Hey. /fa/ here

hey. /fa/ here
i've decided that i'm going to adopt the dark academic look. i haven't read a book in almost a decade and reading is pretty gay but I want my mind to fit the look i'm going for too.

what books do I read for dark academia? also if I wanted to become a history buff, what's an interesting society/people I could become obsessed with? (european and east asian only, though)

Attached: 1568327218016.jpg (750x747, 166K)

Reading for aesthetics is laughable. However, if you want to impress random teenage girls through books, go read Burgess and Mary Shelley. If you want to impress "scholars", no reading short of a decade will. Also, the aesthetic you're going for is just glorified e-boy.

For your aesthetic, read Donna Tartt's 'The Secret History.'

For your history, start with the Greeks.

Keep a copy of Infinite Jest on your desk. Anytime someone asks about it, get deuchy and mysterious and pretend it taught you everything you ever know. Replace with whatever flavor of the month comes next, will probably happen at the beginning of the next academic semester in the us.
Read Shelley and Ellis, emulate everything, and absolutely under no circumstances are you to have an air of self-awareness, that'll ruin the whole thing.
Pick up copies of Stephen King's It and The Shining. Never read them, but keep bookmarks stuck somewhere in the back third.
Grab a copy of Kafka's complete works, pour coffee on it and let it dry in the window.
Grab some Lovecraft short story collections and lay them haphazardly on your coffee table.
Boom, you're now the epitome of dark Yea Forums

>Infinite Jest
stopped reading here

Keep your forced memes on /fa/ please.

I saw this same pic in a post a few days ago.

Shit bait. Try again in a month when everybody already forgot this thing exists.

your mistake is thinking someone who is actually an academic would be some mopey loser in androgynous clothes.

actual philosophers recognize their obligation to the world and are too busy in that work to entertain frivolous things like cultivating a personal image. you are a midwit. you can begin to do better by reading a book.

Attached: apusaint.png (730x800, 158K)

>actual philosophers recognize their obligation to the world and are too busy in that work to entertain frivolous things like cultivating a personal image
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
*breaths in*
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

oh to be 19 again

>stopped reading
This is your brain on DFW. Don't let it happen to your family.

i'm sorry you don't know any actual philosophers user. it's too bad your professors are all pseuds. you should transfer to a real college.

>reading is pretty gay
Does a single user on here actually enjoy reading? I have yet to meet a single one.

No, I personally prefer getting drunk and yelling swear words at children in the park if we're being completely honest.

t. retarded 20 year old college kid

The irony in your post is palpable.

This is just over-educated alcoholic, dude. Not a good look.

>over-educated
lol what the fuck?

>over-educated alcoholic
I feel personally attacked, I've never owned any of the things in this picture and I drink a bottle of whiskey every night while I pour over my postmodernist tomes.

>/fa/
>reading is pretty gay
kek

I’ve had a recurring fantasy where I bully someone who dresses like this.

This sort of exclusive obsession with aesthetics absolutely tickles me

I'm so glad I'm not this shallow

>I'm so glad I'm not this shallow
Whatever helps you cope with your own mediocrity

Attached: 4f3de8129072922eba22d399a540588f.jpg (564x754, 93K)

not gonna lie but dead poet's society is my favorite movie
oh captain my captain

Thinking you're too intelligent for fashion or aesthetics is peak midwit

Watch "good will hunting" and think whether or not it is worthwhile putting in effort to become the blond long haired dude who gets pwned at the bar by the protagonist.

What you're doing is trying to become him. You want to prostitute being for the sake of having; you want to have an image of being, whilst not truly being. Instead, what you ought to do is become something and let your ass naturally follow it.

"Free your mind and your ass will follow."

Don't be a pseudo. Don't be a walking facts-mumbler. Don't use looks to fake a personality. Let your personality effortlessly express yourself through and beyond your looks.

yep.

Attached: 1529045868202.jpg (3790x2842, 851K)

*douchey
*pseud
>benzodiazepines
cringe

On a second glance, the understatedly covered title of the Nabokov is clever.

This thread is so fucking GAY

Buy a typewriter
Buy a record player, buy a bunch of classical records that are kinda beat up but not too bad
Buy a bunch of old things that look cool but have purpose in your life
Memorize a bunch of famous poems by 19th century people from France, New England, and the UK
Throw out all your beer and replace it with red wine and scotch
The only authors you need to know are Poe, Shelly, and Camus
Reference Rome as much as possible
Subscribe to the Criterion Channel and watch everything ever made by Jean Luc Godard, these are the only movies you are allowed to like now

kill yourself

These faggotred hipsters and lesbo arthoes make smoking and drinking coffee look bad, I am considering quitting just because of them.

>coffee
More like Earl Grey

based

you clearly have not read enough to make this joke

You could’ve posted a gif of two guys 69ing each other and it still wouldn’t have been as gay as that pic.

I thought the point of this core was to LARP as tropey eccentric from a cliche student film

This image is unbelievably gay.

I live near Yale and I haven't seen this guy outside of movies, I want my money back

careful guys, this man has a No True Scotsman and he's not afraid to use it