Did they pick correctly?

Did they pick correctly?

Attached: 1533934431223.jpg (1536x2048, 567K)

It seems more like books that didn't live up to the hype

why does this pic trigger Yea Forums so much?

Only Faulkner makes me wonder.

For some reason i thought Dan Brown's Inferno was Dante's Inferno and i got worried.

Attached: Gropey.webm (480x480, 2.92M)

Besides Faulkner and Joyce it's not too bad

Pretty good. Can't understand Faulkner hate though.

Capitalism's homogenising effect is so strong that even when people attempt to give a list of products they HATE, they still produce a list basically identical to some other randomised skim of books people LOVE, because fundamentally the people selected for polling will (a) have all read the same things, (b) have no standards, and (c) will base their decision on "This popular thing that people like, well I DIDN'T like it! It just wasn't for me!" which is a fundamentally massified and consumerized relationship to culture

But if you're passably intelligent and your brain actually works and you've even somehow escaped the anal torture of modern Youtube culture and read more books than you were forced to in high school and by some hipster faggot on Yea Forums, that is if you somehow magically have actual taste in this culture, you will walk by this stand and incorrectly project real opinions produced by real minds onto the people who were polled for what to include in the stand. You will assume "I bet some people fucking HATED Infinite Jest," or "I bet people HATE Ayn Rand," or "I bet people with taste like myself were revolted by Dan Brown!" or "I bet people hated this shallow flash in the pan filth book that was only popular with housewives!" but that's only because you don't realize: The people who hated Infinite Jest know "of" it, and don't know it in any intimate way. Most didn't even read it, but wanted to feel involved in and participate in the activity of being the kind of guy who totally hates Infinite Jest, which is an archetype just stable enough to be visible to the bestial status-seeking algorithms that litter a prole's heads-up display as he navigates a confusing world full of sugared turds to eat that are literally indigestible and seem hypersaccharine in East Asian cultures fortunate enough to not have been raised on corn syrup. The people who hated Ayn Rand know that Hating Ayn Rand is an activity that you perform when you want your Facebook "Things I Like" biography to be more complete so people can know you're the kind of person who hates Ayn Rand, that libertarian LOL her PROSE is so bad and she's SOCIOPATHIC! The people who hate Dan Brown know that DAN BROWN IS FOR PLEBS and I don't want to be a pleb. I only read sophisticated things, such as, Books I Read in High School. The people who hated the housewives books are housewives who exclusively read books exactly like that when Oprah tells them to read those books, and then once in a while they "You know what? I didn't like this book, y'all! #fierce" as a playful Maussian social game in their potlatch circle with their disgusting cunt friends.

If you are a real person, you pass by that book stand and you think you're surrounded by real people and the books were selected by real people for you to look at. But there would be more humanity in the selection if it had been done by chimps. At least chimps have organic social relations.

Undergrad pseuds who read infinite jest. There is a reason this is in a university library. DFW is part of the curriculum for most english and writing degrees because.

Imagine typing all this shit out. Didn't read.

Attached: smug babushka.jpg (423x453, 19K)

>hating A Confederacy of Dunces
I thought that was literally impossible. I've recommended the book to a lot of people, some of which actively despised reading, and they all loved it, no exception.

The second most popular review for the book on goodreads. The front webpage for the book is full of one and two star reviews

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 8.56.49 AM.png (1394x936, 257K)

Was waiting for this, not disappointed

Why's that? Never read Confederacy btw.

half of tham is "books we hate cource cant undarstant with small brain" lmao

Attached: 1556747109065.gif (233x533, 22K)

“Never before seen in the human condition”.

I liked it and to be honest I don't understand what he's talking about.

Based
The only reason this and Vonnegut get shilled is because amerifats need their covert YA

Imagine blaming everything even vaguely disconcerting on Capitalism.

cheeky

>outing yourself as a pseud
You're taking freshman philosophy aren't you
>you didn't read it
Holy shit it's like clockwork

It's pasta you faggot
This thread only exists with that image because somebody wanted to post the pasta

Well, that just made me feel better. I thought I was addicted to this place, but I've never seen that one.
and you're the faggot for ruining the fun

I'd put the Queeran in there.

Thoughts on Koch?

Trash for normie bejaarden. Read Van Warmerdam instead

Put an 'arry Potter on the shelf and see what happens.

The cringe comes from how much effort this brainlet put into his post. Also his sporadic use of ALL CAPS.

All belong there, yup.

like what? besides Ulysses

All those books belong there.
>imagine unironically liking Ayn Rand
Let me recommend you a book: Dianetics.

No, Ulysses is only on there because it’s the gabler edition

People tend to have different tastes in humor. Also, I'm not sure the book is popular with people in his "age bracket", perhaps The Very Hungry Caterpillar would be more his age bracket's speed

Sometimes I think that reading no books at all is better than reading very few books.

Why'd a sensible bookstore have a shelf like this?
Showing off wares as "shit" doesn't help much selling them now, does it.

The fountainhead's shelf placement was the most deserving

Attached: SloughOfCapital.jpg (1200x675, 259K)

it would be cool to see what books "we loved" in contrast

>gatsby
so this is what being triggered feels like.

>omg the movie was beddur hurrxdDD

>Imagine typing all this shit out. Didn't read.
I have the same reaction whenever I see a copy of Atlas Shrugged.

It's copypasta, newfags.

I stopped reading it after ignatius masturbated to the thought of his old family dog

imagine defending capitalism, ok bootlicker

Ayn Rand is there, it's absolutely correct.

Jesus Christ, this can't be real.

It's almost as if identity is also shaped by the things you aren't as much as the things you are

Capitalism is just the society we live in. Are you just going to pretend everything is perfect under this society?

We can't admit that it's true

Needs the Bell Jar.

Great Expectations is really the only presence that annoys me. Even the pieces I like, such as
the Faulkner or Wallace, have arguments against them. Yet I just know with my heart that whoever put that Dickens there was probably some petulant kid out of high school who constantly complained that Dickens was "paid by the word".

Imagine replacing them all with African American literature.

PREACH

I was thinking the same. Great expectations is not only well written it is a joy to read.

Still good, though this was better the first time it was posted.