Christianity reading

What should I read after Mere Christianity? Looking for stuff that isn’t too hard or esoteric, trying to work my way up. Pls no Aquinas yet. Thinking about reading Augustine’s Confessions, would that be a good choice?

Attached: AFD2B0CF-FD3F-4579-9AEF-A7E8302739AC.jpg (799x800, 87K)

>Posts generic statue in pursuit of appearing traditional
>Reads CS Lewis
Yeah, I'm thinking you should go read a book on math or something. Christianity definitely isn't going to do your already low IQ any good.

the god delusion

FPBP
SPBP

Based thread

OP, why are you falling for the Christian meme? Are you that impressionable?

On the Soul and the Resurrection - Gregory
Two Hundred Chapters on Theology
On the Unity of Christ
On the Incarnation by Athanasius
On the Holy Spirit by Basil

Just take the Orthodox pill OP.

The Sayings of the Desert Fathers
The Way of a Pilgrim
Vladimir Lossky The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
The Philokalia

That order works fine.

Pieta is absolutely based. Just because your mind had its capacity to absorb symbols numbed doesn't mean the symbol is invalid, just that you're too much out there to understand anything that lies within.

Materialist atheists are absolutely dumb when they think religion will go away with the advancement of science. The transcendental is a constant, and while we may develop technology and further our knowledge of the natural world, the transcendental is and always will be the same, and if all religions came to die today, in less than a century entire new religions would be born - - even amidst an entirely well-educated populace.

Sadly I haven't yet acquainted myself to the traditional and classical texts. I haven't read Mere Christianity either. However, I recommend "Psyche as Sacrament", by John P Dourley. It's a study on religion and Christianity as a natural drive of the human mind. It is based on the psychology of Jung and the theology of Paul Tillich. It's not entirely in agreement with catholicism, and hugely in disagreement with protestantism, but I believe it is a powerful text that is not very hard to understand. However, I believe some user may offer a better insight than I can.

Read the Bible.
Also how was Mere Christianity

>generic statue
It's Michelangelo's Pieta you uncultured swine.

Tolstoi - Father Sergius.

not lit but I've found this on my tv folder.

Attached: catholic-kino.png (1228x2088, 3.49M)

>he fell for the "religion is for the impressionable" meme
lol incredible I thought It got definitelly old in the '30s
You can be a Catholic and read each and every one of those books just fine, plus more. In particular the Sayings and the Philokalia precede the schism.

I'd recomend You "The Cloud of Unknowing" and "The Dark Night of the Soul" and "The Interior Castle" but They're pretty advanced; so I'll recomend You The Imitation of Christ which is extremelly advanced but explained easily. It has several layers of comprehension so start reading it now and You'll be officially done with it in the early 2030s after about 10 Re-readings.
That's What happened to me at least.
Also You might want some easy exegesys textbook. Pic related is excellent If You can find it in english.

Attached: IMG_2347.jpg (180x279, 17K)

The Anti-Christ by Nietzsche

Pascal :Pensees

Attached: e9aa3b4ec125310dc474ae71d03759e0256cf591b9c03bbf955a702e27d70166.png (2560x2739, 2.79M)

Obviously the Bible. After that the catechisms of both the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic church would be in order.
Then probably move on to the church fathers.

Could someone redpill on Gnosticism

>muh wager
>let's lie about my faith
>when the person judging is omniscient

So this is the power of christcuck logic

>Pensees
Reading through it now. It is illuminating to say the least
I'd also add Orthodoxy by Chesterton to your reading list, OP. Helped me to realise that I too, was "looking for England while being in England all this time".

>accepting the wager means doing absolutely nothing to seek genuine faith and just saying “wtf I’m a Christian now” and living life as always
>even if we can attain true faith, God won’t wash away THAT sin of wanting to be saved because, you know, the Bible mentions this often
Why do you criticize something before you read it?

>absolute peak of Christian artwork and sculpture in general
>generic
...yikes

I would recommend this—the best introduction to theology. It will enhance your understanding of Aquinas, Augustine, Anselm and others.

Attached: 51EJCrLM4IL._SX381_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (383x499, 34K)

Reading The Case for Christ now. It's okay but it's definitely not perfect.

