/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Monthly reading edition

Monthly Reading for September: Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang
Download: mega.nz/#!qt8RwCaT!G1qXcuMD1lEgJnpRFk0POXQXcnc9Y3_n9YgZBq6lfM0
Monthly Reading books: drive.google.com/drive/folders/15ZwgDZVXB-nLqjbgcqgntZDyTddd0eqP

Fantasy:
imgoat.com/uploads/0935e4cd59/105363.jpg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_Masterworks

Science Fiction:
imgoat.com/uploads/def184ad8f/124507.jpg
imgoat.com/uploads/b44928ae11/114401.jpg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SF_Masterworks

Other Charts:
mega.nz/#F!ywtXwYjC!LXU3e7knFpZK_dnHeC9ixA

Previously:

Attached: monthly reading.png (500x850, 233K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gender
youtu.be/GtD0TNAr0LI
nyaa.si/view/1175169
youtube.com/watch?v=FrlymHW0qU8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also,
>be me
>awake and on time to post my image
>enter Yea Forums
>no thread
wtf

second for litrpg not real books

Attached: litrpg.jpg (480x314, 28K)

>Monthly book
Good choice. Best story is Understand. Any more books with a genius MC?

Attached: 1558018802775.jpg (1536x979, 461K)

That pathetic shop is the best you can do to justify your opinion?

Why would I need more than that masterfully crafted image?

Some post-LOTR fantasy novels worth reading:

Peter S. Beagle - The Last Unicorn
John Bellairs - The Face In the Frost
James Blaylock - The Elfin Ship
John Brunner - The Traveller In Black
Jonathan Carroll - The Land of Laughs
C. J. Cherryh - The Morgaine Cycle
Susanna Clarke - Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
John Crowley - Little, Big
Avram Davidson - The Phoenix and the Mirror
Stephen R. Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
Jeffrey Ford - Physiognomy
John Gardner - Grendel
M. John Harrison - Viriconium series
Robert Holdstock - Mythago Wood
Barry Hughart - Bridge of Birds
Guy Gavriel Kay - Tigana
R. A. Lafferty - Past Master
Tanith Lee - The Book of the Damned
Ursula K. Le Guin - A Wizard of Earthsea
Fritz Leiber - Swords and Deviltry
Charles de Lint - Dreams Underfoot
R. A. MacAvoy - Tea With the Black Dragon
Patricia A. McKillip - The Forgotten Beasts of Eld
Robin McKinley - The Hero and the Crown
Michael Moorcock - Elric stories
K. J. Parker - Colours In the Steel
Tim Powers - The Anubis Gates
Lucius Shepard - The Jaguar Hunter
Lyon Sprague de Camp - The Goblin Tower
Michael Swanwick - The Iron Dragon's Daughter
Karl Edward Wagner - Darkness Weaves
Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn
Gene Wolfe - The Book of the New Sun
John C. Wright - Last Guardian of Everness
Roger Zelazny - The Chronicles of Amber

>Also,
>>be me
>>awake and on time to post my image
>>enter Yea Forums
>>no thread
>wtf
Well since the wikipedia user forcibly took over making the threads, I just stopped. He fought and told people "don't use this thread use that one". So he can be the new thread slave because he wants people to use his format.

Holy mother of based, Tyrion is based and redpilled. Or might I say crimsonpilled.
Just wanted to say that, jumping ship to avoid spoilers.

>African fantasy
Black Leopard, Red Wolf
>Chinese fantasy
The Poppy War
>South American fantasy
Gods of Jade and Shadow
>Arabic fantasy
????
>Native American fantasy
???

I want to read (contemporary) fantasy based on all the major cultures' mythologies. What do I read to fill in the gaps?

I read Book of the New Sun, and while I greatly enjoyed many of the passages, it was too high IQ for me, I'm sure I didn't understand shit.
Is Fifth Head of Cerberus more accessible?

Clearly you mean very loosely because:
>African fantasy
>Jamaican who moved to the US

>Chinese fantasy
>Chinese moved to US at 4 years old

>South American fantasy
>Mexican who moved to Canada

for arabian fantasy

>the twelve kings of sharkhai (4 books so far)
>the city of brass (2 books so far)
>kingdom of the crescent moon (1 book so far, sequel never)
>alif the unseen(standalone)
>the orphan's tales (2 books)

there's also that egyptian series by jesmin. not sure if that counts as arabian or african

>‘I wish I could have given her the command in Styria,’ said Savine’s father. ‘We might have been counting our victories now, rather than our dead.
>‘Brock against Murcatto, that would have been something.’ Savine hissed as she snapped out another flurry. ‘The two greatest armies in the Circle of the World, both commanded by women.’
>‘They’d probably have decided there were better things to spend the money on and talked the whole thing out. Then where would we be?
wew. Is it fear of twitter or a genuine desire?

The liberal fears the Twatter.

Attached: gynocracy.jpg (643x1471, 271K)

That's because men don't read, let alone buy, and also aren't tagging on goodreads.

The conservative fears the deplatforming.

>Peter S. Beagle - The Last Unicorn
>Stephen R. Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
>Robert Holdstock - Mythago Wood
>Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn
All utter shit feasts, many of the others are okay, but those above had to be pointed out.
Also you left out Mathew Stover as worth reading

>Last Unicorn
>shit
Opinion immediately discarded

South American isn't united like Klapistan.
You have English, Dutch, French, Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries here. We aren't united, nor do we share a culture. I certainly never heard of Gods of Jade and Shadow.

So am I a gay faggot for reading and posting on goodreads?

I don't care what you do shit eater.

>Doesn't even know that Zelaznys trademark was his exceptional prose and experimental style
You clearly haven't read Zelazny

Attached: people-never-pay-attention-to-weather-reports-this-i-believe-57221938.png (500x831, 241K)

Neither do we about your shit taste which you can't even be assed to explain.

