Im reading crime and punishment but idk who is who

im reading crime and punishment but idk who is who
they all have similar long names and i cant remember them
why is this book so stupid?

Attached: c&p.png (255x391, 167K)

TBK is the same way, just find a character list with all names and no spoilers

>bobby's first Russian novel

I'm also reading C&P for the first time and I'm fascinated by the psychological depth of the thoughts & actions of the characters.

how far are you into it?
im in part2, chapter 3 and the main character has been nothing but shit since the book started

I’m also reading this for the first time

All of this books from this era are like this. Just keep slogging until it gets good

He's fascinating. He's obviously struggling with himself, and he keeps "glitching forward". I'm in part 3, chapter 2

what translation are you reading?

does it matter?

>He's obviously struggling with himself
as he should, he murdered 2 innocent women in cold blood cus he thinks hes too good to work

I'm reading it too, at part 5 right now, two thirds through the book.

It's not so hard, once in a while I find a character I don't remember but by reading more I always get who they were. And besides, most editions have a name list at the end.

translation is key

Grab a piece of paper and write the names down then use that paper as a bookmark. It's always awesome to see people first start reading Dostoevsky. Hopefully you guys like it a lot, as his other two works are actually stronger if you can believe it. God Speed anons.

i guess ill have to do this
idk i just downloaded the book

>nothing but shit
wait till you see the climax

"other two books"
Not OP, but I've read Karamazov & Notes already. Karamazov is top3 book of mine
So? The cover, introduction, or even the index should tell you what translation it is. And not to mention the site you downloaded it from.
Imo: use libgen and get the latest translations from 2017, or the pevear one, though I heard that the P&V one for C&P is horrible compared to the Karamazov version

exactly what differs from one translation to another?

Main character is complex; read it through to the end to fully understand. Best character is easily Porfiry Petrovich. Based detective (really a investigative psychologist though).

not the user you replied to.

bro translation matters a lot. All you have to do is google "C&P translation comparison" and read a paragraph from different translators to get an idea of the differences. i legit spend at least an hour choosing the translation i think is the best. you're going to be reading the book for 20+ hours anyway so you might as well make sure you're reading something worthwhile.

Every fucking thing. The prose differs entirely in each translation. You're not reading Dostoevsky, but the translator's interpretation of Dosto.

Anglotresh can distinguish 4 different John in anglotresh books, but cant remember who is Andrei Ivanovich.
Lmao are you brainlet?

what if im reading the book in spanish?

you get fuckt, dude, even english versions is tresh

based
based

gay as hell

just got to part 5 chap 1 and can confirm hes based af

You might just be a brainlet
That was my first Russian lit and I figured out the names in less than 50 pages

Or just keep notes.

Is this your first fucking book or something? What's up with these questions?

based retard poster

actually though, its easy OP. Just read the names out loud whenever you encounter them in the text, even if you're not sure about the pronunciation. The association with sound to the name helps a ton. This of course works for all unfamiliar names you encounter in translated works.

>he doesn’t pronounce things and sound them out in his head

>he doesn't read the literal entire book out loud like a free uber-personalized audiobook

>not just translating the names as 'Rod Rascalson', 'Archibald Johnson Dukeson', 'Peter Peterson Puddle', 'Simon Marmalade', etc

Oh right,
>'MUH SLAVIC CULTURE!!!'

Fuck slavaboos

Attached: 1562530549272.gif (200x200, 2M)

>he doesn't hire a stage and bunch of actors to re-enact the book as you read it to them

Honestly, here's what I do. For my bookmark, I use a folded sheet of paper. When a new character is introduced (say, Lizaveta or Marmelodov), I jot down the FULL name [even if the full name is used in their introduction, he often reverts to just the patronym later] and a brief description of who he/she is.

And it's your bookmark, so it's always right there! I admit, in the beginning, I often mixed up Svidrigailov and Luzhin, but as I go on, I realize how absurd that is.

It's very important to leave the names in their original Slavic form which will not mean anything to the English reader because... well, it just and if you disagree you're a pseud.

Jesus christ do people actually do this....

>I need to keep the name incomprehensible so I can look sophisticated when I use slavic names in literary conversation

>I must dumb down the names because i am too stupid to remember a handful of differant characters

You missed his point, which was about how the names have connotative meanings in Russian which aren't communicated at all if you leave them in their Russian form.

>Hurr hurr I'm a nonce
Jump off a bridge

>Rod Rascalson
based and also gay

Just write down the names and who they are on a piece of paper you disgusting retard.