Why was the Star Wars Expanded Universe so shitty? The movies weren't perfect and the games were quite good...

Why was the Star Wars Expanded Universe so shitty? The movies weren't perfect and the games were quite good, but it seems like all the fan novels took the IP, shit all over it, then shoved it back onto paper.

Why do huge franchises like Star Wars and Star Trek never produce any good expanded literary content?

Attached: ijedi.jpg (1008x675, 338K)

the bible desu.

literally who cares

Death Troopers is great.

desu my diary

Star Wars is shitty.

Plagueis

First of all the fanbase is happy with absolute bottom of the barrel shit as long as it has their favourite characters in it somehow. If they had standarts, then maybe better stuff would be written.
Which directly leads to the second reason it's shit. Everyone feels the need to have the well known characters do something. Most of the time that is completely out of character and fucks with further continuity. Then you have shit like Luke closing black holes with the force and the Emperor reappearing 10 times.

Take the Wh40K franchise for example. Shitload of books and nearly everytime they go away from the beefslab mcmanhuge established main characters (Primarchs and Spacemarine) and instead focus on their own characters, they turn out significantly better.

Because if you do something too different than is presented in the films (lightsabers, stormtroopers, x-wings, ect) then the fanboys won't want to read it.

Star Wars is not a series that should exist beyond the original trilogy.

Broad strokes of the EU are fine and all Lucas-tended to continuity. Later pre-demon mouse titles dramatically improved in quality. Hiring Nora Roberts-tier shlock mercenaries has to be considered when you're building the prequel films' warchest.

pic related may be used as a reference for worthwhile SW spin-offs. Does anyone know if the sequel is already out?

Attached: MAY110020.jpg (650x1000, 147K)

If Darth Maul could survive being bisected and falling down a mine shaft then why couldn't they save Qui-Gon? He only got a little stab and it probably did far less internal damage than the wounds Darth Maul must have had.

Attached: 1568665383681.gif (260x200, 62K)

he was cremated

Did the council have Qui-Gon killed off because he was going to testify before the senate about the Jedi abusing the Younglings?

the rates of jedi abusing younglings isn’t any different than that of the average population. stop listening to anti-jedi propaganda.

his ending is the coolest and he was brought back as a force ghost harder than Justin Timberlake brought sexy back

>not seeing through the lies of the jedi
never gonna make it

extra jedi acadamus nulla salus, heretic

It took me a long time to realise it was just the family drama and surface level fantasy schlock that I enjoyed out of Star Wars. Beyond the aesthetic, and barely that, there is no real point to any of the series. There is no great themes to it beyond a childish rendition of good vs evil, and basic spirituality through 'the force'. It's universal appeal is part of what makes it so weak narratively. The best non-film material I've seen of Star Wars are the Gennedy Clone Wars cartoons, and only because it focused on the cool factor of fights. It's all incredibly shallow. The movies having John Williams' score is what gives the heart to an otherwise novel series.

>familiy drama
not a bad thing. so is Hamlet or Oedipos.
>no great themes
different takes on eastern philosophy, history, dictatorships, and warrior philophies........
>childish rendition of bad versus evil
ever heard of grey jedi?
>shallow
no u

I read the 3 books about Darth Bane and the one about Plagueis a long time ago and I quite enjoyed it.

The bane trilogy is a really good read.
For a deeper examination of the force and its Philosophy, I recommend playing Kotor 2. It's not a book, but worth the time. As far as I know the only time Star Wars related media tried to get into deeper Philosophy