>MST is shit
Dumbest opinion so far in this thread and there are faggots discussing litrpg in here

>censorship is good
Based liberal faggot

Finished Shadow of the Torturer, overall pretty great book even though nothing really happened. The mere 'wtf is happening' element of things really kept things interesting for me. Also, am I retarded or is Jolenta the same waitress that Severian met with Dr Talos and Baldanders earlier in the book? I'm 99% sure this is the case but it makes no sense then for Severian to not recognize her later. I'm assuming either Severian actually died in the avern fight, and got resurrected by some unknown means, and through this process his memory has been affected, or it has something to do with the Claw

There's girls on Goodreads.

Yes I mean loosely. Guy Gavriel Kay is a white guy and he wrote two Chinese-inspired fantasy novels. If you can point to people who share the ethnicity or the nationality that's even better.
Well, Gods of Jade and Shadow is 1) an English language novel by someone born in Mexico and living in Canada and 2) based on Mayan mythology.

By major cultures I am mostly meaning pre-modern cultures, which would mean Aztec/Incan/Mayan/etc. and not necessarily "Mexico and Brazil." I'm also already familiar with the magical realism writers, both from central and south America and around the world. I'm looking for genre fiction, although Marlon James admittedly has more clout in the literary world.

>likes unicorns
>unicorns are usually followed by rainbows
>rainbow was corrupted for use by queer alphabet groups
>is mad I'm saying rainbow is bad
Dilate

menstruate

/pol/ and Yea Forums moving about a billion times faster than Yea Forums tells you exactly what percentage of males read.

Just because you grew up on it and liked it doesn't mean it's good.
Next thing you'll say is that eragon and star war books is good.

It’s perfectly understandable to not like MST after Williams spends all of book 3 jerking off over the unlikable princess slut.

Don't worry. Americans don't know any outside their own country. Most Americans can't don't even know stuff ABOUT their own countries. Imagine the people taking citizenship tests know more about America than born Americans.

>Black Leopard, Red Wolf
Gross. Read books by Charles Saunders instead for African fantasy.
>Native American fantasy
The Testament of Tall Eagle

>and not necessarily "Mexico and Brazil." I
Brazil doesn't make up South America.... There are other cultures and countries that natives inhabited and still inhabit.

Why do i feel that "brown man" is going to have his high born wife and two savage white haired mistresses?

>tfw no giant sea turtle riding ocean princess waifu

Attached: 4bd5348fd15f848b9c09467cda26c14d.jpg (722x1000, 177K)

>transformed into a werecat with clothes and gun on your body intact

>live in the sea
>no algae on skin or in hair

>T. Litrpg poster

Attached: tumblr_nwgjygpj071r5c02zo1_400.gif (330x206, 1.9M)

Tell me about Wizard of Earthsea /sffg/ how good is it?
There is an illustrated, hard-cover version which includes everything Earthsea related and it would be significantly cheaper than buying the books separately. I'm tempted to get it despite not knowing much about it since I've heard mostly positive things about the series.

Attached: Complete Earthsea.jpg (1400x1805, 509K)

To be honest I actually liked Finree in the Heroes, hers makes more sense, raised by her anal general Father solely in the company of men. Murcatto was the more annoying character, I've never bought into the sexy femme fatale general character he tried to write, the entirety of Best Served Cold felt like Joe wrote a male character but penned her down as a she.

>wrote a male character but penned her down as a she.
That's almost every single female protagonist in modern fiction.

Japan does the opposite. They draw a female, write a female, then call it male to fuck with people's sexuality, and have you questioning yourself.

so far in and it's the ham-fisted treatment of socioeconomics and class struggle that's irking me the most. joe isn't china meiville and iron council this is not.

>Grew up on it
Highschool virgin status confirmed

The language isn't terribly difficult but it's written like a puzzle you have to solve. If you miss subtle details you won't be able to understand what's going on. After I read it and confirmed my interpretation from Gene Wolfe interviews I posted on here about it and got responses from people who apparently read it and did not understand the plot at all. I haven't read BotNS for comparison as I decided to stop reading Wolfe after Cerberus. I don't think I particularly like that type of writing style.

I'm pretty sure you're just gay, user

Attached: 1568771400382-tv.jpg (974x1061, 87K)

It's anti-white and the author is a crypto-commie anarchist from Berkeley.

But is it good?
Not a burger so I don't care about anti-white or anti-capitalism.

>t. kebab

What is your honest opinion about Robin Hobb?
More specifically this trilogy.
The premise seems pretty alright but I've never read anything by her.

Attached: Ship of Magic.jpg (1467x2405, 564K)

You seem to be confusing gender and sex.

Fuck of tranny

>You seem to be confusing apples and apples

dilate

a few selected boards
posts per minute currently
v: 86.16
pol: 83.23
vg: 74.3
b: 64.7
tv: 39.15
a: 28.46
co: 26.9
trash: 18.4
tg: 16.03
sp: 13.51
asp: 10.56
x: 5.5
his: 5.23
lit: 4.55
o: 3.7
adv: 2.65
s4s: 1.2
hr: 0.75
trv: 0.33
3: 0.16
y: 0.05

That isn't how that works at all.
Tomboys exist.
Most never have SRS.

Any one who says they like fantasy should at least attempt to read Hobb. Some of her characters don't always make the best choices or get happy endings and the sense of depression and melancholia puts some people off. However she's a very good writer, one of the best in the genre, and the Ship's series is arguably her best. While it is standalone there is enough overlap with the original Fitz trilogy to warrant reading that first.

