Where do I start with this cute fella?

Where do I start with this cute fella?

Attached: 3B0B9266-85B8-4CF3-9F16-A44171347FCD.jpg (220x270, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/essays/nwwf.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

N

Read Dunsany instead.

Read his Complete Fiction, one short story every day, it's doable.

his cat's diary desu

So basically the Complete Fiction of H. P. Lovecraft?

yeah

My friend recently bought me that, is it actually any good though? I'm not sure I'm intrested.

Cosmic horror is about finding those moments where the unknown crashes up against the known. It can also be intensely psychological and doesn't always have to about “the unnamable” and offers a perspective of beyond that is explained through human egoism, I think it’s a very interesting way of writing and very few write in this concept. Love craft does this but in a very, very abstract and ominous way that nobody has ever read before, and very movies can capture that; except The Thing that’s good cosmic horror because it shows you the monster but not really. Cosmic horror is the best type of horror, it will often ask us to doubt our default psychological experience but with a twist, it doesn’t always be a cliche blob monster but simply something that is scary and unknown something that all people fear.

For example, you are resting on your bed on the 3 floor. You see through a window next to the end and in that incredibly weak reflection you see a plastic, perfectly smooth mannequin skin with perfectly moulded facial structure to imitate yours, because the god in question is kind of "looking through you"

Read his letters.

>“In the end, the New Mexican Spanish-speakers will probably be Anglicized–such being the general trend whenever a foreign region is incorporated into the continuous fabric of an Anglo-Saxon land. It was so in Florida–and has proved so with the French in Louisiana”

Attached: EEXC-m9WkAACub8.jpg (949x1192, 140K)

(Con)
Very few can write this way in an engaging manner while also keep the entity of question transparent and unknown. It’s difficult and ones who do it won't do it well, very few can; so you should find those hidden gems.

Thanks

Dagon and Polaris. Proceed chronologically.

Cringe.

This but replace "cosmic horror" with 'weird fiction'.

The Call of Cthulhu

Attached: pepetoasting.png (1000x1000, 216K)

What’s the difference?

Weird fiction is much more diverse in terms of themes, setting, mood and style, and doesn't necessarily include elements of horror.

hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/essays/nwwf.aspx

Also, cosmic horror is basically a meme.

If you're a big fan of horror, then go through his work chronologically. If you want to start off with a sample of his best work, then start with The Rats in the Walls, The Call of Cthulhu, and The Music of Erich Zann.

As has been stated, the chronology is fairly important for quite a few of his works. He was one of the first artists to 'build their own world', although he interpreted this as his having come from another place and time.
Quite a few of the short stories are just as important as the thicker works. The one's I always think of are The Silver Key and Through the Door of the Silver Key, both of which encapsulate a large portion of his ideology in a fairly compact manner.
As you go through the work, keep an eye out for repeating imagery and symbols, motherfucker had a mega hard-on for that kind of stuff.
And cosmic horror is a giant meme, I'm almost positive if you were to call his work that to his face he would come through the walls of veils to slap you.

>He was one of the first artists to 'build their own world'

Uuh...

Astounding argument, thank you for your input.

he means a fictional work across various stories

Cosmic horror, essentially an invention of lovecraft as we see it today at least, is based on the lovecraft-created philosophy of cosmicism. That is, that there is no higher power or meaning and that humanity itself or the human character is especially insignificant in the towards the entity. So if your story falls more into that line of creeping-dread-horror then I'd consider it cosmic horror. If it does not, I'd consider just fictional horror. Weird fiction is usually composed of horror elements anyways so why not just call it fictional horror. Edgar Allan Poe is often regarded as the pioneering author of weird fiction. He was identified by Lovecraft as the first author of a distinct type of supernatural stories anyways.

That's still not true. What the fuck are you people on?

>Cosmic horror, essentially an invention of lovecraft as we see it today
I'd rather say it was the invention of some of Lovecraft's followers and enthusiasts, such as August Derleth, who came up with the whole Cthulhu Mythos thing.
>That is, that there is no higher power or meaning and that humanity itself or the human character is especially insignificant in the towards the entity
In other terms, a meme. Cosmic horror takes something that Lovecraft normally used as a tool to hint at something else and makes it the defining trait of the story, completely missing the point of it all.
>Weird fiction is usually composed of horror elements anyways
It is not "composed" of horror elements. It can have horror elements, as well as fantastical and science fiction elements, but they are usually outweighed by the overall 'weirdness' of the story. That's what distinguishes weird fiction from other genres.

Call of Cthulhu is the easiest start. But I like his short stories a lot that aren't connected to the mythos as well.

he was one of the first in having an interconnected fantastic universe, emphasis on "one of the"

Dunsany sucks.

*teleports behind you*
You shouldn't have said that.

Attached: lovecraft.jpg (969x1281, 83K)

Dunsany is inferior.

it can be a little boring at the beginning, his short stories build up to a couple novellas and a novel, and because they're all connected, you need to have read most of the short stories first to get all the references. there are some good ones that don't require any other reading to get, I'd suggest reading the colour out of space as it's one of his better ones and it can stand alone.

The Music of Erich Zann is short and based, good intro if you don't want to read one of the longer ones