You need to learn another language so you can read the original version

>you need to learn another language so you can read the original version

Attached: images (22).png (497x617, 15K)

I love this book

Why would you disagree with this you fucking brainlet?

>you need to transmigrate into the authors consciousness to gain the correct interpretation

Try read Heracleitus translations. Fucking worthless

Even leanring a new langauge to read a foreign work in the original is inferior because your mind will have been corrupted by concepts from your native tongue. The only way to truly appreciate a work is to have grown up with that language.

This is the most retarded thing I’ve read today

So you're telling me that someone that has learned ancient Greek to read Homer in the original can have an experience of it that is just as authentic as an ancient Greek did? You're a dumb cunt.

>HURRR LEARNING A FOREIGN LANGUAGE IS BAAASEDYY
The American anti-intellectual mindset at work.

You don’t actually think I’m stupid, what you truely hold is anger toward me because you’re fixated on believing what you said is actually true to a certain degree, what’s your evidence to justify your claim, make it quick, make it intelligent, and I shall release you

sad post, Yea Forums is truly dead :/

I don't think you're stupid-as-such, just reflexively so through ignorance. Native tongue is learned through direct (unconscious) association of sign with referent. Foreign tongues are learned through association of sign with sign i.e. association of foreign sign with foreign referent mediated by native sign. The foreign referent in this case is therefore a composite foregin/native referent. Information is lost (and gained) in this process. See Wierzbicka's semantic primes.

Thanks user, I’ll pick up a copy, I get intellectual information gathered behind this theory and it therefore holds as such, but who is to say an english native who mastered Russian , enjoys Dostoyevsky in Russian such as a Russian would Dostoyevsky, wouldn’t a true poll would have to take place to gather information or has it already been proven scientifically, if so send article and what other book would you read by Anna after semantics?

Less proven scientifically, more in a state of being proven linguistically. For example, the English word "understanding" is often translated as "verstehen" in German i.e. both words are thought to refer to the same concept. Etymological analysis however reveals that the words are composed of *different* semantic primes, the meanings of which are grasped intuitively in their respected native tongues. As for particular titles by Anna go with "Words and Meanings"

Taking this one step further, there is a question to be had on what appreciating a work entails.

If as in understanding the subtleties of the style, then being native helps immensely, but a well educated foreigner could understand it better than an uneducated native.

The experience of an ancient Greek hearing Homer sung vs. us reading it, even in the original greek, is very different—but is either one worse?

For example, the perspective of two millennia of western literature affords us a perspective on the influence of the Homeric epics, which is undeniably interesting.

>but is either one worse?
This is a pertinent question. I'd still argue that the translated experience is less authentic, but it's not inferior in all respects. This is why I mentioned in a previous comment that information is both lost and gained in the translation process. And this isn't even considering interpretation within that language.

don't they say that shit in anime? i've never even heard a normie say this

Attached: 09. R.O.D The TV (Read or Die) [DVD 480p Hi10P 5.1 AC3 AAC][dual-audio][kuchikirukia] [A92D19F1].mkv (712x478, 50K)

You should, specially if they don't translate many books to your native language. I wish I knew French.

Monolingual murishart cope

cause normies and brainlets are the ones who read translations lmao

Are you multilingual?

Authentic in what way?

Authenticity as being near the author's intent brings up the entire discussion of the author's importance—death of the author &c.

And authencity as being near the original audience's experience becomes problematic when considering works now considered masterpieces who were not recognized by its contemporaries.