The Aeneid by Virgil

Is the Aeneid required reading after the Iliad and the Odyssey? If so, which translation should is best?

Attached: the aeneid.jpg (263x400, 20K)

Haven't read it but Fitzgerald's translation is well-regarded and I can vouch for his Odyssey translation. I think I remember someone on Yea Forums saying his translation was better than the Latin, lol.

I enjoyed the Lombardo translation, can't compare it to any others though

Yes, Dryden

I would recommend reading the Fitzgerald translation first, and if the epic really moves you, reread it with the Dryden translation.
Dryden’s translation is beautiful, but his poetic conventions are dated and are distracting if you are reading the Aeneid through for the first time.

Bump

yes, it is the best in the trilogy btw

It's required reading for all Romaboos even outside of the Iliad and the Odyssey.

I read the translation in your op and enjoyed it a lot. Defintely required op

Reading the Fitzgerald Iliad translation for the first time, my first go through the Iliad. It’s incredible, I was not expecting this out of ancient lit. Can’t wait to go through the odyssey and aneid

Thanks for the info!

Attached: 1567051811244.png (718x862, 530K)

How is it compared to pic related? Pic related has about 100 more pages, I think. Which one should I go with?

Forgot pic related

Attached: 1C536394-7B37-47E1-8135-59D76751C44F.jpg (882x1340, 240K)

>tfw no 'elleniosmos lakedaimon 'oplites to love
Bloody anime girls, they always make me so sad.

For real, why are anime girls the entelechy of the feminine? Did 3D women just exist so that anime could eventually perfect their form?

Bump

3D is just a shadow of 2D on a cave wall.

Is it wrong if I read the Iliad by one translator and Odyssey by another?

who's publishing the Fitzgerald translation?

Everyman Library

My Fitzgerald translation is published by Vintage-Random House.

Nothing is required reading. You wish to read or you don't. There is no reading law.
Aeneid is pretty damn good, however

DONT read without basic understanding of Roman history, you’ll miss all the irony.

OP, I still recommend the Fitzgerald translation if you are reading the Aeneid for the first time, but you can also go to Google Books and read samples of other translations.
IMHO, the other modern translations read like long sentences cut up into verse form. The Fitzgerald translation still has that epic “big fight fell” as we say at Yea Forums.

Fitzgerald is the GOAT when it comes to the Aeneid. But both Penguin and Oxford put out very competent editions either way so you'll be in good hands.

Attached: robert_fitzgerald.jpg (286x289, 19K)

I have the prose version, should I read the poem version or nah?

Attached: 1536508910612.jpg (400x602, 40K)

Has anyone read Ruden's translation?

>Nothing is required reading.

Are you serious, faggot? The Aeneid is definitely required reading--that is, if you started with the Greeks and intend to go on from there. Enjoy being a dilettante pseud.

Attached: 1568725246234.gif (400x276, 559K)

A translation? Of Latin? Are you retarded

It's really good

I really liked that version. Very easy to read and understand. Would highly recommend for a first time, or even just for someone who doesn't read much beyond current popular books among normies

Attached: madmen same price as a chip n dip.jpg (500x289, 34K)

Yes