Start talking about God in a college philosophy class

>start talking about God in a college philosophy class
>professor is in his 60’s and worships Nietzsche (he has in his bio that his favorite philosopher is Nietzsche, said Nietzsche was his favorite philosopher multiple times in class, has unironically stated that Nietzsche is his hero)
>the question of “why is there is evil in the word if God is all powerful” comes up
>he starts questioning people
>I say that one needs evil to understand what good is, and that God being all powerful does not mean that he must exert all of his power in his creations; if God was truly all powerful, then he has the power to
>professor doesn’t even seem to understand what I just said and says that I’m arguing for something completely unrelated to what I just said
>doesn’t give me time to respond and immediately goes to the next person
>no one in the class seems to understand what I said
>some old boomer with a ponytail raises his hand and argues for something completely unrelated while also saying that it was what I was “trying” to say like I’m retarded
Yes, I am seething. How could you tell?
I’m not even religious, either, I’m just mad that my professor and contemporaries are retarded.

Attached: 251EFB28-FC66-4280-BDF4-16652B292721.png (904x864, 441K)

>he went to a state school

Attached: apugallows.jpg (1039x692, 104K)

That’s why you shouldn’t go to community college

>expecting anything resembling an actual discussion with people who have allowed their thoughts and beliefs to cement

Make senses. All frogposters are worthless.

OP I go to a community college and today my professor related how he purportedly blew his Physics professor the fuck out (resulting in his termination) back when he was in college by making him admit that science could not explain how bees manage to fly. This anecdote included him releasing live bees in a class of 1,200. He went on to explain how he got another professor fired for being racist years later and how he blew a nobel laureate the fuck out by putting him on the spot.

More gems from him in the few weeks I've had this class:

>"Platypus ducks" (his nomenclature) are scientifically inexplicable
>Trump (he brings Trump up without fail every class) will go down in history with Hitler, and who is really to say that Trump doesn't have death camps for the migrants they're interning near the border
>The speech Bush gave in the wake of 9/11, the one that David Foster Wallace characterized as having lines "almost plagiaristically identical to those uttered by Bruce Willis (as a right-wing wacko, recall) in The Siege", is one of the best speeches he has ever heard
>English is the only language where a construction as figurative as "you look like shit" is conceivable.
>Trump is the worst president this country has ever had. Presumably by that he means most incompetent, most destructive, or (probably) both.

but i dont have money

Whose idea of God was being discussed? That certainly isn't the Christian view of God (according to Aquinas, God is existence itself, not a "being"), or even the European Pagan view of "God" which is typically represented as the Masculine counterpoint to a Feminine Goddess - neither of which are all powerful

Attached: 1505019039261.jpg (420x420, 13K)

>according to Aquinas, God is existence itself
What the fuck, no

Then educate me

>tfw have gaps in my schedule
>need to take a certain amount of liberal arts courses for degree
>decide to take a few philosophy courses
>immediately realize what kind of place I've entered upon first day in classroom
>do the smart thing and regurgitate precisely what the professor wants to hear which is something slightly left of Stalin
>only ever skim the assigned material
>assign said leftist narrative to everything in whatever way quickest afforded by a Wikipedia summary of the philosopher in question
>get an A
>this was a high level 4 credit course
>I don't even go to a bad school
Welcome to higher learning OP. Take it from me, there's no point swimming against the tide when you're in a sewer. Get in, and get out, as swiftly as may be.

Attached: 1515818901259.jpg (945x1233, 133K)

Newfag. I bet you hate anime too you fucking faggot

This is the same exact answer I would’ve given, user. The fact your professor hasn’t encountered this basic reasoning of how one cannot exist without the other is embarrassing. I would be seething as well. Also I would have spoken up if some boomer faggot said he was articulating on my behalf.

Attached: F171320D-44F7-42E6-B388-E781AF6FCF69.jpg (495x362, 21K)

Yeah this used to happen to me in class

If you argue outside of the paradigm usually it goes over people's heads. Not saying this in a self-masturbatory way, but it's true

The
Is
No
god

Ever.