>Tomboys exist
Yes, and they're still girls you tranny mongoloid

gender is behavior
sex is body.
Unclear why you think they are the same.

$500 says same user

You'd be wrong then.

You are fucking retarded

Attached: Screenshot_20190918-193121.jpg (1304x1304, 344K)

Yes, let's use our preferred dictionaries.
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gender
gender (countable and uncountable, plural genders)
Identification as a man, a woman or something else, and association with a (social) role or set of behavioral and cultural traits, clothing, etc; a category to which a person belongs on this basis. (Compare gender role, gender identity.)

and then on what you linked:
Usage note
Although it is possible to define gender as “sex,” indicating that the term can be used when differentiating male creatures from female ones biologically, the concept of gender, a word primarily applied to human beings, has additional connotations—more rich and more amorphous—having to do with general behavior, social interactions, and most importantly, one's fundamental sense of self.

Look faggot (literal), this is the sffg thread. We don't care about your pop university studies about changing preexisting things to match your current agenda. Unless this talk pertains to a genre book, fuck off.
You wanna talk philosophy go to You wanna your gender tripe Moot made you faggots a board for a reason.

Thanks for conceding.

The English language is not mutable to your personal (insane) beliefs, no matter what your gender studies teacher told you.
Based
That's a different user, Mr. Tranny

Bigotry is against the rules of 4channel cease at once.

>The English language is not mutable to your personal (insane) beliefs
Actually, it entirely is, based on how so many words mean differently on Yea Forums than standard usage. It's unclear why you are arguing for linguistic prescriptivism.

Ah, so you concede that the word has only (very recently) been co-opted by a certain group in an attempt to corrupt its meaning. Ok, thanks for playing! now chop ur peen and ball pls

Attached: 1568656726240-tv.jpg (774x850, 197K)

This

Dumb frogposter
I don't care about this discussion, I have no horse in this race, I just feel obligated to call anyone who posts frogs a dumb frogposter.

Sure, I concede it's only been several decades which is "very recently" relative to the existence of English.

And talking shit outside your containment board is also against the rules.
This is the book board and the fiction general.
The gay board and "gender" general is in /lgbt/
You are adding nothing that is on topic to this board nor the general.
I'm here to shit talk why elves are such massive degenerate sluts that pretend to be prim and proper. Not read about people telling other people what to believe. This is like a modern day crusade. People riding around the internet torching unbelievers who don't want to confirm. You have your specific board to shit talk. Unless you are talking about gender in some sff book, fuck off.

Congrats, you've won the Victim Olympics!

shut the fuck up you cancerous faggots. shut the fuck up and stop shitting up the thread. god i hate you people so much

Recommend me something good with elves.

The King of the Elves - Philip K Dick

The Broken Sword - Poul Anderson

>Monthly reading edition
Is there anybody who's finished it yet who can tell me if it's actually worth it?

SEETHE HARDER

Is this the power of webnovels?

Based Conan-chan

Attached: 1568322637478-lit.png (1278x810, 69K)

Already read both of them.

Then read them again, asshole.

No

An Archdemon's Dilemma - How to Love Your Slave Elf Bride
Welcome to Japan, Ms Elf!
The Elf is a Freeloader
From Elf Reincarnation to Cheat Kingdom Founding Chronicle

kek

Elves don't diet.

>if it's actually worth it
Only you and perhaps people similar to you can decide that.

As I am dissimilar to you, my opinion is irrelevant.

We're all pink on the inside

>doesn't know I'm an alien

Would you fuck an elf?

Attached: mPBe69o.png (1645x951, 187K)

You could literally change "elf" to "black" and it'd be the same except real life.

What the fuck is this?

Dunno. I found the screenshot on /tg/ in an elf thread some time ago. I cropped only a "funnyjunk" watermark from the bottom. Reverse image search didn't return anything only walls of text that are completely unrelated.

Hmmmm don't know. I depends on the elf, I don't see one Tolkeins elves being that interested in sexual relations with me to be quite honest. Might fuck a terrible knock off fantasy elf though.

I didn't finish the first book. I think it was the way it tried to wrap itself in "storytelling language" while being a pretty simple and boring plot. Like, it's written like a short "once upon a time" tale, but it drags on and on. I didn't like it, and it was always second fiddle to other YA novels for a reason, IMO.

>but it drags on and on.
Welcome to female writers. They write stories the same way they tell stories. All those comedians were right.

>nothing really happened
The whole thing with Thecla in the tower, his expulsion, the journey to the land of the dead, and the basis of his relationship with Agia - which remains important - all happened. Yes, Jolenta is the waitress, Dr. Talos performed extensive plastic surgery on and brainwashed her.

How about a Witcher style elf?

Attached: Witcher 3 elf.jpg (1280x720, 174K)

That is a woman from Mesquite, Texas who has been "saving up" to buy a new truck for eight years. Hard pass.

But she has pointy ears!

Only if I get to fuck a really racist one that calls me d'hoine when cum buckets inside her elven womb.

Her mother didn't pay attention to her in the crib and she slept on them wrong.

OK OK what about Lirazel?
She is LITERALLY a perfect, ageless, sweet elf wife. You will need to take responsibility though.

Attached: Lirazel.jpg (800x1200, 894K)

Why, is she retarded? Why do her hands look like feet?

Artist can't into drawing hands I guess.

This is a true elf.

Attached: elf.png (1698x2500, 1.58M)

Does this apply to as well?

Yes.

I read a couple chapters of this and it seemed super boring, idc about pirates. The first chapters of Assassin's Apprentice seemed alright.

I haven't liked what I've read by this author.

>Dunsany
BASED

BIG NEWS

youtu.be/GtD0TNAr0LI
youtu.be/GtD0TNAr0LI
youtu.be/GtD0TNAr0LI

Reading exerpts from Lord of the Rings, as well as giving my general thoughts, on a week per chapter basis.

