People actually enjoy this drivel? Unfucking believable. I've never read a book with such unlikeable characters

People actually enjoy this drivel? Unfucking believable. I've never read a book with such unlikeable characters.

Attached: 220px-TheGreatGatsby_1925jacket.jpg (220x329, 24K)

Nick and Gatsby were likable

Attached: drink up, old sport.jpg (630x472, 31K)

bzzt. wrong.

>I didn't like the characters
Not a valid criticism, books are not trying to be your friend, they are trying to be read!

>I've never read a book with such unlikeable characters.
yep. that's it. that's what determines whether a work of literature is good or bad: do you the reader like the characters. would u have a beer with em? this is also how i decide who to vote for -- why democracy is the best.

>boomerbabby can't to early 20th century literature
>no transgressive acne-faced retard to relate with
womp

That’s one of the main fucking points you autist.

Not verbatim, but nick literally says to Gatsby “they’re a rotten bunch.”

Breaking: he’s talking about the superficiality and moral weakness of 20’s America

>book bad because unlikeable characters
This is an exceedingly midwit opinion.
That being said, Gatsby still sucks ass

Ideas as to why Styx hates this book so much? Even JD Salinger praised it in the character of Holden Caulfied. "Old Gatsby. Old sport. That killed me."

This is actually one of the few high brow novels I like to read.

Dear god, it's a travesty that you had to point this out

I enjoyed it because they were unlikable

You either read it for high school English or finished it for the prose

Read Norwegian Wood. Pay attention to the female characters. All obnoxious and reprehensible.
Read Nausea. Pay attention to the female character Anny. Obnoxious and reprehensible.
Read Life and Times of Michael K. Pay attention to Michael's mother. Obnoxious and reprehensible.
LEARN TO READ.

The prose is simple and eloquent, a truly beautiful book.

f. scott fitzgerald was a john green.

your mom driveled on my dick last night

i doubt that

Gatsby was both likable and unlikable. Nick was kind of a tool, but essentially likable in my opinion because he was sympathetic. The 60s/70s? version of the movie, starring Redford, made Nick even more sympathetic to me because of Sam Waterston's eloquent portrayal.

Attached: d4c1ee7816b22249af98c661060537ae.jpg (554x330, 30K)

Friendly reminder that Nick was gay.

>Great Gatsby
>High Brow
You have to go back

>I HAVE TO LIKE THE CHARACTERS WAAA WAAA
takes this whining back to r*eddit, faggot.

based

>hated this book because my wine-aunt english teacher made us read it as a class
>took a couple of months
>bought a copy at goodwill
>thinking about rereading
does this book become better when you read it on your own? probably wasting my time asking since its such a short read but whatever

to where? high school?

Fitzgerald is an underrated genius, read it.

I know this is bait, but it's important that everyone knows that characters being likable is not a sign of quality.
Yes, the prose is beautiful. Consider reading it aloud to yourself. Strange that it took months though. It can be read in a sitting.

>Strange that it took months though. It can be read in a sitting.
You vastly underestimate the ineptitude of inner-city schools lol. I hated reading for years because of it. Will give it another try after I finish my backlog.

>'I've never read a book'

End of thread, see ya in the next one folks.

he's right you know...