>11th Grade AP Psychology
>Oregon Community College Shooting just happened
>having a discussion on what motivates school shooters
>I paraphrase Dostoevsky's whole piano key spiel out of Notes from Underground
>spoke for about 120 or so seconds, felt the most articulate I have in my entire life
>teacher responds with "hmm yes yet I always felt bullying had more to do with this phenomenon rather than what you just came up with" before moving on
>other kids look at me like I'm going to shoot the school

Attached: 1239487126379516203.jpg (403x448, 34K)

That's because most normies are only wired to understand concepts they've heard before. If you go off into something else, they start trying to fit whatever it is you are saying into their own preconceived ideas, instead of seeking to understand the new info

My black progressive female friend asked why I voted for Trump

I started ranting about wanting to end globalism, promote nationalism ect. typical online right-wing talking points and she didn't pick up any of it. I get the impression she literally thinks people who voted for Trump are toothless rednecks riding around in pick up trucks yelling "nigger" out of the window.

why are people like this

why don’t you just be sincere for once and open your heart up even if there’s nobody listening

>>I say that one needs evil to understand what good is, and that God being all powerful does not mean that he must exert all of his power in his creations; if God was truly all powerful, then he has the power to
this doesn't actually answer the question though, because neither of these things explain why an omnibenevolent being would put anyone through evil. theodicy isn't simply based on omnipotence, there would be no contradiction in an evil and omnipotent God; the issue arises when omnibenevolence, omnicience, and omnipotence are combined that the paradox emerges...

That's a little bit more like Spinoza.

>philosophy class at bumfuck nowhere
Stop reading there
You surround yourself with retards. Surprise, surprise.

>Ebonics
Not even once.

>>other kids look at me like I'm going to shoot the school
People get uncomfortable when someone understands a problem with which they are confounded themselves. Your depth lays in their abyss.

Don't feel bad about this man. I've had some similar experiences, and it's always better to care and be passionate than be indifferent like your class was. It's their loss.

>why are people like this?
Because ideology is running rampant in a land ruled by Poe's Law.

Hey, where's the veteran copypasta?

>God being all powerful does not mean that he must exert all of his power in his creations;

this is the argument you make to prove god is not evil? jesus christ

Hold the line. Demand your say until it is understood. Do not let others speak for you. Inform them in no uncertain terms that they both misunderstood you. I, too, had shitty instructors and classmates.

>getting ged
>ged teacher is actually really educated and studied all religions and has read numerous philosophy books
>he still goes hurrr duurr trump bad and brings up white racism
>brings up anti hate org website in class
>absolutely dumbfounded by black israelites
>hrr humm and moves on
These people don't even understand what kind of curtain they live behind

Attached: 1533255471433.png (389x354, 57K)

>tranny butterfly says anything
Not today faggot butterfly. Just because you cut your dick off as a metaphor for cutting ties with God doesn’t mean the rest of us have to subscribe to your secular faggotry you call an ideology

Attached: 8915FA5E-D512-49F0-8C32-BB2D289DA974.jpg (267x270, 14K)

you think because you like trump that you're somehow more conscious and that you aren't behind some kind of curtain? lol

you posted a spongebob meme and called someone online a tranny faggot, how are you godly at all?

how do you not get that the argument is about challenging god even existing. They can't grasp anything past their own arguments and find any logical fallacy as a "ha, gotcha" to christians. They assume that evil and god cannot exist in the same reality and are completely incapable of believing in anything greater than "values" made by man, an imperfect being.

Are you serious? learn to read. I brought up what happened and not my views on trump you tard.

Holy trips

>. They assume that evil and god cannot exist in the same reality

it's true, it doesn't fit in with the defintion of god christians provided

glad to know you dont support trump

Imagine reading and not understanding.

>professor is in his 60’s and worships Nietzsche (he has in his bio that his favorite philosopher is Nietzsche, said Nietzsche was his favorite philosopher multiple times in class, has unironically stated that Nietzsche is his hero)
I would laugh in his face and tell him the sad truth, Nietzsche was a spooked retard and Stirner is the finale of German philosophy.