Attached: A shortcut to mushrooms.png (963x496, 310K)

>Tell me about Wizard of Earthsea /sffg/ how good is it?
It's great. Nowadays it reads somewhat cliche simply because it's one of the most copied fantasy books except Lord of the Rings. However all cliches are there for a reason, not because it's expected from a book in the genre. Regardless anyone who's interesting in the history of fantasy should read the 3 first books.

The blurb by that idiot GRRM is actually spot on (and also illustrate that he have literally no clue how fantasy ought to be written). Robin Hobb is a perfect example of generic, dark but not yet grimderp, 90s-00s fantasy. Not bad but also not nothing special.

>Is there anybody who's finished it yet
I've finished the two first stories. The first one was fun, the second is basically image related. I'd say it's worth it.

Attached: Brainchad.jpg (710x823, 136K)

>So, if I made a goat pretty enough, you'd fuck it?
I mean yes.

is wheel of time good

100% Because pol is the only real intellectual's board.

To elaborate some more, I disagree with . One of the weak points of the book is the sparse use of dialogue, probably in an attempt to emulate the mystical feel of Lord Dunsany who Le Guin kinda idolized, which results in more tell than show when it comes to character development. The book would have benefited from not being so brief.

No.

no but probably a chick

are you a tranny or a hermaphrodite? asking for a friend.

i meant the person being responded to

Comfy zombie apocalypse with powers. You guys should read it

Attached: 9781448177004_200x_ex-heroes_e-bok.jpg (200x315, 18K)

I haven't read anything in months. Suggest me some sci-fi with AI. Something like Ghost in the Shell if you've seen that film.

Attached: a28470044634454dd02e7a36c0a70c05.jpg (736x398, 68K)

No. The first book is comfy though.

Still Neuromancer. Neal Asher's Cormack series has some similarities but isn't earth bound.

We don't read plebbit crap.

>elves as different species
Nice.

>not sure

fuck off, you know full well it's not african.

tfw no Chaima gf

It is terrible.

Herald of Shalia

so what do we think about wot upcoming series

Attached: Wheel of Time cast.jpg (1988x5668, 1.43M)

Oh, it's this one by the way Never would have thought it would be posted here. That part is the best part of the book.
>they were both elves, you fucked an elf

> Yea Forums
No thanks. That board is actually worse than /pol/

>worse than /pol/
kek
There's this place that will respect your sensitivities. It's called r/fantasy.

Yeah, but thankfully that does not actually turn Yea Forums into a board about television & film.

Attached: GRRRRRRRM.jpg (10000x6121, 3.02M)

Based. Fucking racist girls is the best. The look of disgust mixed with need in their eyes is almost enough to send one over the edge. What makes the buckets cum is when she returns for repeat performances and you see the fear of growing attachment and gaining feelings in her eyes. They never know what to do.

It really doesn't matter whether this is appropriate for /sffg/. The thing is, this is shit series being adapted for a shit medium.

I have read the first five books of Amber and Lord of Light, an the prose doesn't even come close to Peake, Wolfe, Dunsany, or similar.
Not to mention my complaint was about the substance not about the prose. Being pulp doesn't imply bad writing. Zelazny lacked artistic depth, his plots are basically the same tropes retold for the billionth time, but there're a few twists to subdue the reader.
The point is that Corwin was an absolute moron, his actions didn't make sense, and his motivations were unoriginal.
Also Zelazny has just enough depth so that halfwits can feel superior while reading it (as opposed to LitRPG or ledditfantasy), but is simple enough that one can understand it even if he is a lowbrow.

is there a sci-fi essay genre? like that guy isaac arthur's videos but written

I don't think about it at all and if you do, there is something deeply wrong with you.

What is /sffg/ opinion on Octavia Butler?

I've only read Lilith's Brood and I found it really bad, in all aspects. I'm not able to understand why she is so popular given that Lilith is one of her "best" books.

>female writer
Come on, son.

what blurb?

"Counting Heads" by David Marusek.

>>female writer

>>black female writer

>Octavia
Unless something extraordinary is happening I wouldn't even think about reading a book written by a female.

Parable of the Sower is great. Lilith's Brood is only good if you continue the series

Nice larp

Cant be worse than the books

>no McCaffrey

It was almost impossible to fail, but you still did it

Attached: AchDuMeineGoethe.jpg (300x402, 27K)

>not wanting to read regurgitated, retarded memes and shitty opinions all day long means you are too sensitive
Yeah, no, you can fuck right off.
Bet you think frogposting is funny too.

we had no good fantasy movie since LOTR

Tx user
Would you fuck ur homies butthole?
Kek
Based goatfucker
Burning Chrome, William Gibson
14 by same author was comfy Lovecraftian comedy/horror fun. I recommend

Egads!

Shieeet, you niggas ain't talking about fantasy.

Attached: isnAdqJR3cY.jpg (729x1097, 222K)

>I have read the first five books of Amber and Lord of Light, an the prose doesn't even come close to Peake, Wolfe, Dunsany, or similar.

I suppose that's a matter of taste, but I find him to be superior to all those you mentioned. I can't atm think of anything, by any author, that rivals the lyricism of The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth, or that packs the raw emotional impact of Comes Now the Power in so few pages.

>Not to mention my complaint was about the substance not about the prose. Being pulp doesn't imply bad writing. Zelazny lacked artistic depth, his plots are basically the same tropes retold for the billionth time, but there're a few twists to subdue the reader.

That's just flat out untrue, not to mention baseless, as you've only read two of his stories. Zelazny is widely regarded, even in literary circles, as one of the most original authors of our time.

