Maybe im misunderstanding him...

Maybe im misunderstanding him, but i dont see how Schmitt's notion that politics is ontologically about us/them is so profound. Havent people realized that ever since the dawn of states, or is this something that has become so ubiquitous that i cant conceive of anything otherwise?

Attached: Carl_Schmitt.jpg (274x363, 12K)

A lot of people is saying it isn't about us or them to trick their personal them. It's not as much profound as it is good to remember.

It isn't groundbreaking, but it does run counter to the universalism and implicit cosmopolitanism of Liberalism. His most influential ideas come from pic related, not Concept of the Political.

Attached: 279246.jpg (309x475, 40K)

>but it does run counter to the universalism and implicit cosmopolitanism of Liberalism
How does it really run counter to that? It can easily be reconciled with those streams if you consider that they really wish for the resolution/aufhebung of politics altogether. Schmitt himself even considered that to be the case, iirc.

Yeah, that's true. I suppose if liberalism's telos completes it will be the end of politics.

Is it worth reading?

Schmitt is never not fascinating assuming you share his interests.

You really have to understand it in the light of his earlier work. He's erecting a very subtle philosophical anthropology based on elegantly few initial premises.

He's arguing that the essence of the "political" dimension of human existence is simply whatever allows for the mobilization and administration of human beings at a fundamental level which cannot be abrogated by arbitrary individual abstention from the "social contract," meaning essentially, the sovereign's ability (whether the sovereign be an assembly, a moot, a monarch, and so on) to mobilize citizens for war against external threats, which also means necessarily the capacity to decide what constitutes an external threat and when such a threat has appeared, meaning, i.e., the sovereign is he who decides in the exception. The concrete historical content of the political in any given context is simply that which manifests politically, at the higher level (of philosophical anthropology) Schmitt is describing. That means that any "spiritual" formation (in the German sense, roughly "cultural-historical") can be or become the basis of the political in a given era. For example the political, once it has manifested, might emerge from what contemporaries consider to be an economic basis, like class warfare and class consciousness. Or it could manifest as a religious or cultural difference, or an ideological difference, or ethnic, etc. The concrete content is effectively irrelevant. What matters is that the political can emerge from any sphere. It can even emerge from "the political" sphere, in the liberal sense of the term politics, so for example in a state with a decrepit but ongoing parliamentary tradition, where "politics" essentially doesn't matter and has become mere bureaucracy, a new and vigorous party or movement capable of founding a genuine political order could emerge from concrete divisions within the decrepit, merely "political" order.

What would happen if that happened? If the motion of civil society were merely brownian and bureaucratic, atomized and "depoliticized," and then suddenly a vigorous new movement appeared capable of mobilizing people (mobilizing them for what?). If they didn't simply sweep the decrepit, formless era away by virtue of imposing their new form on the previous formlessness, it would only be because they were opposed by latent elements of the civil society. Maybe the bureaucrats don't want to be dislodged. Well, now the conflict has taken on genuinely political dimensions. Now it's effectively a war, even if it hasn't been carried out through violence yet, because the political is defined by the capacity to mobilize people in one "way of life" (however defined or perceived by those people, concretely) against a contrary way of life, which is necessarily an existential situation, i.e., an emergency, which necessarily involves delegating to a sovereign body the power to decide politically, which is irrevocable, which thereby constitutes a polity.

To the extent that liberalism seeks the resolution of all conflict, it also seeks the dissolution of the possibility of politics. He talks about this explicitly in the Concept of the Political essay. He says, one could imagine a global society with one "world politics" and nobody in conflict. But that would be, strictly speaking according to Schmitt's philosophical anthropology, no longer political. It would be "managerial," or "administrative," which is an interesting way in which Schmitt's outlook dovetails with the pessimism of Max Weber, the Frankfurt School, and many other thinkers like James Burnham and Paul Piccone (who ran Telos).

The greatest fear of Schmitt and his fascist milieu was the "letzte Mensch," the last man, the utterly managed and administered (Ted K.: "oversocialized") human animal, no longer capable of meaningful life, merely existing. Schmitt was trying to show that the global cosmopolitanism liberalism is not only ugly and not only creates such ugly post-human creatures, but is actually not even a solution to the political, since the political can simply emerge again from whatever differences exist.

The neo-liberal solution to this is to advocate constant difference mediation, constant negation of negativity in the Hegelian sense of the term. This is the philosophical foundation of multiculturalism, and it's why it is strongly opposed to nationalism and ethnocentrism. Schmitt and his friends supported nationalism and ethnocentrism because they wanted political "unities" capable of resisting Nietzsche's "levelling." Multiculturalists by contrast think that a level humanity will be a happy humanity, and instead of being like a sea with great waves (national or ideological wars, e.g.), it will instead be like a kind of constant simmer, constant little micro-differences being produced and melding into one another (so that novelty doesn't die, and humans will never truly become gray little automata). The problem with this view is that if you want to commit to it, you have to commit to leveling: leveling all racial, cultural, national, religious differences away, sanding them down to be no longer capable of "standing against" the "general consensus" (liberal cosmopolitanism), which would in effect be what Schmitt means by the political. Schmitt thinks the cessation of the political that is the liberal utopian vision will create a docile, pointless herd.

It gets more frightening when you combine this critique with the fact that all the prescriptions of well-meaning neo-liberal philosophers like Habermas also dovetail perfectly well with the leveling and deracinating tendencies of late capitalism, which wants an entire planet full of identical consumers and rationalized resources to shuffle around.

you a philosopher?

