Mexico's Independence Day

Today is Mexico's Independence Day. Share your favorite Mexican writers, novels, short stories, poems, etc.

Attached: 535353534.jpg (800x800, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QzCCQZFDkJk
pastebin.com/0wPxh1MF
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No lol

ok

Attached: 90909090.jpg (522x522, 71K)

I never read Carlos Fuentes but he seems awesome.

Fuentes' Terra Nostra is an apotheosis for the entire hispanophone world, and a genuine masterpiece.

Sor Juana's verses verge on sublimity. Gutierre de Cetina's ouvre is the epitome of Spanish golden age literature. Vasconcelos and his latin microcosm is admirable. Alfonso Reyes has exemplary prose for any tongue. Fernández de Lizardi penned the height of picaresque texts in Mexico. Rulfo is a precursor to García Márquez and unfortunately eclipsed by the latter's (deserved) popularity, but his Pedro Páramo is a masterwork in terms of narrative and national ethos

And I still concede mexican literature is relatively lacking.

yea it's kinda lacking but when you get into it there are many good works and authors you wouldn't have discovered otherwise through the mainstream

Imagine your entire identity being based off of getting colonized

Mexicans have no literature or art that isn’t cringe and any decent piece of architecture in Mexico was built by Spaniards and the only decent composer was 100% white (Ponce)

Attached: 0830DE4B-94EC-411D-9BE7-D58F19735902.jpg (575x429, 48K)

>Mexicans have no literature or art that isn’t cringe
More like you don't know any Mexican literature or art that isn't cringe.
> and the only decent composer was 100% white (Ponce)
Still Mexican, though.

pls do not lewd my mexican waifu

Attached: valerialuiselli.jpg (1590x1062, 226K)

she left Enrigue, the whore. he's the better writer, anyway.

no

Attached: 263E9782-C07E-4FB9-BE12-B1B089E4C324.jpg (301x595, 27K)

very original comment, you should be an author.

Roberto Bolano is probs my favorite mexican author along with Jorge Luis Borges desu.

hmmmm

Attached: 9c4fff4a-5820-48bc-a4f9-69d82ac66560.jpg (640x360, 39K)

kek you joke, but Bolaño is probably Mexican in the same way Nabokov is American

Obviously Juan Rulfo (?)
Inés Arredondo
Daniel Sada
Juan Vicente Melo
Salvador Elizondo
Mario Bellatin
Sergio Pitol
Valeria Luiselli (kind of)
Julián Herbert

>ctrl +f "Álvaro Enrigue"
>0 results
Are you faggots even trying anymore?

You gotta be shitting me user. There's no way you're so stupid.

Yeah well he's shit.

t. hasn't read Terra Nostra

I like Dante, Calvino and Hugo, Mexican lit rocks!!!!

*Has

*Has

That's a really fucking stupid statement. IF you want to brag about composers, you should check Silvestre Revueltas and Agustín Lara before saying shit about mexican composing. Also, all the folklorical classics are real masterpieces. And the identity of mexicans from colonization was an identity of the XIX century, not from today. Identity comes from actual native material and spiritual culture not from bullshit xenophobe shit like much of America's identity (first the british, then the irish, then the latinos).
If you still think mexican art/literature is shit, just check this artists/writers: Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo, Siqueiros, Remedios Varo, Juan Rulfo, David Toscana, Mariano Azuela, Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz, Manuel Payno, Jaime Sabines, Xavier Villaurrutia and the list goes on.

Attached: David Toscana.jpg (1400x933, 175K)

I thought north mexicans were white?

the region was originally settled by (((marranos))) fleeing the spanish inquisition

Loved this book.

Attached: RH33904.jpg (200x338, 65K)

it's indeed kino

Read it last week, soo awesome

>not rating Juventino Rosas
youtube.com/watch?v=QzCCQZFDkJk

Attached: 43433443.jpg (1024x768, 514K)

I hate Mexicans but this is just dumb. The Spanish did to Mexico what the French did to the Anglos.

>I hate Mexicans
Why do you hate me, user?

Immigration, plain and simple. The Mexicans below the border are fine by me.

Well, that's where I am, in Mexico, I'm not parasiting any foreign land. I'd shoot every central american illegal on our southern border if I could o to help you with your (and now our) problems but muh human rights.

