Was Boromir really corrupted by the ring, or was he merely trying to do as his father had told him to do...

Was Boromir really corrupted by the ring, or was he merely trying to do as his father had told him to do, get a hold of the ring and take it back to Gondor?

Attached: mean_gandalv.jpg (1920x1804, 564K)

isn't it the same ?

No.

Yes.

No, but also yes.

Elaborate please.

well the way ops question is phrased is that maybe boromirs father was corrupted by the ring, and boromir was more motivated by his father. no and yes means although he may also have been driven by the power of the ring maybe he only truly felt the corruption in its presence.

Boromir wanted to live up to his father's expectations, and he also believed in the goodness of humanity and the glory of Gondor. The One Ring corrupts by preying upon seeming good intentions and twisting them for evil purposes. Boromir wholeheartedly believed that evil could be defeated, but did not properly understand how. He did understand that the ring was powerful, and he saw that Gondor was desperate for an answer to its crumbling power and the rise of the Dark Lord's influence. The ring influenced these feelings to such an extent that it drove him to act in a way that he would not have under other circumstances. He struggled with the conflicting beliefs that the ring could save Gondor and that the ring was dangerous and evil. The ring tempts all that come into contact with it by its nature. This is a central theme of the entire work. Galadriel and Gandalf explicitly state how the ring corrupts. It is also important to note that Denethor used his palantír and was influenced by Sauron in that way, so his desire for the ring was not uncorrupted.

In contrast to Boromir, Faramir also understands the desperation of Gondor and the possible power the ring might provide, but sees that to use a weapon of the Dark Lord is to fuel the Dark Lord's agenda.

/thread

But...

Does it actually say explicitly in the book that Boromir was corrupted by the ring?

Remember, he set out there with a mission from his father, that they had to get the ring. It was why he went to the council, to steal the ring back to gondor.

Then... later he attempts to take it a few times as he travels with them am I right? But where does it describe that he was getting corrupted by the ring, and not just trying to take the ring simply as he was told to?

Only in dialogue.

How was it said in dialogue?

He just told you. The ring preys on Boromir's emotions. That's how the ring works. That's why the otherwise noble Boromir tries to steal the ring Do you need a passage that says "BOROMIR IS NOW CORRUPTED BY THE RING"?

That's an interpretation of how the ring would work to corrupt him and use his human emotions against him.
But you need to understand, Boromir had a mission from his father to go to the council and be part of it, so that he could steal the ring and take it to gondor. The book then describes that he tries to take the ring when he is at the council and also within the fellowship.

Now, what I'm asking is whether the book actually tries to convey the difference, whether Boromir actually got corrupted by the effects of the ring.
Or whether he was simply working towards the goal he set out to, stealing the ring.
OR (what I would assume if no clear text to help me out, and based on my understanding of how the ring works: a little bit of both)

"A madness took me"

t. Boromir son of Denethor

In the end, the real ring was inside us all along

The Lord of the Rings™: The Two Towers™ was the friends we made along the way

Why was Gandalf such a dick

Because it was a pretty important mission

Yes it fucking is, Because when a Maiar comes to you with a plan and you're a wholesome Eru-Iluvatar fearing member of the Race of Men; you better believe that your dad's wishes are less important than what the fucking Angel-in-a-pointy-hat is telling you to do.

Was he tho?
I mean he treated Pippin like shit, wouldn't you do the same?

What alot of people fail to realize is that there is meaning as to why gollum calls the ring his 'precious'. The ring is a representation of a solution our greatest desires. For boromir, the ring represented the revival of his royal house of Gondor, for Bilbo, it was his desire to have a sense of mystery and adventure after his journey to erebor had ended, and for frodo, the ring represents his desire to return to the peaceful green hills of the Shire. People often say that they can resist the temptation of the ring, but when it constantly whispers in your ear that it can make your dreams come true, it's hard to let go.

People fail to realize this because it's not in the book and you are merely intepretating this.

You should read Tolkien's letters. This is indeed what he meant to convey.

Then what did he say about OPs question?

Boromir himself realizes that he tried to steal the ring because of the One's influence. It's also all over his fucking character and a big showcase of how the One twists noble people into doing heinous thing

>"The first group is that of the totally corrupted, in which only Sauron, the maker of the Ring, appears. However, we will see that the issue of his corruption is not as absolute as it may seem. Then, I will present five partially corrupted characters: Gollum, Saruman, Frodo, Boromir, and Bilbo."
Litteraly first google search result.

Anti-intellectualism

>merely intepretating
What did he mean by this?