Books with protagonists who aren't sane?

Books with protagonists who aren't sane?
>American Psycho
>Dostoevski The Double
>L'Etranger
>No Longer Human

Attached: 16187805.jpg (550x448, 165K)

And I guess if we threw in secondaries we could include most Murakami, especially Norwegian Wood and Colorless Tsukuru. Sherlock Holmes, Jekyll and Hyde.

possibly not what you were looking for based on your examples, but Don Quixote

Hamsun - hunger

Frankenstein (Victor is obsessed), The Monk (Ambrosio is an incel), The Phantom of the Opera (Erik is also obsessed), The Castle of Otranto (the king went temporary crazy), I think pretty much every gothic tale has an insane character.

Crime and Punishment

Thanks
>The Phantom of the Opera
Totally forgot about that. A lot of Shakespeare's work can fit in, too, and Poe. Thank you.
A lot of Dostoevsky as well
idk...maybe

Moby-Dick
Hamlet
Macbeth
Fanged Noumena

I mean, if you are looking for good books to read in general, Don Quixote should be on your list(although keep in mind that with both books its about 1,000 pages)
Since dosto has been mentioned a bit in this thread I'll note to you that I actually found some similarities between DQ and dosto in that you sometimes get an authors "aside" with a sort of penetrating psychological insight
But DQ is narrarated, not inside the mind of a mentally ill person, if that is what you are mainly looking for

House of Leaves
Requiem for a Dream

The Dwarf
Sufferings of Prince Sternenhoch

>A lot of Shakespeare's work can fit in
Yeah, Hamlet especially. Was interesting see him feign insanity and gradually become the mask as the story progressed.

The King in Yellow. Especially one story in it (but I won't tell you which. it's quite a twist)

Attached: ztktfuk66jr6jr6r6j6jrxr6r6ex6eu6ue6rjr67xjr6xrx6j6jrx6jrxrx6j6jrxj6rxjrx6jrx6jrx6jxr6jx6xj6r6xrj6jxr (528x800, 89K)

Don't know why nobody posted that yet but
>my diary, desu

I know which one you mean, second this.

Telltale Heart by Poe also.
Demons by Dostoyevsky has practically no character that could be considered sane, but "protagonist" would be a stretch for any one of them.
Another one up for debate, but I would personally class as fitting would be Gogol's Dead Souls.

Thank you guys

The Dwarf by Par Lagerkvists

Steppenwolf

It wasn't Camus' intent in L'Etranger to convey that Meursault was insane, but simply to show the absurdity of the human condition and our short sided moral and theological beliefs that from an absurdist perspective imprison us to be slaves of societal convention. His laissez-faire mentality and epiphany before his execution is literally shown to be the most personally profound and liberating discovery that an individual could hope to achieve (of course reflecting Camus' philosophical beliefs).

To compare his character directly to that of a Patrick Batemen or Yakov is delusional.

Attached: 1567056012823.jpg (480x479, 50K)

>Fanged Noumena
Lol, you're not wrong

my diary desu

On american psycho; I haven't read any criticism nor interviews with the author so it might be something That's been obvious to everyone but me since the '90s; but:
Am I the only one who thinks that 90% of this book, includono basically all the murders, happened only in the guy's head?

Wasp Factory by Iain Banks
The Collector by John Fowles

Maybe? He was batfuck!