain't shit.

No Heidegger, really?

>No Augustine, Aquinas
>No Hobbes, Rousseau, Filmer
>No Schelling

Plato's dialogues (all of them)
Aristotle: Rhetoric, Nicomachean Ethics, Politics, Metaphysics. Disregard all of his scientific treatises. They are unessential.
Skip about 2000 years and read Discourse on the Method and Meditations on First Philosophy by Descartes.
Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes
The Social Contract and the Discourse on Inequality by Rousseau.
Critique of Pure Reason by Kant
Phenomenology of Spirit by Hegel
The Communist Manifesto and Das Kapital by Marx
The complete works of Nietzsche

>bryan magee- the story of philosophy
Is there a .epub version of it anywhere? All I can find is a .pdf scan of a book

I am still with the greeks at the moment. Should I skip ALL medieval philosophy? I mean I hate theology and dont want to read anything about jebus, but isnt there nothing worthwhile between the greeks and enlightenment?

Christfags will say there is, but honestly no. They don't call it the dark ages for nothing.

>1 year
>all that shit
It took me 10 years just to BEGIN to understand Plato's Apology. No one can read, retain, and understand all that in 6 months or even a year. OP's entire basis for this thread is ridiculous.

They didn't mention understand, they mentioned reading, you could quite possibly read all of that in 6 months, understand it? no way.

Read the post again, faggot.

If it took you unironically 10 years just to understand the apology, you might be retarded.

t. brainlet

maybe read one of those compilations instead of individual authors and see what you get out of them. basic issues of medieval philosophy is good.

i hate theology but i had a good time reading abelard, duns scotus, and giarduno bruno (you'll like bruno if you like spinoza)

nah there's no epub around because the actual book is very visual and uses lots of pics and flourishes; why dont you want to read the pdf?

this desu.. my child is smarter than u.

>filmer
>worth reading

Attached: 1556326107066.jpg (183x190, 4K)

I don't like reading on my monitor and the .pdf doesn't translate very well to kindle. I might just search for a cheap second hand copy

bump

of course there is, just fedora tippers being their usual ignorant selves, imagine disregarding a millennium of knowledge lmao

understandable, its not a bad book to own anyways, i'm pretty deep into philosophy now but I still take a look through that book every now and then because its great cursory look at the history of philosophy (excusing magee's anglo biases which come through at times)

Okay do you have must reads? I dont actually want to skip this much, I just dont want to read christian metaphysics. I dont read fiction nor analysis of fiction.

post some fag

The big three are Aquinas, Ockham, and Duns Scotus. Even atheists should read them if they want to refute theistic metaphysics in any meaningful way.