>The point is that Corwin was an absolute moron, his actions didn't make sense, and his motivations were unoriginal.

Again, untrue. I understand that you don't like the character, but if you can't even comprehend Corwins motivations your issue is either a lack of life experience or reading comprehension.

>Also Zelazny has just enough depth so that halfwits can feel superior while reading it (as opposed to LitRPG or ledditfantasy), but is simple enough that one can understand it even if he is a lowbrow.

According to the man himself, he wrote that way intentionally, so that his stories could be read and reread on many different levels. Even his simplest short stories run layers deep. Take another look, if all you can see are the surface elements (which are still top tier) you just might be the midwit.

Attached: chronicles_of_amber__bleys_by_coupleofkooks-d6kcuq1.jpg (554x1000, 421K)

Based Bleys weeding out uninformed opinions.

How is the elric saga? should i read it? and if yes where do i start

Attached: Elric_amano.jpg (1268x853, 264K)

>How is the elric saga?
Iz good.

>should i read it?
Definitely.

>and if yes where do i start
From the first published book you weeb.

Attached: xnQLGmIa_6c.jpg (1080x1080, 178K)

All I could think was that the Mars colony's only real option was to go for the AI route to one day strike back the the Oankali.

I'm reading the second Mistborn book. This Zane stuff is pretty retarded.

How do I find a book that has a certain plot without spoiling it?

This is highly unattractive. Stop posting your low quality images.

Say that you're looking for a book, then put the information you have in spoiler tags.

No, he's asking for something like, "How do I find books that have an unreliable narrator without knowing that it has an unreliable narrator thus spoiling that it's an unreliable narrator?"

The answer is that it's not possible.
Another example: How do I find a murder mystery book where the protagonist is the murderer but that isn't revealed until the end and I want to be completely surprised by that.

Is this still the place to have my own creative writing on sci-fi and Fantasy eviscerated by a bunch of unwashed nerds on the internet whose opinion I don't really care about?

No, and it never has been.
This is where you go:

Stop samefagging. Don't use "he" when we know both posts are yours.

Except it isn't.
You need to adjust your detection heuristic and lower your paranoia.

What possible reason would someone have to do that?

S&S chads where you at?

Attached: 1556459033286.jpg (918x1400, 271K)

Reading A Little Hatred

Attached: AAA.PNG.png (739x512, 915K)

>abercrombie
No thanks.

Elric was created specifically as a subversion of Conan so he's very emo. If that doesn't bother you then sure, check it out and you should start with pic related.

Attached: SOScover.jpg (480x720, 113K)

Conanfag here. Just recently finished reading two dank S&S anthologies: Rogues of Merth and Return of the Sword. Rogues of Merth was a lot of fun despite being a blatant ripoff of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. Highly recommended. Return of the Sword is an S&S anthology that came out 10 years or so ago and was pretty solid all the way through.

Attached: robin-recht-img-0011.jpg (1578x2048, 755K)

It wasn't a recommendation. it's good tho

>first published
Ordinarily I'd agree but for elric not so much.

It's overrated pile of garbage, and Moorcock is a jealous hack, who likes to talk shit about works of his betters like Tolkien, Heinlein, Lovecraft, and others.

Attached: JAmbercrombie.jpg (877x500, 32K)

Speaking of Moorcock, he has a new 14k word story in in the most recent issue of The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction. I haven't got around to reading it yet though.

>Gene Wolfe canceled: science fiction author had racist and sexist views influenced by racists like Chesterton and Kipling
How long do we have?

Wolfe was never popular enough to warrant being Cancel Culture'd.

It's weird how Moorcock is that typical leftshit writer in the sense that he thinks anything that doesn't preach his particular brand of politics and beliefs shouldn't be read yet he loves REH and Conan.

Attached: 200.gif (311x200, 1.46M)

You don't feel the same way?

Ironically he frequently cites Paul Anderson who was right-liberalist and staunch militarist as inspiration.

Requesting link

Attached: eVVpBL8_d.jpg (640x464, 41K)

I'm subscribed to the magazine and I don't feel like providing it.

>He doesn't have it

Attached: 1568766700369-tv.jpg (1152x922, 98K)

>trying to use reverse psychology

Dumb frogposter

>Kindergarten psychology
Definitely doesn't have it
Pic related

Attached: 1562127792421-lit.png (1996x1580, 414K)

So, Baxter's new book just came out. I liked the Xeelee stuff but apparently this doesn't have anything to do with it. Is anyone planning to read it? It's also not on libgen or z-lib either, so I'd appreciate a like if anyone's got it.

Attached: 9781473223172.jpg (440x636, 46K)

What YA releases should I be on the look out for this upcoming season?

You prefer to be teased?
Well, ok

Kabul
Michael Moorcock is a legendary writer and editor. This story is his first appearance in Fantasy & Science Fiction.
By Michael Moorcock | 14976 words

Shortly after sunrise, when we had already been on the move for an hour, Colonel Savitsky raised his gloved hand and brought our cavalry to a straggling halt at the mouth of a wide, barren valley. He gestured to me. I rode up and offered him a somewhat useless map. Nuclear strikes on Lahore and Amritsar had set off a domino effect. Massive quakes had shaken the entire region and not yet completely settled. Two major earth movements in three days had lost us several men and horses. Rockfalls were frequent. For safety, we followed the middle of the valleys as much as we could, riding beside newly diverted rivers and streams, fresh lakes. Our ragged cavalry, strung out in double file for almost a kilometer behind us, was still mostly Zaporizhian Cossacks, but we also had large numbers of Uzbek, Turkmen, and Tajik riders as well as a few miscellaneous others picked up along the way. In our long trek across a continent, we had gathered remnants of UN and NATO Special Forces, some Sikhs, and a few local bandits on foot who saw safety in numbers. We were a funeral procession riding at the walk. The villages were buried. The cities were dust.