I never said I was godly but butterfly being a tranny faggot is the truth

Attached: butterflyis.jpg (500x500, 74K)

>there's no point swimming against the tide when you're in a sewer
THIS

Where the fuck are you tards going to college? Protip: go to college in a non meme state if you don't want retarded professors.
t. Dallas liver

lol you fucking retard.

ive read more books than you and i know more about theology than you, ive read every notable writer on the problem of evil, i just dont agree with you because you are objectively wrong

hey man im glad you dont support trump. you said so yourself that your post isnt about how you think supporting trump is conscious and how this liberal is bluepilled and cucked

>makes a meme to go along with his argument on a italian cattle castration forum

absolutely based

>I say that one needs evil to understand what good is, and that God being all powerful does not mean that he must exert all of his power in his creations; if God was truly all powerful, then he has the power to
lmao how is that even an argument against evil?

if your god is all-powerful and good there should be no evil. QED.

based boomer being paid to dab on christcuck frogposters.

And yet you have a subjective view.

why shouldn't evil exist?

If only knowledge equated to understanding. Through it maybe, but not because.

a subjective view would be believing that god isnt evil because you refuse to accept objective truth

episteme is not gnosis i agree unfortunately for you christcucks are still wrong until you can construct a logically consistent argument

are you stupid?
that's a rhetorical question

All these people in this thread that can't grasp god and evil both existing.
Night exist because the Day does. Without one or the other neither exist. If you only have one its not really what it was just how it is.

Attached: 1568535287269.png (785x589, 564K)

>Without one or the other neither exist.

prove it

The truth being?

gnosticism

the question of WHY god needs to create evil is the one you need to answer. sure, taking your idea that good can only exist if evil does (this idea was considered a heresy by the way, Manichaeism) then it makes sense evil exists. but if God is all good, what is it that must oppose God? surely God came first, which means good existed without evil, at least before creation. but even then, why is it that good must exist? why put a tumor in the brain of a child in the name of some empty goodness? you should read St. Augustine

honestly you sound like a sperg who doesn't know what he's talking about and spouts platitudes reached through what he calls "meditation," are you a freshman?
>i don't even go to a bad school
that's really not a distinction--you're basically saying you and everyone around you are average
>spoke for 120 seconds
probably the height of autism--doesn't understand that people are not monologue receptacles

ITT: incel seething after getting BTFO by Chad Nietzscher

You're fucking autists and should feel bad. If you can't understand why you should be speaking AT THE LEVEL OF YOUR AUDIENCE you need to just get out of school and start a minimum wage job.

>English is the only language where a construction as figurative as "you look like shit" is conceivable.
LMAO

Even if I did, you yourself would have to be able to view it with no bias and think about it before coming to a conclusion.
I believe in god because the alternative is pointless by its own definition. I used to not believe in god because of all the suffering in the world and I turned towards science. But it fails in giving purpose. The "values" it instills are from people to scared to face the fact that they themselves believe in the abyss at the end and would do anything to feel meaning in their own lives that they feel are just as pointless as a grain of sand. Nothing wrong with knowing or believing in evolution and the big bang or any other theory but once you see that it leads to no real spiritual or meaningful self fulfilment then its pointless.

I chose to believe in god because I see purpose in it. I educated myself and found out suffering is caused by man and that we could have a utopia at this very moment if not for greed and evil. Evil that man has chosen because of his own free will. Just as I choose to be a good and try and help people others choose evil because they can. I have weighed my choices and choose not to believe in the abyss. Not because I can't imagine it, but because god gives meaning and those who choose to can find it.

