This is unironically my favorite book

This is unironically my favorite book

Attached: 24SHTEIR-articleLarge.jpg (600x589, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/user/show/EatShitFaggot
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ok, good.

yes yes Yes

I'll take the bait, why is your favorite book the famous one by Joyce? Is it the way he experiments with language, plays with it like a child with toys? Is it the parallel that exists between it and Homer's epic? Does it make you feel smart when you reread it and suddenly it clicks what he was going for, the connection that you never realized? Do you relate to Stephen or (creator forbid) Mr. Bloom?

>(creator forbid) Mr. Bloom?
not OP but while I generally identify with Stephen (Joyce's relation with Catholicism is comparable to my own) I do relate with Bloom's avoidance.

OP here, this isn't bait. I just wanted to start a Ulysses discussion. I just enjoy the journey it takes me and the way characters react in their environment.

Same.

OP, I'm almost done with Portrait and plan to read Ulysses next. Pretty excited, any advice?

Take your time and do not read any guides. I hate to act like a hippie type but go with the flow.

Have you read it OP?

Yes

Cool, that's how I usually read things anyway.

Is the master plan to read of all Joyce's work?

I think my favorite part is when he writes that literary journal-style description of the dog's poetry.

I'm glad someone on this board actually likes something :^)

What is ironically your favorite book?

No, Finnegan's Wake is too much of an undertaking for me right now. Maybe when I'm older and more experienced. And I don't have much interest in his poetry. I might read Dubliners though if I feel like I need more after Ulysses.

Just skim Finnegans Wake. No need to waste your life trying to study it.

Joyce spent 17 years writing it, you should spend at least that long reading it.

I can definitely see that point of view. His views were complex like life.

Yeah but there's no guarantee I'll be alive that long plus I can't imagine studying the same book every day and finding it rewarding. I liked Moby Dick because I experienced great writing. I don't think books make you smarter, so I don't see the point in learning a bunch of languages to fully understand Finnegans Wake

Then I look back and realize I have spent longer than that reading it. I remember a university professor telling me in all seriousness that, because Joyce's eyesight was so bad near the end of writing FW, he used a paint brush on a long pole to write on 10 foot long sheets of paper hung from ladders.

I have no idea (even after having read biographies and such) whether that is even remotely true, so I believe for the sole reason that I want it to be.

It's my top novel, but I have a bit more interest in poetry. Even then, if we look at just sections, "Sirens" is my favorite piece of writing,

It's also one of my favourite books. I took a class in university where we read it and we both loved it. I think one of the reasons we loved it is how interconnected it is, you can just get lost in the book like a maze of theories which both of us (coming from philosophy) loved.

You've read less than 20 books

Nope, but I'll admit that I've only read around 150 books which isn't a lot. But I only started reading seriously around 3 years ago.

How many have you read?

pleb

Ok

Do you have a goodreads account?

Here's mine: goodreads.com/user/show/EatShitFaggot

Wow your list of books is sooo huge. I'd love to see what else is big.