How do you write good dialogue?

Attached: boredknight.jpg (840x623, 85K)

Talk to people.

fuck

Literally just think of how people talk in real life, think about how people talk depending on their personality and then relate that back to the characters you're writing dialogue for.

how many dragons has he killed to be so bored at the sight of such a ferocious beast? you'd think their expressions should be swapped. the regal dragon, bored from killing so many men. then the stoic, yet retarded, knight who walks surely into doom. powerful painting, i'd like to hang this on my wall, does anybody know the name of this piece?

You need to git gud that's all.

>Literally just think of how people talk in real life
Shit advice.

What are some authors that were good at dialogue?

>no Plato
>no Shakes

No.

Most irl conversations are bullshit, and if you try copying them the story will be boring.

Here are some things to keep in mind:

How is this advancing the plot?
What is this telling the readers about the character/s?
Does this say anything about the setting?
How does this serve the story? Does it establish a vibe? Does it foreshadow anything?

You get the idea. If you have something in the book it must be interesting and serve the story in some way.

Another thing is to know your characters. This will inform their conversations and reactions to situations. The dialogue will be more natural this way. How you get better at this I would say is to just write more. It comes with experience. Examine and dissect dialogue that you like in books as well. Figure out what exactly is happening there. What is the author trying to do?

I don't worry about realism and imagine dialogue that I find interesting or funny.

if you don't ask these questions during an everyday conversation you're part of the problem

This rule is kind of useless because it is so generic, but as a rule everything your characters say should be substantive. That includes but is not limited to advancing or enhancing the plot, revealing character, reveal the relations between characters, and show some amount of verisimilitude.

Wooden dialogue comes off as artificial and robotic, as if some poor imitation of a person said it rather than a believable one. Good dialogue always hints at something that draws attention to how interesting the story is.

This is misguided advice. People IRL often aren't as articulate as characters in fiction, they have many ums and ahs, conversations are meaningless or directionless etc. Dialogue in fiction is one of the biggest areas where the reader is going to suspend their disbelief because it makes the story flow better rather than having to read every time a character stutters or uses a superfluous word. Even in stream of consciousness books like Joyce or Faulkner characters are still more articulate than the way people talk IRL.

This
But don't underestimate the value of such placeholder words in conversation. When characters are being shown as articulate and either a new character or an existing character starts stammering, the contrast can communicate volumes of either the character or situation.

Gaddis is the undisputed king

The knight spent years preparing to fight the mythical dragon only to be met by that retarded looking obese lizard, he is not bored but thinking about his life choices.

It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.

Read it out loud.
If it's sounds like shit, it's shit.

Study Tarantino.

you guys made me KEK aloud
oh Yea Forums is good on some days ....sigh

Make sure it has a point and is interesting. Then, fuck around with the structure.

why does it need to have a point?