He uses the term "late capitalism", so no.

good post

>Havent people realized that ever since the dawn of states
People have also forgotten it. Ask a bugman/redditor and he'll start screeching about "identity politics".

well he uses pretty prose and big words so it's more profound then anything you could say

good posts

Attached: 1566422706978.jpg (756x798, 381K)

Nature is us VS them, group competition for resources, power, etc. This is the crux of the jewish problem, which Schmitt most definitely understood.

Why does Schmitt think that 'what politics is' must fall into a dichotomy like ethic's good/bad and aesthetic's beautiful/ugly?

What do I need to read to understand and internalize the scheme behind these posts?

What are Schmitt's best works? Is The Nomos of the Earth good?

I would like to append a room temperature IQ take to this that I nevertheless think people need to be acutely aware of: liberal multiculturalism and diversity always trend toward homogeneity and the subsumption of difference. People rarely seem to notice that the justifications for diversity have little to do with the positive good of diversity, and this is why when pressed the liberal will respond that diversity gives us good food. This is the only positive benefit of diversity that is ever bandied out. Arguments on this topic almost exclusively come from another direction: "Why will diversity and integration work? *Because we are all the same*. Now justify why diversity WON'T work, racist".
Isn't this peculiar? That diversity's justification is apparently derived from a totally opposite premise? Diversity is possible because we are all the same, and we are all good candidates for integration so long as none of our cultural particularisms contradict the demands of neoliberal capitalism.
(Ive never read Schmitt, but I assume that his Political is a kind of capacity to Stand For and subsequently Against, and this capacity is what diversity is trying to destroy in my understanding)

He does a great job boiling it down and illustrating it. His state of exception is also a very useful concept. It explains that it is through crisis that the political takes power, that peace is bad for politics.

We're not the same. The fusion of different things produces new things. Food is very primal so it reaches more people, but music, movies, literature, and such expressions are imbued with the clash of worlds. Nietzsche's "levelling" and wave of democrats is counteracted, the man himself wrote, by the wave of new tyrants. The destruction creates room for novelty, the fusion creates the new out of the old. The destruction of old values unleashes the creative potential of great men, the creators of values. Hence why Nietzsche was for European integration and against the nation-state.

Schmitt in his Concept of the Political essentially asks for the uniformization of the public sphere. The appointed public enemy serves this purpose. This sort of ressentiment is antithetical to Nietzsche's advice. Something everyone can agree on, something everyone can follow behind. His pluralism is beyond the reach of real people, the world will have differences insofar as these will be enforced topdown. Schmitt would be an endorser of slave morality, it could be said. Nietzsche's pluralism is about opening the dams and riding the whirlwind. Differences will emerge because such is nature and some people are bound to rise above others through ambition, talent and creative freedom.

Having read the Geneology of Morals, the Gay Science and the Concept of the Political, I'd put them on opposite ends of ethos, though they largely agree on the social dynamics of authority do their thing. Their reactions are contrary to each other, with one embracing collectivism (Schmitt) and the other revolting against it (Nietzsche).

This, strangely enough, seems a bit leftist in its reading. And I don't think Schmitt said anything about multiculturalism, at least not with the weight that term now carries.
There is also a much heavier legal presence in his thinking which you seem to neglect.

Yeah, I don't remember Schmitt's concept of the political adressing multiculturalism. It does speak about pluralism, that is, the existence, tolerance and even acceptance of factionalism and dissent, which is self-defeating and a weakeness of liberal democracy, Schmitt says.

left liberal ideology envisions a world that is diverse in terms of superficial gender, racial and cultural signifiers, but uniform in terms of ideas, goals and aspirations, it aims at total integration of all humanity into one single bureaucratic system . Liberal 'identity politics' is actually a powerful homogenising force that subordinates all cultural tradition to the systemic imperative of total (de)mobilisation(commercial, electoral, political). ie. For the devout muslim, islam is an absolute truth and there is no god but allah, for the liberal, islam is just another tautologic ''identity'', that exists only insofar as it is recognised by western institutions, and the culture industry, hollowed out of all spiritual meaning and filled with generic multicultural consumerist values. There is no God but the technostructure. I think I now understand Jihadis.

Lol at that last part I have an identical sentiment. I now understand why they call America the Great Satan; what they are fighting against is the same thing that the western right has fought and failed against for the last hundred years: gay capitalism and the formation of a transnational managerial class that sees any interest or value that it can't synthesize into itself as one and the same problem. Whenever I see a Muslim family with a veiled mother and unveiled daughters (they're everywhere at least where I am in the US) I actually feel disgust at what our (is it ours?) country does to people. I, a right-wing fanatic, fear that Islam will be destroyed by Instagram and Hollywood. Never thought I would feel this way even a few years ago

Very good if you like jurisprudence and history of legal praxis

Absolutely not. The nature of man is divisive, highlighted by both Schmitt and Nietzsche. The political is the expression of disjunctive egos and is inhered to the human spirit. Schmitt makes the observation plain and theorises the macrocosm, whereas Nietzsche examines our microcosm disposition. Yours is a superficial take.

should be read chronologically

easy because they're mostly short

Le Prognosticator

Attached: 25AC8021-D2B6-490B-9CC7-E254EB1ED6BE.jpg (1400x2100, 169K)

>and the formation of a transnational managerial class that sees any interest or value that it can't synthesize into itself as one and the same problem

I'm not sure Islam fights against this. They're as materialists as everyone else.