Damn, even the greatest works of literature is based on The Beatles

Damn, even the greatest works of literature is based on The Beatles.

Attached: C5B1C933-D874-4395-AE89-DCF1D6C63B13.jpg (1520x2348, 556K)

actually norwegian wood was probably his shittiest novel.

Different from his other works but not shitty. His worst book was Hard Boiled Wonderland. I don't get why people say it's his best work. Seemed unfocused, lifeless, and pretentious. Dance Dance Dance is pretty good tho.

Point being, Paul is dead.

This book was so boring I can't believe people view this as his magnum opus.

This book is so boring. I can't believe people think this is his magnum opus.

Wind up bird is his best. Newest one is the worst

WE HEARD YOU

Litteral animal xenofiction tier.

I've only read Kafka and South of the Border. Loved Kafka but it was clearly flawed, couldn't finish South.

It's an okay book. Just a good romance story. Kafka on the shore on the other hand is one of the worst books I have ever read. VERY pseud

I recommended Murakami to my GF since she usually reads chitty YA and chicklit and he seems like a good bridge to actual lit. She enjoyed Norwegian Wood seemingly and she said the protagonist of Kafka on the shore reminded her of me.
I've never read his shit, should I be insulted?

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

What is this nonsense. This is a bad take user and you should feel bad.

Lol

There's two protags in Kafka.

One is a literally retarded old man and one is an edgy and incestuous teenager.

Rock/pop are just the modern folk music, the music of the people. The reason jazz has been elevated from dance music to "serious" music levels is because they had a phase where a good number of the musicians put in the work and developed a rather complex theory to be built off of that was even good enough to get the classical composers to take notice and learn some new tricks. Jazz has been living off its past for quite some time now, it might be a dead end, or some ambitious scene may knuckle down and work on furthering the theory and bring new life to it, time will tell.

Metal is the most likely pop genre to be elevated to serious levels, they know their shit but have yet to form a theory or get together enough that someone else can work it out, they are just too spread out over the musical map theory wise and restricted by their genre. Would be interesting if it happened.

Most pop genres can be boiled down to a few rhythms and progressions, just not enough going on to get the attention of the theorists.

>Metal is the most likely pop genre to be elevated to serious levels
Uh oh

Could not agree more about Kafka on the Shore. It was highly recommended to me by a number of people, and I had heard nothing but high praise for Murakami's work, so I picked it up. It put me off of all his other works to this day. I still cannot get over what completely contrived BS it all is. I was actually rolling my eyes when he started wanking his dick about including references to some famous classical music recording he knew. If he weren't already famous before writing it, it would be ridiculed as something of the same caliber of Handbook for Mortals.

Did we never get to know what happened to Watanabe's roommate, or did I just speedread?

Also, why didn't Naoko just buy lube lmao.

Did the same, read Murakami's entire back catalogue about 10 years ago and currently feeding them to my gf to try to get her into reading. She really like Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman and Norwegian Wood. She's not a native English speaker either so the fact that his narrative style is very basic is good as well.

Probably not (Kafka) the protagonist in KOTS is just his normal blank slate character with some weird Oedipus/Holden Caulfield vibes.

correct

I liked it more than: wind up bird chronicle, kafka on the shore and the colorless life of tsukuru tazaki. It's definitely not his opus, but it's still a really good book IMO

It's a meandering book where nothing really happens (like GR imo) but I enjoyed the ending.

Brainlets.
South is his worst book.
Who the fuck said that Coltrane was the best jazz player? Fuck out of here with your pseudointellectual shit.

>Who the fuck said that Coltrane was the best jazz player?
Me and the other based boys.

>Uh oh
It will be a non-event for most people if it happens. just like jazz was. Metal has gone much the same route that jazz did, it started out rather simple and single minded, often built on just one or two direct influences, but then they started to learn theory and listen to classical music, they apply the ideas they learned and regularly do things that technically do not work in theory but they figure out how to work it. All that is required is for someone to write down a cohesive theory for the theorists to be able to bicker over but is solid enough that they can not tear it apart. The reaction the masses have towards metal is much the same as they had to jazz in the early days, evil and immoral! The parallels are endless.

Country is the only other popular genera whose musicians are consistently well grounded in theory, pedal steel players especially could sit down and keep up with most anyone when it comes to theory. But country has no interest in belonging to anything but country and they restrict themselves to simple song structures for the most part.

Metal is a joke.

So was jazz, nothing but dance music for people lacking in moral fiber, took them 50 years to gain moderate success, better part of a century to get wide spread acceptance. Go to any decent metal show and you will see a ring of hipsters around the edges quietly conversing and discussing, same thing that happened with jazz. Those 20 something hipsters listened and learned about jazz and put those music degrees to use, and they are starting to do the same with metal.

Metal bands are already playing at venues that historically did not tolerate metal and venues that are not even suited for a metal concert. They are gaining that acceptance because musically speaking, many of them are very impressive and their musicianship and composition skills can not be denied. The biggest issue that people have are the vocals, but are they all that different from scat? It is most likely going to happen, expect it to gain more and more acceptance in the next decade and an increase in cross over between metal and classical.

I was about to read this or kafka, are they worth it?

The only book I've read by him is wind-up bird chronicle

Attached: Haruki Murakami.jpg (1606x1102, 182K)

>South is his worst book
That's good to know. My backlog is pretty huge so it'll probably be a while before I get back to Murakami, but any recs on what to follow Kafka with?

>So was jazz, nothing but dance music for people lacking in moral fiber
Lol, Jazz was already a musically interesting genre. While Metal started as louder blues.

And jazz started as a faster blues with some swing.

Metal was a louder rock, which was a louder blues, so it also inherited some of the other influences of the more mature rock scene, including jazz.