No idiot, you missed my point. Pascal's wager focusses exclusively on the rewards of faith, not the content of the faith itself. This is then proposed in front of almighty God, who knows full well what you're doing while you're doing it. Your wager is the textbook example of bad faith. It's also a massive cope for the fact that you don't have any evidence for a god existing (I'm going to ignore for a moment your god, since you don't bother with that either), so instead you resort to slimy used car salesman tactics that can be debunked by anyone with even the most simplistic understanding of theology. Also, why do you keep insisting to read the spurce material? Why can't you simply post from the source material anything that shows me how wrong I am? Instead we get a thinly veiled appeal to authority, like the muslim who says I didn't debunk his quran, because I didn't quote it in the original Arabic

>why can’t you just simply paste a 150+ page work here on 4channel hurr
Read a book sometime

Attached: FA61E970-EF8C-4DC4-B055-5084B1263200.jpg (550x543, 83K)

>Pascal's wager focusses exclusively on the rewards of faith, not the content of the faith itself
What does that even mean? If whatever you’re proposing is supposed to be an attack on the wager from a Christian perspective, then perhaps you should also use Biblical evidence to support it. God loves those who seek Him (Deut. 7:9). The conclusion is to seek Him...even if that journey begins with little to no faith

Again, a thinly veiled appeal of authority. This is like saying I can't debunk Islam because I didn't read the entire Quran in Arabic, the Sirah and every single Hadith. If I made a mistake in my reasoning, show it. Otherwise shut the fuck up, and go back to /pol/ where you probably came from.

You probably won't though, because you can't, because you have no argument. That's why you keep resorting to arguments from authority, which is a fallacy

>waht?!! You’re not supposed to try to acquire faith or seek God!!! God won’t like that!

Deuteronomy 4:29
>But from there you will seek the Lord your God and you will find him, if you search after him with all your heart and with all your soul.
Proverbs 8:17
>I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me.
Jeremiah 29:13
>You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.
Matthew 7:7-8
>Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.
Isaiah 55:6-7
>Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
Lamentations 3:25
>The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him.
James 4:8
>Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
2 Chronicles 7:14
>If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
Matthew 5:6
>Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

Attached: 2BA2C56F-2A74-4CA4-872F-DC6F91DA892A.jpg (785x731, 101K)

I can’t imagine having so little integrity that you criticize a work you haven’t read and demand that others show why you’re wrong. The simple answer is: READ PASCAL. But if you want to continue this discussion, I will expose your ignorance.

>Reading The Case for Christ now
Why would you read that? Historical Jesus isn't determinative for Christology.

Attached: 1534479588915.jpg (2048x1924, 417K)

Right, except that the wager doesn't state that. It states the massive advantages of belief over disbelief. It cares only about the results of faith, which is going to heaven. Going to heaven isn't the main tenet of Christianity, believing that Jesus is the Son of God is. Going to heaven is a consequence of this belief, not the overriding goal of Christianity. Otherwise you're picking rewards over faith, while proclaiming to be a true believer, which is lying

>I will expose your ignorance.

Please do. So far, all you've presented are arguments from authority, and namecalling

Could you enlighten us, please, upon where exactly does Pascal talk about this in the same sense that you do?
Because last time I checked Pascal used it as an example for an argument against atheists.

>/christian/
when the hell is it coming along with the rest of eightchan

Pascal's wager is an argument for faith, not for the existence of God. It's much more comparable to Kierkegaard's leap of faith than, say, Aquinas's five proofs. Pascal does not propose lying to oneself and to God in an attempt to win Heaven, but willfully shutting out all doubts until true faith can be experienced (remember that Pascal was a Jansenist and did not believe that the faithful could fall from grace).
Even this is an oversimplification, but it's much more accurate than what you will get from online memes.

>Going to heaven isn't the main tenet of Christianity, believing that Jesus is the Son of God is
Why do you think people believe? What good does that do?

>Pieta
>generic
the absolute state of this board

Kempis' Imitation of Christ

Confessions is fine, but if you're going to read much of Augustine you'll also want to read Plotinus

You revealed your ignorance in your first post in which you said
>let’s lie about my faith
which is a gross simplification of what a Pascal is proposing. He literally acknowledges the fact that you might not be able to believe right away. And to this he responds by saying that you must seek God: pray, avoid sins, read the Bible, go to church, do good works, etc.