José Emilio Pacheco 4ever

Attached: jose-emilio-pacheco.jpg (1024x778, 230K)

Basado y rojopillado :)

Amparo Dávila is top-tier creepy and weird fiction.

Attached: amparo-davila-060118-2.jpg (1000x933, 84K)

Here's a poem from Nezahualcoyotl, the most famous king of the Aztec city-state of Texcoco and who was an intellectual polymath, both desinging aquaduct and dike systems and writing poetry and being a patron of the arts.

Attached: aztec poetry.png (612x2286, 777K)

also I have a mega of Precolumbian resources, esp. for Mesoamerica here mega.nz/#F!vtQ2EIKK!Z7R8gN5vTsfalKDn18jOmw . I also have an art drive (mostly mesoamerican) here drive.google.com/open?id=15iey5ZMTHflLHbMVGPRsyBLKLcHGCsKb which will eventually get folded into that mega

reddit.com/r/history/comments/9jwhhu/silly_questions_saturday_september_29_2018/e72toxp/ is a post by a dude I coordinate with on Mesoamerican stuff which has additional resources (booklists, suggested artists/channels etc; the askhistorians post list esp. is a good starting place)

also here's a bunch of prior posts of mine

>Daily aztec life desuarchive.org/his/thread/5446429/#5466013 and OP here desuarchive.org/his/thread/5529489/#5529489
>Info on sacrifice fireden.net/v/thread/472484567/#472498581, specifically for the last link there with the 20 post series, see also fireden.net/v/thread/468469029/#468479573 as a disclaimer
>Info on Aztec warfare: archived.moe/k/thread/39206407, an updated version here I never finished here: fireden.net/v/thread/461820979/#461904652 and desuarchive.org/k/thread/42148105/#42180011
>Info on on metallurgy, watercraft, and briefly on politics and administration: desuarchive.org/his/thread/4232340/#4233526, way more info on politics here pastebin.com/h18M28BR
>Info on why the Conquest of Mexico was extremely lucky and how itt easily could have failed desuarchive.org/his/thread/5526254/#5526329 and shorter version: fireden.net/v/thread/441551507/#441565260
>An overall summery of Mesoamerican history: desuarchive.org/his/thread/4176613 Albeit the posts posts 11 to 16 in the main reply chain is made obsolete by desuarchive.org/his/thread/5285820/#5290147; also pic related
>A brief overview of city sizes, hydraulics, sanitation, and botany: desuarchive.org/his/thread/5506706/#5528682 and a longer version I never finished here: desuarchive.org/k/thread/39546199/#39557233
>A debunk of Aztec gods being white/Montezuma thinking Cortes was quetzalcoatl + the spread and variations of mesoamerican feathered serpent gods: desuarchive.org/a/thread/193107477/#193118717 ; though I wasn't able to finish, you can see what would have been my final post here: pastebin.com/0wPxh1MF

Attached: mesoamerican history summary.png (1457x1790, 997K)

Josefina Vicens is an excellent novelist. A few months ago I read her two novels (Los años falsos and El libro vacío) and was amazed by her psychological insight and construction, especially in the former.

Cervantes

Whoa I was just getting all curious about Mesoamerica recently and desperately looking for these kind of intro/thumbnail sketch starting points before jumping into real nigga books about it

Thanks man, gonna look over all this when I get home

Attached: 1440221426564.gif (257x194, 995K)

no problem user, feel free to also email me at [email protected] if you have questions (especially since knowing which books to jump into when the mega has hundreds is sort of duanting), though i'll warn you I'm really bad at replying on a timely basis so if you use a throwaway be sure to check it every few weeks/months or set it up to auto-foward to your real address

ALso i'll say if you do want a good foundation before getting into real academic books on them, reading all the posts in that askhistorians post pastebin in the plebbit link will you give you a pretty solid foundation

and the mega and that booklist also has a lot of the actual books you'll want to reead as well, thoiugh since the booklist isn't organized yet with discriptions you can't really rell whjat's vouched or not vs what he added out of personal interest, but, again, I can do my best to give you specific suggestions as well if you email me

>> and the only decent composer was 100% white (Ponce)
>Still Mexican, though.
Arriba los güeros, cabrones.