"Still, I wonder if we shall ever be put into songs or tales. We're in one, of course; but I mean: put into words...

"Still, I wonder if we shall ever be put into songs or tales. We're in one, of course; but I mean: put into words, you know, told by the fireside, or read out loud of a great big book with red and black letters, years and years afterwards. And people will say: 'Let's hear about Frodo and the Ring' and they'll say 'Oh yes, that's one of my favorite stories."

Tolkien's dialogue goes unmatched.

Attached: Sam&Frodo.jpg (716x423, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GtD0TNAr0LI&list=PLyuQxGSLydvTN_hgLq9eZsVeQuQlWeb2Z
youtube.com/watch?v=9468-QKRoCg
youtube.com/watch?v=odazGzmf_7w
youtube.com/watch?v=uxfoa23skHg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things

Attached: 21F295CA-48AD-4E2D-8643-3996F8055193.gif (300x300, 75K)

and

> if you don’t find a way, no one will

fuck. right in the goddam softest spot

I'm glad you're here, user.

Thank you friend

So juvenile... But so well done.

Yeah he should have written adult literature about people shitting and pissing on each other.

Faggot.

No, it’s real. That’s exactly what someone like Sam would say in real life.

>And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Attached: valinor.jpg (1335x633, 282K)

There is naught that you can do, other than to resist, with hope or without it. But you do not stand alone. You will learn that your trouble is but part of the trouble of all the western world.

youtube.com/watch?v=GtD0TNAr0LI&list=PLyuQxGSLydvTN_hgLq9eZsVeQuQlWeb2Z

>The king was silent. ‘Ents!’ he said at length. ‘Out of the shadows of legend I begin a little to understand the marvel of the trees, I think. I have lived to see strange days. Long we have tended our beasts and our fields, built our houses, wrought our tools, or ridden away to help in the wars of Minas Tirith. And that we called the life of Men, the way of the world. We cared little for what lay beyond the borders of our land. Songs we have that tell of these things, but we are forgetting them, teaching them only to children, as a careless custom. And now the songs have come down among us out of strange places, and walk visible under the Sun.’

>‘You should be glad, Théoden King,’ said Gandalf. ‘For not only the little life of Men is now endangered, but the life also of those things which you have deemed the matter of legend. You are not without allies, even if you know them not.’

>‘Yet also I should be sad,’ said Théoden. ‘For however the fortune of war shall go, may it not so end that much that was fair and wonderful shall pass for ever out of Middle-earth?’

‘>It may,’ said Gandalf. ‘The evil of Sauron cannot be wholly cured, nor made as if it had not been. But to such days we are doomed. Let us now go on with the journey we have begun!’

I reread LOTR recently, and it's only as an adult that I'm struck by how sad the book is. So much that people find memorable about LOTR is, essentially, the last gasp of magic and wonder in Middle-Earth. The Elves and the Ents are passing forever out of the world, as is the glory of Numenor and the grandeur of the Dwarves.

Attached: theoden01.jpg (1200x500, 78K)

Tolkien explored the idea of fleshing out the fourth age but decided against it. I think he made the right decision.

>ywn live in Valinor

It's almost as if two world wars and europe on its spiritual deathbed would motivate a gifted author to imbue his work with profound sentimentality.

That's what I mean. It's the mastery of taking something so meaningful and simplifying it into such a childish way. That's the skill of it, that's the sign of mastery.

No, the "sign of mastery" isn't (in this particular case) in expressing a profound thought with ease, but in the "reality" of the words said. They are neither forced nor artificial, but perfectly appropriate.

If you read it in its Catholic context it's not really doom and gloom, it's all about finding hope in a fallen world.

youtube.com/watch?v=9468-QKRoCg

youtube.com/watch?v=odazGzmf_7w

The conjunction was not need you faggot.

the worst feel

anyway, fuck Feanor and fuck the Noldor

Attached: 1385655478726.png (851x871, 75K)

Everybody always wants to clown on Feanor, but no one ever wants to address that Melkor/Morgoth was a massive piece of shit

Suddenly the king cried toSnowmaneand the horse sprang away. Behind him hisbannerblew in the wind,white horseupon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered theknightsof his house, but he was ever before them.Éomerrode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the firstéoredroared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Théoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even asOromë the Greatin the battle of theValarwhen the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of theSun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from thesea; and the darkness was removed, and the hosts ofMordorwailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City.

