Ive been reading aristotle and holy crap, what an asshole

ive been reading aristotle and holy crap, what an asshole.
>slaves are destined to be slaves
>greeks are destined to rule over barbarians
>there should be a large middle class cause theyre less likely to revolt
>people who are apolitical are immoral
i mean some of the stuff he advocated for was good but its as if he was completely amoral and just wanted to help mantain the status quo.

Attached: images - 2019-09-19T062609.537.jpg (503x610, 46K)

What is exactly wrong and why?

Aristotle was a ingenuine asshole who didn't actually believe in anything he said and just used adhoms and nonsensical rhetoric to attack people. And that's based.

he was right
he's no longer right about the greeks now obviously but he was right about everything

The fact that the Greeks are now the barbarians and not ruling over anybody.

>slaves are destined to be slaves
Which is exactly what we see today still
hubris. Got fucked by Romans who were still barbarians at the time.
>there should be a large middle class cause theyre less likely to revolt
exactly what we see today
yes.

I don't get your problem. He lived in a far different society, those views were idealistic and for the greater good. Now such views are acceptance of grim reality.

Replace "Greek" with "those of partially Neanderthal ancestry" and it seems legit. What's your problem?

Attached: Janiform_aryballos_Louvre_CA987.jpg (1850x2300, 2.78M)

Fuck off, Varg.

Applying your modern and probably passing cultural foibles to someone living 2500 years ago often leads to absurd results, yes.

midwit response

He meant during the time period

Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, Υἱέ τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἐλέησόν με τὸν ἁμαρτωλόν

>asshole
Why not just call him wrong/retarded?

You've got to admit that he had a point about the slaves though.

Attached: 1567916205030.jpg (443x591, 38K)

>implying your specific greentexts are not supported by the Bible and the notion of divine Providence

read Romans

the Greeks were pretty much their up their own asses when it came to their language and their alphabet

though the conceit was not unfounded
"Preface to Plato" is where to start

Attached: library43.jpg (194x260, 9K)

I feel like slavery gets a bad rap, whenever I see that word it makes me (and I assume everyone else) think of people in loincloths with metal collars being whipped, when I imagine for the civilized areas of antiquity at least it was basically the equivalent of working a dead end job at walmart.

I don't care for your implication that he was wrong on those points.

Aristotle is so close with his virtues, but without a universal respect for rational beings and the ultimate good not being happiness but the good will he fell into these errors you have noted. Take the Kant pill.

100% correct

Greeks dont exist anymore

And yet correct

The greek concept of slavery, is not the same as blacks in america or jews in egypt:

"For all are ordered together to one end, but it is
as in a house, where the freemen are least at liberty to act at random,
but all things or most things are already ordained for them, while
the slaves and the animals do little for the common good, and for
the most part live at random;"

Slavery in greece is literally NEETism with just a few minor chores to earn your keep.

That really depends what kind of slave your are. Slaves are more like the wagecucks of Greece, but without wages and with lodging, food and clothing instead. Some are construction workers, and some are preceptors in richfags families.

Line it up dude, how do those things allow for Aristotle to make these "errors" as you call them?

Certainly some had better positions that others.
But Aristotle isn't even writing about slaves as the main subject.

He uses a distinguishing feature of slaves: they have apparent freedom in that they have little responsibility and do little of consequence, of course they don't have essential freedom: to pursue their own goals and aspirations.

Why would he use this as an illustrative example if it was just an extremely special case?

>Applying your modern and probably passing cultural foibles to someone living 2500 years ago often leads to absurd results, yes.

>Aristotle, a privileged man part of the ruling class defends class hierarchy as natural 2500 years ago
>Gautama Buddha, a privileged man part of the ruling class radically opposes class hierarchy as natural 2500 years ago

Really makes you think

Attached: 1567993880372.jpg (750x947, 409K)

That is a fair argument regarding freedom, that doesn't mean you can accurately describe slavery as basically NEETdom with some chores.
"They have little respinsibilities and little of consequences" is a good description of most wagies.

those aren't Greeks

You don't understand the ancient Greek worldview. In fact it's so radically different from the Christian one that it's completely incomprehensible to us as outsiders. The Christian worldview starts with the assumption that every person is subject to a transcendent moral law, implying equality of the immaterial soul from the outset, while the Greek worldview assumed natural inequality between all bodies. Entire classes were seen as bodies, so slaves were slaves because that was their lot in life and that was that. Same with men and women, citizens and non-citizens. Immutable bodies of people, ordered from top to bottom. Citizens were the highest tier of this aristocratic system, if you weren't a citizen, you were nobody. The citizen's primary duty was to serve his polis, preferably through military service, and this is why martial values were so celebrated in ancient Greece. If you are apolitical, it means you don't care about your polis, or your responsibilities as a citizen. The Greek worldview was totally alien to the Christian, and dismissing the ethical views of Aristotle or any other ancient philosophers as "mistakes" is itself a mistake, probably because you hold on to the severely outdated view that Western civilization started with ancient Greece, when in fact we're two completely different civilizations entirely.

If we were to build a modern spartan state what would it look like?

that's fair