I have been working on a long poem for the past year (10000 words and 63 pages so far)

I have been working on a long poem for the past year (10000 words and 63 pages so far).
Is Yea Forums working on anything similar these days?
Does Yea Forums think that long form/epic poetry is relevant these days?

Attached: 7wiwnombww531.jpg (640x762, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reptilepark.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/spiders_mexican_red_kneed_tarantula.jpg
editage.com/book-editing-services/articles/top-10-self-publishing-companies-a-2018-guide-for-first-time-authors.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'd love to hear a new epic poem.
Keep it up pal

Don't worry about short term relevancy.

Thanks a lot! Working hard on it... it has some similarities to Patterson in that it considers the city as a living breathing entity, but it diverts heavily from there.
Its primary focus is on the idea of memory and memory being something of a dream state that is "more real than reality". Not about memory and what has past per se, but the essence of what has past.

And yeah... I am trying not to. Just figuring out how to get this published is gonna be a real bear.

>epic poetry
>from ἐπιkός, which literally means "wordy"
>from ποητής, meaning maker
>actually just means "wordy maker"
totally epic bro
keep up with the wordiness

Gonna try to be majorly wordy here dood

Keep it up, user, I'll check it out when you publish it.
I'm still working on my books. Hoping to have my first one out sometime in the next few years. I'm going through my fourth rewrite currently.

Attached: 1568354562128.png (589x458, 46K)

What are you doing to have it published? I am big on the whole writing part... but the politics of getting something published I am not really up on. Is there shame in self publishing?

Keep up the good work. People forget how important it is to invest energy in some creative fashion. Don’t let up.

Attached: CB3693BA-B5EF-441A-ADCB-BEED4943BE87.jpg (700x525, 95K)

I've talked with a few people but I'm waiting more till I'm closer to my final product.
There's nothing wrong with self-publishing but there are a lot more small groups that will publish your work with less bullshittery.
Just remember to read your contract before you sign or hire a lawyer to help you with it.

I’m working on the premise of a book right now. I plan for it to get published but by no means will I rely on it doing so. If something comes to mind (a conversation, a theme of an event, a lesson or moral) while I’m reading or watching something then typically I will jot it down and will incorporate it into the story. I plan for the story to be quite long. I have pretty high hopes for it. It will be years in the making and even more before it’s done but here’s hoping.

Attached: D633957B-4862-4D55-99F3-75B3648671D7.jpg (720x960, 123K)

Gentle reminder to give your story a rewrite once or twice.
it's a pain in the ass to do but you'll find yourself thinking of sections that need more fleshing out or sections that can be cut out.
It helps a lot.

Attached: 1564594888348.jpg (512x512, 39K)

I figured that would be the case. Thanks for the tip though. Good luck on your work.

Attached: 7FC01655-57B3-40FA-B727-068330329C66.jpg (712x991, 66K)

Don't plan to. Even if it is a fools errand and I take it to the grave with me, I am proud it is something I have created.

What sort of small groups are you thinking of? Just so I have a starting place

yes actually, mine won't be near so long though. I'm around 2000 words, end result will likely be around 5-6000. iambic pentameter
I don't think it's relevant at all but it feels worth writing

I am really happy with how positive this thread turned out. God speed to all of you.

Good luck to you too, user. Your first draft is never going to be the perfect thing, if you hit a point where your'e thinking "hmm I'm not at the end but I don't know where to go" it might be a good place to try approaching it from a different angle.
>What do the character(s) want?
>What's the current state of the world?
>What is the antagonistic force up to?
>etc
This isn't the best one, I'd suggest doing some research of your own but
reptilepark.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/spiders_mexican_red_kneed_tarantula.jpg

...Sorry that was the wrong link
editage.com/book-editing-services/articles/top-10-self-publishing-companies-a-2018-guide-for-first-time-authors.html
Being positive is better than negative.

Attached: 1564728349702.jpg (456x628, 606K)

If it feels worth writing, then it is relevant. Godspeed to you. Can you tell me about it?
Thanks so much for the link. Gonna do my best with them. Hopefully they publish long form poetry. And I agree 100 percent. The positivity here is great

>tfw put 500 words into a new story
its a pretty big story, pretty excited about it
>victorian telling of ganymede myth

Keep at it, user. Set yourself a minimum to do a day, yeah? Even if it's small if you can knock out a few paragraphs a day you'll do good.

it's about a prehistoric young man from a death cult who escapes into the woods and has to confront his hatred of the world; killing to live, seeing death face to face, real necessity -- while experiencing the beauty of the wilderness and stillness, and gaining an intuitive understanding of the Good

Sounds good. I recommend some Emerson and Thoreau if you want to get the wording and sensation of the woods and it’s beauty. That and going on some hikes.

Attached: A36F2063-8219-4AFA-8836-609A005EDF2E.jpg (683x1024, 115K)

thots?

Attached: bug.png (339x320, 15K)

Fantastic!! Keep it up.

thanks vro

I've been ruminating on writing an epic poem based on the mythology of a fictional culture, starting from the creation of the world, but primarily focusing on a single ancestry of six siblings who are credited as being instrumental in how the culture was shaped and how it evolved over time, including their involvement along with their descendants in a series of three major wars.