>wanting a book literally the same day it comes out
Ha ha, whew. You should try the relevant IRC channels that have daily releases.

Not him, but is #bookz still good?

I personally use #ebooks on irchighway.

Seems pretty boring

>A like
Get out.

Joke's on you already read all five books in the serie and am now just sad he won't continue it. I really wanted to see them meeting other hero protected survivor groups.

does anyone have a download link for the new waldo rabbit book

Unclear if you disliked that he mistyped "link" or that you were triggered by the word "like".

It's probably on Kindle Unlimited.

A Thousand Deaths Through Flesh and Stone - Brian Trent

Should I screencap this and add it as a chart? I'd be amused anyway.

Whats a good mystery book?

Seems
An
Interesting
Take
On
The
Subject
Matter

It's gonna be the Jolenta scene that gets him if anything does (it won't, he's not popular enough -- there's nothing to grab).

The Curious Case of the Moondawn Daffodils Murder - Garth Nix
Read it in the anthology Ghosts by Gaslight

Also liked The Summer Palace - Jeffrey Ford in that anthology.

Okay Orso in the new Joe Abercrombie book seems pretty based.

Welcome to Moorcock.

>Roger Zelazny - The Chronicles of Amber
Meh, I didn't like anything after the MC married the Chaos girl.
>Gene Wolfe - The Book of the New Sun
Unreliable Narrators are overrated.
>Ursula K. Le Guin - A Wizard of Earthsea
Seems derivative, even though I know it's not.

I'm miffed that the dragon parts of the Elderrealm are required reading for the later parts of the series; I find the characters boring. I read the first dragon trilogy (the liveships one), and it was boring, and tried to read the second dragon trilogy, but I couldn't stand it.
I want to read the Fitzchivalry books without being in the dark.
And no, I'm not going to read a synopsis of the books I haven't read, the information doesn't stick in my head from a synopsis.

Attached: 705.jpg (1440x810, 141K)

books leaning on the good ol
ultraviolent?

>Wake n bake
>Get some whores
>Snort coke 'til it's gone
>Power drink to take the edge off
>Lunch time
Yeah, I'm thinking he's based

Attached: My Diary Desu.png (500x775, 469K)

Aes Sedai should be exterminated.

The mc doesn't get married

Oh, I know he had a kid, guess I remembered wrong.

You guys hitting the gym?

>Elric
>emo
Oh boy.

Attached: 1421307044460.webm (960x540, 2.96M)

just tell me what to read
something with a fair bit of degeneracy but still done tastefully

Attached: 1566351950929.jpg (916x1173, 229K)

No, frogposters deserve nothing.

>degeneracy but still done tastefully
I prowl amazon on the search of such thing.

im reading the shield hero manga
its cool

Why not the novel?

whats a good book that will make me better at dota 2

>Degenerate
>Tasteful
Wut?

Ninja: Get Good: My Ultimate Guide to Gaming

Attached: 9781984826756_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg (339x406, 26K)

The liberal fears the frog

Attached: 1568069659594-pol.jpg (1024x991, 145K)

i had no idea there was a novel
is it translated?

this is a good blessed picture

Yes, the novel is the original source.
It is officially translated.
nyaa.si/view/1175169
There's also an anime and a spin-off series.

It's Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari in that torrent, the Japanese name.

or you can use the mega in the torrent description.

Actually it's used by a wide variety of people, including liberals. As is all the others shown there as well.

My diary desu

thank you very much

>Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon

Voting this as next monthly reading

I've briefly looked at everything in that torrent. It was rather silly. The vending machine protagonist is actually strapped to the back of another character and carried around. You ought to look at it a bit first before saying something like that.

is The Dark Tower by King good

I consider it essential King at this point

are there any good sci fi westerns but with little-no romance

>are there any good sci fi westerns but with little-no romance
Wat?

Is a "sci-fi western" something like Westworld?

No. It highlights how much of a hack King really is.

No that's just sci-fi.
I think he's talking about some YA shit with Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday armed with plasma revolvers.

Why you gotta be like that man? Why you gotta be negative?

Attached: kelly2a.jpg (800x333, 35K)

Further thoughts on why I kinda disliked the ending of Fall of Hyperion: The details of the ending did not feel thought out. Discorporate Keats saving Rachel and Brawne killing the Shrike, for example, felt so random.

>YA shit with Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday armed with plasma revolvers
Maybe some of Heinlein's juveniles?

I am not really a fan of Heinlein. Besides that user is looking for some YA.

is The Postman by Davin Brin good

I really have to wonder if it's just a single user posting "is x good?" constantly in with little time between each question

yes its all me, just looking for something to read and I'm half asleep

>Why you gotta be like that man? Why you gotta be negative?
It's an unwritten rule that any writer who writes himself into his own stories is a hack.

Sleep.

>ACKSHYUALLY
Lol shut up commie

Attached: 1568610272648-tv.png (600x600, 170K)

Man that's no rule, that's your bullshit.

Shut up, Stephen.

I just finished reading The Urth of the New Sun. Can someone explain to me what the fuck was going on in the series? I'm a massive brainlet.

>tfw you're reading a story and enjoying it, but realize it should be a lot shorter than it is and gradually you just want it to end

Bit of a Flashman vibe.

Just knock if off with the negative waves.
No need to huff and puff.

Attached: ODDBALL_SAYS.jpg (568x824, 83K)

Ted Chiang is a fucking hack. In the beginning of the third story he claim that multiplying infinity by zero equals zero when the actual behaviour is undefined. Absolutely unreadable.