Jim'll fix it, that's good

>DUDE friendship is like... really important and stuff...
>DUDE evil is... bad woah
Bravo Tolkien

Feanor did nothing wrong

I don't give a fuck what point he's making it's how eloquently the point is made that interests me. His prose is incredible, that fact is not diminished by the message being simplistic

>when they're walking through Moria and Gimli sings this:
youtube.com/watch?v=uxfoa23skHg
I'm sad that they lost most of melancholy pride of the Dwarfs in the movies. The closest they got was when Gimli learns of Balin, but in truth he cries of Balin's death, not the death of Moria as a whole. He was under no illusion that they succeeded in their expedition.

Lord of the Rings is fucking kino.

Attached: tumblr_nuhqpayikV1ufhe9ko1_1280.jpg (1280x1766, 782K)

I love how unafraid of sentiment Tolkien was (Lewis too). There's something heartening about reading them in these arch and cynical times.

Jews and atheists (spiritual jews) can't stand sincerity

because that's something so obvious it's not worth saying. yeah no shit, Satan is bad

I'm afraid you're mistaken, Feanor did EVERYTHING wrong and FUCKED EVERYTHING

Garbage opinion.

>LE JUICE LE JUICE KEK
Get a grip

he sounds calmer than your frantic greentext

You know what greentext is right?

Yeah, I got the same feeling reading other fantasy works after LOTR as a kid. The melancholy is missing

>I'm afraid you're mistaken, Feanor did EVERYTHING wrong and FUCKED EVERYTHING
t. slavemorality vanyar cuck

>the Robert Inglis audiobooks

Attached: dc-Cover-4sagbls1v65djlugl7rhbabjl6-20160509111559.Medi.jpg (800x448, 23K)

we will get a grip indeed
around your throat as we cast you into the flame

>other fantasy
>implying it's a 'fantasy work'
correct yourself immediately

>If I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject—which should be sufficient.
>I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.
Tolkien in response to a German publisher asking for certification of his Aryan-ness

Wow. Extremely based

>everyone has to be perfect
>if some one becomes a victim to temporary ignorance you have to damn them
Jews and atheists (spiritual jews) can't stand sincerity

What???

Chesterton was retarded about this issue too, it's just a product of their anglo upbringing

Kek

This issue being the Jews?

>Sicut Judaeis (Latin: "As the Jews") was a papal bull setting out the official position of the papacy regarding the treatment of Jews. The first bull by that name was issued in about 1120 by Calixtus II and served as a papal charter of protection to Jews. It was prompted by attacks on Jews by the First Crusade, during which over five thousand Jews were slaughtered in Europe. The bull forbade Christians, on pain of excommunication, from forcing Jews to convert, from harming them, from taking their property, from disturbing the celebration of their festivals, and from interfering with their cemeteries.
>Following further attacks, the bull was reaffirmed by many popes including Alexander III, Celestine III (1191-1198), Innocent III (1199), Honorius III (1216), Gregory IX (1235), Innocent IV (1246), Alexander IV (1255), Urban IV (1262), Gregory X (1272 & 1274), Nicholas III, Martin IV (1281), Honorius IV (1285-1287), Nicholas IV (1288-92), Clement VI (1348), Urban V (1365), Boniface IX (1389), Martin V (1422), and Nicholas V (1447).[1][2]
>The Church’s stated attitude against the mistreatment of Jews goes back to the early Church. Around 400, St Augustine, one of the most influential and foundational figures of Catholic theology, preached that the Jews must be protected for their ability to explain the Old Testament.

Seems to extend beyond Anglos..

Why did Yea Forums tell me Tolkien was all world building and no style? This reads great to me.

I didnt read a word of this post get fucked

Crying bitch?

They lied to you. There is a lot of description in terms of world building but there is also very wholesome dialogue like you'll find here in this thread

>And be careful of what you say, even to your closest friends! The enemy has many spies and many ways of hearing.

this.
Tolkien was preparing us for dystopia.