Attached: 1533192486061.jpg (1000x730, 162K)

>blew his Physics professor the fuck out (resulting in his termination) back when he was in college by making him admit that science could not explain how bees manage to fly.
Wow a physics professor didn't know anatomical minutiae. Now you can find the answer on the first page of google "how do bees fly". All those other quotes are so retarded your professor should be in Trump's death camps.

the freedom to do evil is included as an aspect of god otherwise he is not omnipotent

le tumor in the childs brain argument.
Look at it from the other perspective. Sure he dies but this world is just filled with man made misery. But he also gets to skip all the horror and spend eternity in heaven. Not a bad deal.

why do you respond to 3 people saying NOTHING

It was a typo

>Selling your soul to the devil
Normie as fuck

>man made misery

god made man you fucking retard

Just because he is doesn't mean he has to. god has free will to but he is beyond needing to do evil. He is a literal fucking GOD. It is his nature to just be good. Maybe juuuuuuussst maybe god has over come every obstacle in his own existence and we came in late in his existence. You have to realize that we are just tiny specs of nothing compared to his supposed existence. Making any sense of his existence is a lot for species that only been around for a few thousand years.

He mad you to. Is God forcing you to make such stupid replies?

If God is indeed good why were you born retarded? Shouldn't God have made you smart enough to be able to question Him? Instead he made you into a literal retard.

I'll take that as a no.

You are the one who is failing to understand. It's on purpose too. You know exactly what I mean when I say 'god made man' but you choose a blind eye. Firstly, if God chose to create man knowing that he would do evil, then he is allowing that evil to exist. Secondly if God did not choose man to create evil and it is a privation, then that means the God youd defined is a fallacy because he is not omnipotent
It's in his nature to do good but he sees us as a tiny speck and doesn't care about evil? I don't believe in your god

Better to save one's strength and fight battles one can win and to retreat where one cannot. I serve the greater good.

God exists and his name is Tengri

I think the question is retarded, but your answer isn't as smart as you think it is either.

"one needs evil to understand what good is", What value is there in knowing what good is, compared to living in a world free from "evil"?

"God being all powerful does not mean that he must exert all of his power in his creations", Why would God "choose" not to exert all his power?

I met God. She's black.

>that is not how Ebonics was invented

Not that he would but that he could. God gives every man a choice. Free will is an amazing thing. Man is dangerous because he can choose to do evil and has chosen to to so many times. But man is also a force for good.
God does not make any one man do anything against his will and never has. Every choice, no matter how hard, is a choice. God chooses not to do evil. But he is also above it.

I said we are tiny specs compared to him. He sees us all.

>AT THE LEVEL OF YOUR AUDIENCE
user was in class. The presumption is that the instructor should be at or above the student's level. user was not lecturing to his own students beyond their abilities.

How can someone believe this?
In Swedish its common to say "du ser ut som skit" which means "you look like shit" or "jag mår skit/skitdåligt" "I feel like shit". In Swedish you can use a wide variety of words to emphasize something even though that's not the indended use of the word.
It's common to say "det här smakade skitgott" "this tasted shit-good". It does not mean the taste was as good as shit, the shit part is just a way to make the good have more of a punch and could be substituted by many other words, even made up ones

You have no idea what you're talking about. This is the one board you don't want to lurk moar on—actually fucking read. Most anons spew nothing but bullshit.

Oн caм пoхoж нa дepьмo, блятoк

The god that is incomprehensible can not be believed in.

Not with that attitude.

What I get you saying is: God is beyond Good and Evil, which is rather Nietzschean notion. Than it could as well be that God is Artisan - creating the world and leaving it behind to flourish or cease on its own. How can you be grateful to such a god, that has given you existence but has since been working on something else, maybe even better? You want to impress God then, to show him magnificence of this particular creation. So God has given us freedom yet there is an endgoal - an obligation to make this world stand out.
But this is where it gets tricky - is this even what god intends? Or are we just projecting our needfullness? Is it innate striving or hubris, and beside, at what cost and by which means are we to pursue such a goal, especially if the others are not aware of all this?
So we are again confronted with the original problem: Omnipotence omniscience, all those omni-stances, if not exercised fully, which to us would be paradoxical - speak of measure, of God's willing. Than, how are we to know the will of god? And if god is willing anything at all in regards to us? Even if we are presented with revelation - can we trust our ability to interpret it, to come to agreement so we can act upon it?