Books on losing your faith?

books on losing your faith?

Attached: 1566227558262.png (970x542, 257K)

Highschool is tough, huh op

I've read so many books about people finding faith, but I can't name any about losing it. It seems like an interesting topic for a book.

Top kek

The God Delusion.

probably Camus, Kafka or Beckett idk
Dostoevsky talk about losing faith but he always portrays it as a very negative thing and contrasts it with finding faith

How about a book on gaining it

Attached: 05DBE745-AE08-45BF-83FB-3271BB5ACC9E.jpg (303x475, 24K)

The Silmarillion

my diary desu tbrqhwy family

Attached: pepetuxdemon.jpg (558x640, 118K)

San Manuel Bueno, Mártir

If you’re ok with reading fiction, Night by Elie Wiesel

The scene with the mastubation machines really broke my immersion

The Antichrist

Attached: A75F58F1-07B4-423C-96D3-C692DF809FDE.jpg (645x1000, 79K)

Koran

Attached: grasshopper.jpg (1600x1200, 131K)

One does not lose Faith - one loses hope. Hope pertains to transient mundane wish; Faith pertains to constant vision, and knowledge, of eternity.

Dark night of the soul

NOOOOOOO
God, How can you be real if mom keeps being a bitch and telling me to mow the lawn. If you were real you'd let me play fortnite and smoke weed all day!

Anything by Schopenhauer, Nietzsche and Stirner

>believing in things for which there's literally zero empirical evidence makes you a big boy adult

Attached: 1568531397062.png (645x729, 77K)

The empirical evidence for God is faith. But if you haven’t experienced faith then this won’t make sense.

No, that's merely insisting that a proposition is true without presenting any evidence for it

Jesus you killed him man

Again, the evidence is in faith itself. If you don’t have faith it won’t make sense, but people with it have made this fact known for centuries now.

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” - Thomas Aquinas

Based on that reasoning, that would also make Islam true

The Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man

oh nonono here comes the misinterpretation that Nietzsche was a pessimist

Lol I am Muslim so, yeah, it fully corroborates Islamic thought of faith. "Those whom Allah guides, none can misguide them, both those who He does not guide, none can guide them" (i am paraphrasing but this is the gist of the ayat)

"Don Manuel Bueno, Mártir", by Miguel de Unamuno. It's about a priest who loses his faith and struggles to regain it with no success. However, in order to maintain the high spirits of his simple and humble tiny town, he pretends to still believe for the sake of his people. The author went through a similar experience, so it is biographical and not entirely fictional.

There’s overwhelming evidence that the cognitive mechanisms that produce “faith” are epistemically unreliable.

Lol alright man idk what to tell ya

You mean nihilist?
Yeah, I hate that. He isn’t either.

Maybe Siddhartha?

Maybe try "The Power and the Glory" by Graham Greene

I've tried to find a good book on this too but haven't had any success yet. But if you havent' seen it Ingmar Bergman's Winter Light is a compelling movie about a priest's crisis of faith.

Attached: winter_light.jpg (706x533, 51K)

"you have to believe in the magic trick for it to work"

That Aquinas quote follows the same tautological reasoning New Age gurus use to convince people of their woo-woo. Saying if you have faith no explanation is necessary is tantamount to saying if you have faith you have faith.

only worthwhile replies

based islam poster

Yes, that is the point. If you get it, you get it, if you don't, you don't. Faith transcends rationality.

How are you supposed to get it, though? I simply don't, hard as I try, despite having been raised a Christian.

Prayer. Pray humbly and sincerely and with time the Lord will make his presence known to you. Even if it seems illogical you have to pray. Pray with your heart, pray about anything but you really must pray. The prayer is the rope to God! The fact that you are even considering this is a very very good sign trust that. Read the scripture as well, Torah, Bible, or Quran. Obviously as a Muslim I rec the Quran but if you feel most comfortable with Christianity then just read it (please don't pray to Jesus or saints or anything like that though). But again, ignore what people drowned in philosophy and logic tell you on this matter. God is beyond that, just pray.

Oh and to elaborate on "if you are considering it its a good sign". One of my favorite sayings is "if you take one step towards God, He takes 10 steps towards you" and it's completely true. You may feel like you arent doing it right or not trying hard enough but believe, if you sincerely want faith and want to be closer with God, then it is not a matter of coincidence. If you feel that your soul longs for the Lord then it may be that He has a beautiful plan for you! Best wishes user, may He bless you!

Thank you. As I'm already very familiar with the Bible, I'll try reading the Quran next.