Attached: What the fuck am I reading.jpg (539x726, 191K)

What a hack.

>chink can't do math
Dishonorable.

Ancestor cry.

Attached: weihan.jpg (400x400, 20K)

Attached: Shamefur.jpg (1920x1039, 125K)

That's why it's called fiction.

It's a story about mathematical proofs and shit for fucks sake. NO EXCUSES! Although the rest of the story is quite good.

Thoughts on this /sffg/? I just bought an incredibly dog-eared copy from a charity shop.

Smells like old peoples houses.

Attached: 71R7PI9QLBL.jpg (601x1000, 158K)

Attached: 1512676895357.jpg (3000x3000, 2.58M)

Guys, I really need your help.
Going though a rough breakup and need some good, comfy as fuck books to bury myself in, in those moments of withdrawal where my reptilian brain urges me to go back to her.

Attached: My Twisted World.jpg (310x475, 42K)

Your empathy has warmed my heart,user. Were it not for your compassion, wordless as it was, with just that image designed to lift up my spirits, I would have gone on a killing spree.
Anyway, what do you think of pic related? Comfy?

Attached: 51-TOtX11mL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (326x499, 43K)

>Comfy?
5% comfy, 95% pure retardation and nerd power fantasies. Avoid at all cost.

Damn. What would you recommend?

I admittedly have not read that much comfy fantasy so here goes nothing:
The Hobbit
Howl's Moving Castle
Lyonesse
The Dragonbone Chair

Thank you user.
Will look into all of those.
I read LOTR and was comfy as hell. Tried to get into the Silmarillion but kind of trailed off midway.
Never read any of the ones you mentioned.

>two of his stories
I never get statements of this sort. Why am I obliged to read everything by an author to critique him? It is uninituitive. If I read 2 books and don't like them, I am not going to continue.
>even in literary circles
Most people citing him according to google scholar seem to be AI techbro's writing about transhumanism, and even then he seems to have no academic presence to speak of, so I don't know what literary circles you are referencing.
>can't even comprehend Corwins motivations
I never said that, you dumbfuck. I said they were unoriginal. And you completely skip over the fact that the point isn't even his motivations, but the actions he takes to get closer to his goals. He was stupid. Take the first book for example: he gets captured after a complete dumb-fuck berserk attack on Amber without any sort of a clever plan to speak of, and massively inferior forces and only gets saved by a textbook Deus Ex Machina from prison.
>he wrote that way intentionally
It can be pulled off. I have read the entirety of Hemingway's writings and he consistently pulled it of. The difference is Hemingway had a ton hidden implicit substance, while all those things that make you feel smart while reading Zelazny (perhaps you could see a level of depth in Trump cards, and then another level even deeper!) are actually shallow compared to authors like Dunsany, whose meaning you probably missed entirely.
Anyways, saying that I just missed everything but the surface elements is not a valid argument. If you think I missed something important, please tell me what I missed and why it is highbrow.
Actually I jut realized you said his prose was better than Peake's and just wrote it off to "taste" whatever that means. So everything I wrote is probably useless, given you are clearly a bonobo immune to any sort of rational inquiry.

If you want more like LotR you could check out Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth and Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword.

A pretentious story of smugness, self mastication of ones own cleverness full of sexually awkward beta male fantasies and cuckoldry.
A comfy narrative and prose perhaps but I despise fans salivating over the worthiness of this book and its author, who very clearly has no clue on how to resolve this pitiful excuse of a plot and is thus very clearly a fraudulent hack.

I've never understood why people seem to think Zelazny is super high brow or whatever, I enjoy his books for fun. But I read his books and all books for fun the same way I watch anime for fun, it's for entertainment and not for uber deep themes.

Same, I love Zelazny, but I also love Hunter x Hunter. This Immortal was fucking amazing though.

Night in the Lonesome October might not be high brow but it's doubtless somewhat of a literary tour de force. The idea that he's high brow probably came from Lord of Light, which was admittedly quite unique when it was released.

I liked Hunter x Hunter a lot too. It's by no means my favourite anime, though. I need to read This Immortal, since I've only read Lord of Light and Chronicles of Amber by him.

I guess that depends on what constitutes a literary novel. Lord of Light has wonderful worldbuilding and uses all my favourite tropes and I love the scifantasy bits of it but I wouldn't think of it as having a lot of literary merit.

When I think of something that I would describe as literary, I would immediately think of a work that is unusual and doesn't fall into what I would consider to be the usual fantasy norms and which has something about it that is unique and bizarre about it. For example, I'd never read anything like Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius before.

>by no means my favourite anime
Well now I need to know what WAS your favourite anime.
Also based opinions about Zelazny and Borges

My tastes are pretty clustered together. I'd say Darker than Black (S1+ OVAs but not S2). There's a lot of memorable moments in that anime from the obeisances to the mystery of the Gates. And of course, the worldbuilding is very similar to stories written by the Strugatsky Brothers like Roadside Pincic, strange happenings in the Doomed City and within the Noon Universe.

Since you mention Borges, think about his Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote and apply it to Lord of Light. Today the book is nothing special or groundbreaking but when it was originally released the tropes, worldbuilding, use of religions and to a certain degree sci-fantasy was not commonplace. It was unusual and did not fall into the fantasy norms of the time. And while I don't consider Zelazny especially highbrow either his reputation have simply lasted since then.

What the fuck does originality have to do with being literary?

URTH AINT FREE

It's difficult to imagine a time before tropes etc became commonplace. I guess over time certain popular ideas may become abandoned and one day some new civilisation will pick it up and see it as original, then see it rise as popular, to be abandoned and then it will be picked up again...

Jesus Christ

Attached: botns.png (853x625, 37K)

Now I'm not the one to decide what's literary or not but I'd say that innovating literature, pushing on the boundaries in one way or another is a big part of it.