That would essentially be part 1 as a general backstory. Then there would be another 4 parts to describe the individual struggles and adventures of one or two main characters per part.

I think the only way I'd be able to pull this off is by writing it in free verse, and if I ever wrote and completed it, it would be an extremely long poem, probably over 100K words at least.

OP here, ideally I want my poem to be about that long. The different books and cantos have different varying rhymes and meters. Some of it is free verse, some is iambic pentameter. Lots of variation. I think its ok to mix things up this way

sounds dope man. Will be extremely hard to get published but who even cares

Thanks dood! Gonna really do my best. You working on anything?

>words' meanings essentially stay the same forever
I'm going to shove my *péses- down your stupid throat m8

Ok, I get that OP wants positivity and encouragement itt, but this has too many flaws. The language is less understandable than Shakespeare, it revels in obscure words and strange syntax - aka artifice - while ironically talking about the direct and universal beauty of nature. On a very fundamental level this is a failure, you want to the reader to connect with nature but instead the only thing he has is your language.
Stop piling up so many metaphors and images in literally every line. See Shakespeare, how he focuses on one theme throughout a monologue, or how Melville picks a detail and dedicates a paragraph or two to it, how both slowly and logically develop the theme's rich meanings, connecting various strands and concepts, never wasting a line or sentence on something that doesn't tie in with the whole, giving you space to breathe and to realise the beauty in its totality (style+meaning) rather than smacking you in the face with disjointed pretty words. You're trying to narrate (go forward) and to be lyrical (static, reflective) at the same time, and that doesn't work, the narration is constantly throwing undeveloped and empty lyrical images at the reader.
Several sentences are only a single line long, which is a consequence of our modern informative and compact style of writing, but is annoyingly out of place in a classicist work such as this one. They sound curt and mechanic in an otherwise "flowing" text, which I doubt was your goal. The third line is especially jarring. (Maybe you wanted a nice "reveal" of the image/metaphor you had in mind, but it's too abrupt to be digested properly and doesn't really lead anywhere else as far as the passage goes. I.e. there's no reason for why he had to be compared to water, except the general theme of connection with nature which is already obvious enough to me.)
Some acoustic effects are very noticeable - lapping laughter, and the repetition of -ing verbs, sometimes resembling some sort of pseudo-rhyming. The first case looks so forced it's indigestible, like you just couldn't wait to do it to be as poetic as possible, it's amateurish. The other thing, participle verbs, disrupts the rhythm (especially when such verbs appear within the lines - only on the ends, relatively sparse and evenly distributed they wouldn't stick out as badly, but like this they're much closer together), makes the flow disjointed, hiccupy, annoying. At least to my feeling.

pt 2
Second to last line - "imperative" in English originally meant the verb mood, not "necessity". It feels out of place in this sense, too modern and technical. We have biological imperatives, but that's not something a classic poet would write about, or anything resembling the instinctive life in nature that doesn't need Latin names for things.
Last line - the thought about raw simple survival is expressed in an elliptic, needlessly artificial style. I'd turn it into "Water, or death" at the very least, but it'd be even better if it was expanded a bit over a whole line (doesn't have to be direct speech either).
Also, why would somebody suppress the thought that they're going to dehydrate and fucking die?
These are just my thoughts, obviously, I'm not even a published poet... Keep working on this stuff, best of luck to you.

Holy shit lmfao was no expecting this much critique. First of all thank you for sparing no word in leveling my poem, I’m gonna need to do a lot of reading to get it to a better place. I’m just gonna copy everything you said in notepad and keep it to consult as I continue writing. This is the first long form poem I ever wrote and most of it is like this section, i.e. lots of pseudo rhymes, one line sentences and monologues. There are parts that are better than this stanza and parts that are much worse. Anyways, I’ve been reading a lot of Keats and Cormac McCarthy and that’s really what has lent the work it’s idiosyncrasy. Gonna try to get the rhythm down better. Yeah anyways thanks for that bro

You definitely can't write this sort of thing expecting to find many readers, and it could be hard to find any readers.
You need other reasons.

Also I’d argue you’re being a bit over dramatic about metaphor and ‘pretty’ words. There really isn’t much metaphor here, at least in the sense of double meanings or whatever, and I’m not using any vocab someone with a reading level over fifth grade couldn’t understand. Again, I appreciate the critique but the vocab is the least of my worries, I think you’re more spot on with rhythm critique

Nothing like that no, I rarely write poems longer than a few pages, and mostly I write 8 or 16 line poems. It's only a hobby for me anyway, I just write a couple poems a day for fun, I never go back and edit them or anything.

But i've always thought it would be very interesting to adapt really long form poems to a modern context, so I'm glad there are people trying it out. It's a colossal amount of work though.

Sounds very intriguing; congratulations!

Also I'm just writing some weird-pulp short stories for an antology; I hope I'll managed to get them published.

So Big O?