The fedora meme was literally a feat of social engineering...

The fedora meme was literally a feat of social engineering. It was so effective in mocking its target that they pretty much disappeared, and their values/talking points lost credibility by association and pretty much left the political scene. It was the closest thing to non-lethal cultural genocide you can have, a whole type of person literally stopped existing because of jokes.

Anyway, this got me thinking, what's the psychology and sociology behind shit like that? Why we choose to 'act' like a certain groups and what does it take for us to abandon this subculture. I'm interested in books on the subject thanks.

Attached: ABFC23C3-9D71-40BE-80AF-CE119E003217.png (720x720, 538K)

Other urls found in this thread:

albertmohler.com/2005/04/11/moralistic-therapeutic-deism-the-new-american-religion-2/
plato.stanford.edu/entries/aristotle-rhetoric/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: 1567387472647.png (924x560, 63K)

This could be a good thread desu, I've thought that too
/pol/ knows this too, that's why they create der numale, der coomer, etc to persuade people by aesthetic argument rather than rational not to do certain things. It's a powerful tool especially on the internet

"incel" is the new fedora and you can already see its effects

What's the effect?

honestly, the study of politics and aesthetic sounds like it would fit this mold... kind of

demonizing single men and their opinions

largely responsible for the death of new atheism on cutting edge cultural places like here too

some of the nrx guys talked about this constantly but i forget their names. The word 'signalling' appeared so much it stopped looking like a word at all

its because God is real and He caused it. there is an argument for the existence of God to be made from the based-cringe spectrum.

Attached: 20190918_211817.jpg (1027x1003, 624K)

>atheists now crying over memes
yikes

It did literally nothing.

Atheism in western countries is more widespread than ever.

You just think it did something because the likes of Richard Dawkins fanboys have quietened down.

They don't need to speak up anymore - they won. Atheism is a mainstream belief.

It is common vernacular to make fun of Christians and other religious peoples using terms such as "sky fairy", "imaginary friend" and "there is no proof of God."

Atheists don't need to fight for their voice to be heard anymore. They are the predominant voice and will only become more and more widespread with continual globalisation of various religious cultures into the west.

Prove me wrong.

Yes but actually no

okay, not that hard to do.
albertmohler.com/2005/04/11/moralistic-therapeutic-deism-the-new-american-religion-2/

>2005
>Albert Mohler - Evangelist

lol

Average person is a brainlet
Average person is now atheist
Checks out

>fedora

PROTECT WHITE WESTERN CULTURE

I think its not that people now are genuine atheists its just that they are generally too busy with their consimption to care about having a strong opinion on such things.

>that's why they create der numale, der coomer, etc to persuade people by aesthetic argument rather than rational not to do certain things
Based. I'm taking a brief break from reading Self Reliance by Emerson while typing this. I hate conformists, but I might as well do some good for the world by shaming worthless people into becoming better. The average person responds better to shame than they do to rational arguments.

pretentiousness: the post

you are literally a normie faggot

You are able to insult me using your worthless memes but are you able to stress your scant neurons to produce a substantial argument?

>The average person responds better to shame than they do to rational arguments
This is the reason that there is a war against shaming.

It's comedy, comedy must express some truth to be funny. And because truth is so suppressed these days, insanity is a norm, and so humour much reach such an extreme it asserts basic instances - Ironicism. Just as a greater good rises to meet the call of a greater evil. Sure there is the practical application of normies accepting shame and comedy over rational debate, at heart the meme is so much more than this. It is... alive! A product of the collective unconscious, and even at times, an artwork. Memes are both subversive and entirely true, just a meme.

Attached: The Wind in the Willows.jpg (185x299, 38K)

That's insane, I was literally just thinking the same thing. The fact that I have to think twice about reading and learning now so as not to come off as cringe is fucking brutal. I went so far into anti intellectualism that I genuinely lost the ability to picture images in my mind. Reading is bringing it back. I can actually remember things again.

If you don't have sex your opinion is worthless desu, have sex!

The fedorist is just a stereotype. Where it gets its power from is that it's a true stereotype.

As Aristotle knew, only a small minority can be persuaded by dialectics. The others must be fed rhetoric. But there IS such a thing as Rhetoric in service of truth. It's the most powerfull kind, it beats the snot out of dishonest rhetoric as long as you push it with sincerity.

>They don't need to speak up anymore - they won. Atheism is a mainstream belief
Less than 5% of the world Is atheist

Any sources to learn more about this?

Attached: 1568354898488.png (500x458, 402K)

Nonsense, the jokes appeared because the talking points became irrelevant, not the other way round

plato.stanford.edu/entries/aristotle-rhetoric/

The talking point had always been irrelevant.

show me your source

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism
It was actually 7%.

You can stop wearing a fedora or shave off your neckbeard. You can even lose weight and get fit. But can you stop being autistic? Incels don't have a choice, so it's completely ineffective.

Really we did them a favor by making them realize how they really appeared to other people. Cringey atheist posting has really decreased and I see less cringe atheism in society in general.

Atheism is a shrinking minority in the world today. The atheist dream of it being the civilized worldview is pretty much dead. Most people are too busy wagecucking to give a shit about whether God exists or not.

The talking points were always cringey as fuck, coming from social weirdos and losers who chose to identify in a negative belief and were usually autistic as well.

Propaganda by Edward Bernays

A lot of this aping of social trends is an American phenomenon, for which you could read de Tocqueville's "Democracy in America" or "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism" by Max Weber.

>whole type of person literally stopped existing because of jokes

These "jokes" are literally just posting a picture of a fedoralord and letting people draw their own conclusions. Fedora atheists themselves are a joke; the memes just bring it into the public consciousness. The same thing happened with (((echo quotes))) and pictures of cross-dressers.

Memes only take off when they point out something that people already know and simply are not willing to talk about. Otherwise they need to be kept on life support with constant infusions of time and money. This is what separates the wannabes from the real meme magicians Matthew 13: 1-9.

Attached: fedora pro.jpg (260x344, 17K)

groups lonely and mentally-ill men into the same category. feeling depressed about being alone? incel. taxi driver is your favourite movie? incel.

Generally he said the truth of Aristotle and the need of rhetoric. But this should be not the end of argument. I should know that how this specific rhetoric can be the service of truth - as if the people using the term fedora knows some sort of truth.
Using Aristotle is so contradictory by that because this term is obviously got famous from the crowd - He definitely thought this comes from foolishness if he knew the origin - also I concerned that "fedora" is(was) oftenly related to "rational argument", which makes more background.
That list of refuatations in Organon would help, too. This is 100% figure of speech, and "fedora" is used so many place it's hard to argue on - quite versatile - making it fallacy of many question.

people just saw other people wearing fedoras and started mocking then.
its not some sort of deep philosophical concept.

their position is just that weak and and baseless a fedora image killed it

seethe more incel

D&C, baby.

>my Fedora gets me laid

Strawman argument.