You seem to have vast a misconceptions on what people mean when they say literary fiction.

Characteristics of literary fiction generally include one or more of the following:

A concern with social commentary, political criticism, or reflection on the human condition.[6]
A focus on "introspective, in-depth character studies" of "interesting, complex and developed" characters,[6][7] whose "inner stories" drive the plot, with detailed motivations to elicit "emotional involvement" in the reader.[8][9]
A slower pace than popular fiction.[10] As Terrence Rafferty notes, "literary fiction, by its nature, allows itself to dawdle, to linger on stray beauties even at the risk of losing its way".[11]
A concern with the style and complexity of the writing: Saricks describes literary fiction as "elegantly written, lyrical, and ... layered".[12]
Unlike genre fiction plot is not the central concern.[13]
The tone of literary fiction can be darker than genre fiction.[10]

I'll try to elaborate a little. Something distinctively derivative and unoriginal would fail to satisfy most traits you quote. It could of course be social or political criticism, but just regurgitating made points would not be considered reflection. A character study would not be a study if it were not original, it would be conforming to a trope. Of course originality is not the only, or most important, attribute of a literary work but it IS important.

I'll make the comparison to Don Quixote again, an almost identical text published today would never be considered literary. It would be ridiculed for it's lowbrow jokes, focus on plot and literally being an 900 page long joke at the expense of a retard. What was literary and social commentary at the time would not be so after 400 years of literary and social progress.

Attached: Don Quixote.png (576x216, 161K)

Originality has nothing to do with being literary, and you can write a book that is entirely literary fiction that at the same time does nothing new.
Even if you have strong enough mental blocks to resist the above statement, I really hope you don't deny that being original doesn't make a science fiction book literary.

No, like I said in my last post I do not believe that originality is the only attribute required for a work to be considered literary.

>Originality has nothing to do with being literary, and you can write a book that is entirely literary fiction that at the same time does nothing new
Would you say Tolkien is "more literary" than Robert Jordan? Anyway, I would. However Jordan is not a bad writer, I find his prose enjoyable enough and his characters are interesting. The main reason I consider Tolkien superior is that he, while inspired by existing works and mythology, created something truly original, basically creating the modern fantasy genre while Jordan only rehashed Tolkien with a splash of Arthurian legends. Jordan's work is cliche, Tolkien's literary.

I definitely consider originality and execution to be an important mark of good literature and so both of those two factors come to mind when I think of something that is literary.

The first four and Wind Through the Keyhole are good

agree, with wizard and glass probably being the best.

youtube.com/watch?v=FrlymHW0qU8

Tolkien is shit and now your opinion has been completely disregarded. Do not (you) me again.

Damn I must've stuck a nerve to inspire such an absolutely sperged out brainlet tier rant. Also, buddy, you gotta change up your writing style if you're gonna samefag yourself that hard. You're the only one here that types like an ESL kid pretending he's a literary critic. Really stands out.

>1st bullshit point
I never said you have to read everything, but you clearly haven't read enough. What a retarded jump in logic.

>2nd bullshit point
I'm starting to think you don't quite understand what literary means, ie definitely ESL

>3rd bullshit point
For someone who claims to read beyond the surface of a given work, you sure miss a lot. It was a suicide attack you absolute fuckwit. Neither he nor Bleys were counting on it succeeding, and both knew the first up the stairs was done for, but their pride demanded it be done, and it still almost worked. Back to r/aznmasculinity with you.

>Final bullshit point
I'm not going to walk you through everything you missed because 1) you're full of shit (and yourself), so it would be a waste of time; and 2) you seem to have missed literally everything, including obvious in your face plot elements. Zelazny clearly isn't for you. Stop beating off to hentai, get a girlfriend, do some growing up, strengthen your grasp on the English language, then, maybe, come back and give it another try.

Attached: chronicles_of_amber__benedict_iii_by_coupleofkooks-dag3qw5.jpg (687x1163, 210K)

Why is amberfag user such a fag?

I have a hard time understanding what post you're even replying to.

Attached: Lolwut.jpg (533x594, 191K)

>T. Assblasted eslfag

Yeah, I fugged up. It's in response to

Born and raised on the Queen's English, actually.

>Werrcome to Corinwarr

Attached: Screenshot_20160724-000432.jpg (1914x1439, 950K)

Is this a meme or did Wolfe actually get canceled??

TREAD CUNNY GET THE THREAD

What do people see in this book? I was thoroughly underwhelmed.

Attached: Ann_Leckie_-_Ancillary_Justice.jpeg.jpg (220x348, 21K)

What do people see in Tolkien?

At least Tolkien has historically significant world building. What does ancillary justice have?

all female pronouns

A rec from the basedboy himself Scalzi. Something which Tolkien lacks.

wtf I love shoot em ups now

I stopped reading at samefag, because I know for sure that it is a false accusation you seem to be certain of, and thus are not worth arguing with.
Enjoy knowing you typed it out for nothing

father of all fantasy

btw I just realized that literally none of the messages you referenced were by me

Who is the Broly of fantasy?

I still have trouble believing that's a thing.

not winning any awards without some woke gimmick

>I-I'm not samefagging and I d-didn't even read your p-p-post haha
Your not fooling anyone, midwit

Attached: b2htYGV_d.jpg (600x600, 50K)

This is what you get if you force me to post the new thread.

No, but the implied meme is that due to a lot of authors,like Geiman, liking wolfie people are bound to dread up shit on his influences (Chesterton: chinamen, Kipling: white man's burden) or how there aren't any blacks or how a lot are eurocentric myths/interpretation of greece. Also the sexism from him being a Catholic and not including the gay