Any good Finnish literature?

Any good Finnish literature?

Attached: 1...jpg (612x373, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

scribd.com/read/384799838/Emily-s-Burbank-Story-The-Stepfather-from-Finland-and-the-Boy-from-Nowhere-Burbank-Story-1
youtu.be/YZhf-AcnIyw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no, their all fuckin weird and retarded.
Sage

Under the North Star, The Unknown Soldier and The Seven Brothers would be some essential reading. Not sure if they're any good though, since I'm absurdly bad at comparing things like that.

Linkola

Kalevala

I liked Waltari's The Egyptian and The Dark Angel.

Yes.
Shut up stupid Ge*manoid

>Finnish literature
lmao

"At the Last Moment" by H.R. Halli was alright. Not sure if it has ever been translated, though.

Attached: fvcv.jpg (525x750, 100K)

Nah, even Iceland destroys Binland's lit.

Sillanpää is comfy as fuck

Unknown Solider by Vainno Linna

Lord of the rings

Alastalon Salissa / In the Hall of Alastalo

Learn the language and find out :)

None of the good shit is translated.
i.e O by Miki Liukkonen

Go get some fast food, Miki. You're starving.

Kalevala > LOTR
imotbh
t.NA fag

well I don't know if it's good (I think it is, but my opinions are generally unpopular)..... scribd.com/read/384799838/Emily-s-Burbank-Story-The-Stepfather-from-Finland-and-the-Boy-from-Nowhere-Burbank-Story-1
There's a sequel too. I read it for free with my subscription.

the Kalevala is slightly better than Beowulf

Checked. OP needs to read the Kalevala to meet Lemminkäinen, the most based man in all of literature. Also the original incel Väinämöinen.

youtu.be/YZhf-AcnIyw

the one where Swedish aristocrats pretending to be Finnish finance Finnish museums in Burbank (thanks burbankstorylady)

Alastalon salissa

The Fishmonger from Turku

Attached: tumblr_miebpa3Yvp1qec7fqo1_540.jpg (540x540, 93K)

No exception

Attached: tumblr_miegi2418q1qec7fqo1_540.jpg (540x540, 69K)

Why did the Estonians think they could get away with claiming the Kalevala as their own national epic? Their "culture" revolves around plagiarizing Finnish works, it seems.

Yli-Juonikas is by far the best contemporary. Two insane, unreadable epics (Neuromaani and Jatkosota-Extra), two excellent short story collections (Yö on pimein, Uudet Uhkakuvat), two excellent high art novellas (Valvoja, Vanhan Merimiehen Tarina) and two meh curiosities (Uneksija, Kyyhkysinetti).

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
based

Attached: jatkosota-extra.jpg (1422x1200, 365K)

These three are a basic required reading list of Finnish literature. That said, Linna is a very good prosaist, but apparently that is the exact reason he impossible to translate well. His Finnish is rich and full of nuance, but having skimmed through the new English translation of Unknown Soldier (called Unknown Soldiers) it seems to have lost just about all of its charm even if the details are preserved. That said, its infinitely preferable, as the old English translation is legendarily bad, not so much because of the translation itself, but because some unnamed editor thought it a good idea to rewrite entire scenes to make them more "badass", his favourite character living etc. The old German translations are also legendarily bad, the West German one having had an editor who tried to localize it heavily without understanding anything at all about Finnish culture whereas the East German one is generally better, but censored both for ideological purity and public morals. There is a new German translation that is apparently alright, although almost all translations of Unknown Soldier are thought to be subpar. Only the Swedish one gets any praise and the Norwegian one is apparently thought to be okay.

While I'm not familiar with the translations of Under the North Star or Aleksis Kivi, I suspect they have similar issues. That said, many think Kivi was a better playwright than novelist and that the Heath Cobblers is his best work. F.E. Sillanpää's tragedy was winning the Nobel. Now he's the Nobel guy and people get disappointed reading him, but were they to approach him with no expectations he might be regarded as a hidden gem instead. Based on the comments I've read he seems to have been hard hit by the bland translation issue also.

I think Mika Waltari's historical novels could strike a chord with the average Yea Forums user even if I dislike them myself. Sinuhe the Egyptian is the go-to work, but the English translation is abridged and apparently many others are based on that one. Connoisseurs think The Dark Angel is better anyway.

For people interested in the Kalevala, there are also selections of its sister volume Kanteletar and Eino Leino's Whitsongs translated by Keith Bosley who is also responsible for the standard Kalevala translation. Kanteletar contains the best of those poems that Lönnrot couldn't figure how or didn't want to add to the Kalevala. Eino Leino was the only Finnish poet to actually develop the Kalevala metre and Whitsongs is inspired by Kalevala and Kanteletar so even people afraid of the translated poetry meme should like the contents if they liked the Kalevala. There's also a volume called Finnish Folk Poetry; Epic which contains translated examples of the raw material of Finnish folk poetry that inspired the aforementioned works.

Attached: f50.jpg (1920x1255, 251K)

Arto Paasilinna

EMERGENCY
I want and have to learn Finnish. My girlfriend is living in Finland and I plan to move to her (probably by early next year) for at least one year to work and study the language. I'd prefer to go out already knowing some Finnish. Also I intend to study law in Finland (either completely there or just by Erasmus for a year) but the point is I need to learn Finnish for both, on a high level.
Which books do you recommend to learn Finnish? My gf recommended suomen mestari. Kiitos boys

You are not welcome here. Whito piggu go home

We're full, stay away and take your slut with you.

Arto Salminen.

Attached: salminen2.jpg (150x226, 12K)