Ok Yea Forums let's see what you got ?

Ok Yea Forums let's see what you got ?

testyourvocab.com/

25,000 words here,and i feel like a retard

Attached: Papa-franku.jpg (640x638, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

testyourvocab.com/result?user=12427075
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

esl

Attached: Screenshot_2019-09-16-14-48-30-564_com.android.chrome.jpg (600x454, 51K)

>34,200
Tried to be honest

Attached: Capture.png (709x890, 55K)

Attached: 1568128956066.jpg (540x680, 61K)

Native speaker, at least its more than that loser Shakespeare

Attached: Screenshot (3).png (666x423, 21K)

t. coombrain

IM GONNA COOOOOM

Should I off myself

Attached: 19D3558A-F81F-4F51-AF06-406DB7962638.jpg (2200x1586, 493K)

t. chad

esl ?

English Second Language, I think.

Only 9000 lol. Im a native speaker as well

Attached: hhhhhh.png (750x516, 19K)

25K ESL. I think I'm ok.

you don´t know what a fucking funambulist is ?

33,400 :-\

English is my fourth language, and the quiz doesn't even have that as an alternative.

Attached: 20190916_145241.jpg (2560x1440, 2.68M)

How was Shaykh Sbir's vocabulary?

Attached: 1567748156051.jpg (400x400, 29K)

a tightrope walker, silly

ESL?

Let me guess , you speak French, Spanish , porteguese and English ?

My native language is exposed by the picture, I'm Norwegian

Pretty okay considering english is my second language and I've been learning another for the past month.
testyourvocab.com/result?user=12427075

The first column is full of words everyone would know. The second one has lots of words I've seen somewhat often alongside slightly rare words. The third one has words I've seen, but can't remember the meaning of or that I never looked up. The fourth one has a few words I've probably seen once.

So Norwegian , Swedish, Danish and English ?

>29,700 words
>Most native English adult speakers who have taken the test fall in the range 20,000–35,000 words.
I'm OK with this, being that English isn't my native tongue.

This is me btw.
I've been learning English ever since I was around 5 years old. Many of the words I checked in are words I've probably seen only once while reading, but that I never looked up.

Attached: _20190916_081836.jpg (945x457, 46K)

No, go read a dozen Victorian novels and a few Shakespeare plays to cure your deficiency.

Jesus, fuck...

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-16 at 15.27.54.png (728x403, 38K)

Norwegian, Spanish, Arabic, and English

Did you only select the words you remember the meaning of?

>most native English speakers have between 20,000 and 35,000 words
This seems high. Not to brag but my vocabulary is exceptionally large. I seriously doubt I am in the lower 50th percentile.

Attached: 08B274E5-CAD8-4AAC-8F11-F648C4023865.jpg (1007x552, 104K)

It says not to check those words, brainlet

Are you ESL?

31,000 faggggooootts

How good is your Arabic and Spanish ?

They probably lie, tick words they don't know

36700 as ESL, but being French native is a cheat since a lot of the rarer words are transparent duplicate of French words.

How is your English vocab so good? Do you just sit there reading dictionaries or something? Genuinely wondering

i should have taken longer to parse put a couple words
still, not terrible imo

Attached: D9264DCC-446F-4C19-8FF8-FB6A7A1B6761.jpg (922x466, 83K)

Non-native speaker, not even in the Latin or Germanic group, never lived for an extended period abroad
Am I in the presence of illiterates?

Attached: Capture.jpg (729x507, 36K)

midwit here!

Attached: firefox_EDVWgrYyJ8.png (707x332, 13K)

>Average Vocab
>Am I illiterate?
Come on now

>And for foreign learners of English, we've found that the most common vocabulary size is from 2,500–9,000 words.
So I guess I speak as well as a native at 23k.

how?

non native

yes but i'm following an IB course and i'm eighteen (sure i am ;p)
yeah pretty much, or rather those that i can contextualise

it says natives know between 20k and 35.

This is an incredibly poorly designed test. Why didn't they just have you tick the words you didn't know/were unsure of?

I guess that’s a decently good score?

Attached: 93930EC4-3D44-418D-81C7-5161AC0AD0B4.png (750x1334, 424K)

that is great how good are your other languages

As I said, my native language is French. About half the most difficult words are just calques from French (see I just used the word "calque" which is a French word but it also works in English). See: regnant, very close to the French "régnant", which literally means "reigning", which is an English synonym for "regnant". In French it's relatively common, in English it's rare and pedantic.

In any "high-minded" conversation, if I don't know the English word for a specific French word I have in mind I just use the Anglicized French word. Works most of the time. Because of that the test is probably skewed for French speaker (if you have shit vocabulary you'll be underrated, if not you'll be very overrated).

I also spent a lot (arguably way too much) time reading newspapers for my English classes since I took tests for entry into prestigious Engineering schools that require applicants to have some proefficiency in English. I must have read one issue of an English-language magazine every week for about 4 years. Before that I had done it once every two week for a couple years. I still have some of my old English presentations, it's amazing how they're filled with Anglo journalist-speak, looks like I was a good parrot.

