Isn't it crazy that used book stores exist?

Isn't it crazy that used book stores exist?

Attached: EAbRR0zWkAASmk6.jpg (900x1200, 314K)

Why so?

Well it's pretty crazy that it hasn't been corrupted/destroyed so that something similar yet much more expensive can take it's place (Amazon is trying it's damnest though). I suppose even the death march of profit has trouble combating Maximum Comfy.

Can you think of another common used-good store that sells exclusively one type of good?

I remember Amazon approaching book stores and saying "hey we'll give you half the profits if you sell our kindles in your store". The fucking balls. "Sell this thing that kills your business, thanks".

Used book stores sell their content online through marketplaces like Amazon, ebay and abebooks, and most people who buy tons of books probably buy most of them used because it’s cheaper, so the need for used bookstores will never go away or be superseded by anything. Individual used bookstores may go under because of lack of foot traffic, or not enough online sales, but there will always be others because people are always giving books away.

Yeah bro

Gamestop

That's a good point, fair enough.

Gamestop has trinkets and new games. The specialization just isn't there.

Goodwill is like 90% used clothes.

oops meant for

>No used bookstores in any of the 3 cities closest to me
>Only choices are Waterstones or being crammed into a tiny charity shop to browse for books on a single bookcase while unwashed old people and foreigners crowd you

Nothing more comfy that used book store and just browsing slowly, picking up a few if they catch your interest. Owner doesn't mind because he's not in it for profit, but just something to do with his time.

>Kingyo Used Books (Japanese: 金魚屋古書店 Hepburn: Kingyoya Koshoten) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Seimu Yoshizaki. It follows the happenings which revolve around a small used manga store, specializing in old and obscure manga.

Allow?

Attached: cvr9781421533629_9781421533629_hr.jpg (1985x2475, 2.08M)

that sounds awesome, but her face is frightening.

You're aware used book stores operate identically to new book stores right?

Used cars.

Got 8 books the other day at my local store for only $5.50. Feels pretty good. Used book stores always have great sales.

Not in my experience. Most used book stores I go to offer credit and price everything at least at 70% of what the back of the book labels itself as. This creates an environment where one can take off with something like ten books for less than ten dollars if they have good credit. Barnes and Nobles is gonna charge you 20 bucks for Infinite Jest.

i was able to get all 3 volumes of voynich hotel because of a weird manga store in japan that sold old shit like that. i liked it

Pro-tip: Behind the scenes that used book store is pulping anything that doesn't sell, theses stores destroy rare or expensive books all the time by accident because the POS doesn't recognize them.

>not buying books from charity shops
I bought the complete works of Walt Whitman in a salvation army for 90p just last week. you can't expect the selection to be great but the prices definitely are.

this, every time i visit my local used book store, i feel like it simply grabs me and doesn't want to let go. even though it's a very small shop, i could spend hours browsing through the rubbles of books yet to be settled on shelves located on the walls. and since the owner is a very passionate, laidback guy, he always let's me lurk through a secret magazine they've got at the back of the shop. again, not very big, but still, they've got around 40,000 books in there, or at least that's what he claims. extremely comfy, 10/10 experience

Gun store

That said most used book stores also sell music, movies, and video games. Some even sell musical instruments.

used books stores do not pulp books you cretin

charity shops and thrift stores can be good, i found penguin classics of the divine comedy once, went back a while later and found norton critical fathers and sons.

auction houses. coin dealers, stamp shops, anything that is collectable
there are secondhand clothes shops
there are also "dress agencies" that act like brokers for used high-end designer clothes

yes they do. certainly those run by charities do. they can't keep the same stock on the shelves forever if it isn't selling. they have limited space and likely get new donations in all the time. buy a book from a charity secondhand shop and it will probably have a date written in it somewhere which is either the date it was put on the shelf or the date they will dispose of it if it remains unsold.
occasionally if you walk past a charity shop in the evening you will see big sacks of books to be landfilled/recycled.

They do, I work in a charity used book store and can confirm. Usually the ones that get thrown away are complete dogshit, though. Many of them end up going to prisons and the like anyways, so it's not a complete waste.