I also remember being assigned translations of English texts to French (and vice versa), without dictionary or internet acces. One of them was some modernist piece without puncutation (but relatively tame except for that), another had a lenghty description of a chimney and hearth with many specific words for the tools you use for fire-stoking. Our prof was quite fond of translation, her lessons were very interesting. One of the actual entry test was a translation of an excerpt from a Tao Lin novel, which is funny in retrospect. I still remember the time when Tao Lin was Yea Forums's most discussed meme author.

After that I stopped studying English formally but I spent about 5 years on Yea Forums (with a 2 year gap that I'm already regretting) while also reading novels in Engilsh (mostly Joyce, also a bit of Chesterton, and a few short stories collections).

I share your pain, OP.

not a native speaker but I still feel like a retard

Attached: vocab.png (2178x1032, 215K)

eh

Attached: pgoodiguess.png (766x436, 27K)

It is litteraly stupid tier. Webster only has 2 definition for Uxoricide You litteraly can't check it or many other words.
Badly fucking done.

esl

Attached: IMG_2350.png (640x1136, 168K)

>Yes I have read the dictionary, how could you tell?

Attached: firefox_H7lJt62r3Y.png (723x350, 15K)

Enghlish second language

Attached: rEXdTWJFsF.png (735x521, 23K)

I'm a pollack

Attached: Przechwytywanie.png (693x353, 19K)

els though

Attached: Screenshot_2019-.png (461x270, 78K)

27.2k ESL

How the fuck do you ESL know so many words? I feel very stupid at 17,600.

Bitch you got 500 more than me and I'm native. And you didn't even spell English correctly, how did you do that?

A lot of esls here a aree lying , i get between 11k and 20k depending on how lenient i am

>And you didn't even spell English correctly, how did you do that?

There's a reason between spelling incorrectly and typing incorrectly. Mistakes happen.
That said, you want me to tell me why I know your language better than you do? How am I supposed to know. If you're implying I cheated, I took the test two times, the second time I double-checked the answers with an online dictionary. I got three thousand words left, but what you see in the screenshot is my second try. That said, it seems way too high for me as well but I did learn English in middle school. I also got a pretty high Ielts score when I took it

*difference, not reason sorry

i imagine that if you click the esl option it bumps your score up, someone should test this.

I tried because my score seemed too high, mine stayed the same but someone else should try too

he's like nabokov

based

English is my second language. Okayissh imo

Attached: Capture.png (924x642, 48K)

yeah i tried too and i guess our esls are just geniuses or something.

Honestly, I don't think it's that accurate.
It's not accurate in general because it doesn't really measure the amount of words you know, but the amount of words you believe you know.

Also, as I mentioned, I retook the test after double checking with a dictionary: the first time I got around 35000 but I checked way less words the second time and only got around 3000 less?
In addition I think it values some world more than it should: I got less boxes ticked than, say, but I got more in the "last row"

No it’s my native language

I wasn't implying you cheated, or that you didn't know how to spell English, I was using your typo to humorously point out my own retardation.

Oh lol dw, as you see having a big vocabulary will not be the difference between being retarded and not ahaha

Ooga booga

Attached: Screenshot_20190502-133514.png (720x1280, 261K)

> but I got more in the "last row"
How do you know so many words form the final row , i can't recognize any of them

Not many, just more than that guy. I think it that case being bilingual helps: like, I knew what "cenacle" mean because in Italy "The Last Supper" by Da Vinci is also called "Il cenacolo"

27k esl. Kill me I thought I was better.

what's the point of using words other people don't know?

That said, I've noticed from reading that I understand certain words better if I actually see how they fit in a sentence.

also got 12400
fml

>23,400
meh

21k ESL but I grew up in the US

>32,500

Pretty shit, but what can you do. The fuck is a melange? Are we sure they didn't sneak some french in there to fuck us over?

I would guess I am slightly above average and I hit about 20,000. Age is probably a huge factor. I may be less than average overall simply because of that, but compared against most people at my uni I'm above average.

>the fuck is a melange
did you even read Dune you pleb
t. got a score of 44,000

Guys...

Attached: vocabsize.png (468x262, 12K)

if you're not ESL or 5 years old you need to get a tard handler before you get hurt

Never mind. Tried it again and everything's looking good!

Attached: vocabsize2.png (474x252, 12K)

>36,600

The secret is to lie.

>http

welp gg

>33,000
>tfw I have seen most of the others before but never thought to look up their definition

I’m a published writer, full time copywriter, and speak Latin.

I did not know a lot of that shit.

18.7k esl

ESL

20k ESL

Attached: download.gif (637x358, 847K)

>learnt english in school since 1st grade
>spend all day on the internet, which is in english
Also I switched my internal momologue from my native language to english in 7th grade. Don't remember why.

just read nigga

13,000 ESL
feels bad

autism probably