Have been reading his "On Writing"

>have been reading his "On Writing"
Is he such a bad writer after all? I mean, what he writes at least on this book is right on point. Is it possible he is actually a genius but only gets shat on because he writes for the normies?

Attached: stephen-king-9365136-1-402.jpg (1200x1200, 154K)

Different set of priorities. Dude wants to write books that entertain a large group of people that aren't necessarily looking for in-depth literature and make bank at the same time.

>Dude wants to write books that entertain a large group of people that aren't necessarily looking for in-depth literature and make bank at the same time.
Heck, then it doesn't mean he's necessarily a bad writer or that he isn't even a complete genius; hell, he might as well be and we wouldn't know. He is smart, that is what he is, and he gains an unbelievable amount of not only pleasure, but money and fame doing what he loves. He is smarter and more intelligent than literally 99% of all of lit.

Attached: tumblr_ozlhkghXhe1s05isjo2_250.jpg (250x332, 19K)

He’s definitely not a genius but he is a pretty good writer. Something this board has a really difficult time grasping is the reality that there’s a lot of “in between” rather than just GOAT writers and utter, irredeemable trash. It goes along perfectly with this site’s weird, black and white mindset about practically everything, though, so it’s not surprising.

>Is he such a bad writer after all? I mean, what he writes at least on this book is right on point.
what's in that book? is it just common sense stuff or actually helpful

A bit of both, it depends on how familiar you are with writing as a whole. If you've already started, maybe even got published once or twice I doubt there is much of value you could learn from it. Also, half of the book is an autobiography

Yeah imagine if Einstein used his genius to create a machine that masturbates him by giving him maximum pleasure and sold that and made tons of money and fame - that would have defined him as a world-changing mind for sure! Because that's the priority of those who are smart, right? To please themselves

His face looks like a skeleton.

Communist detected

They're aspiring to becomes GOATS themselves, user. Nowhere in the history of great artists has there been one who looked at the rest of humanity and said: "Eh, you know what? They're all right. I should take a more moderate approach."

you think writing for the masses is easy or something?

He's not looking to write self congratulatory pretentious books for a select few. He writes entertaining stories to spread his occult ideas to a large audience.

His occult ideas?

>his occult ideas
You mean his cliché genre pieces?

Different user here. I'm 28, but between the ages of 15 to about 19 read almost nothing other than King. To this day I marvel how he successfully integrated himself with the liberals. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, his books were chalk full of kid-fucking and homo-bashing. And being that most of this shit spawned from his glory days of coke binging, it's hard to believe King wasn't a bit homophobic/sexually frustrated with his unexpressed fetishes himself. He wants to spread kid diddling to the masses.

This is more or less just a common literary tactic employed to give a piece (((edge))), perpetuated by the prevalence of Lolita in western academia. King doesn't have the nuts to diddle kids, he just wants to sound like he does since that makes normies go 'wow so deep'

A good marketer is not the same as a good artist.

Kid diddling =/= occultism, you literal retard

Dark tower has a bunch of gnostic elements. Not just that the character practice magic but the idea of a measurable shining of dimension hopping potential as well as the idea of an interdimensional time loop and the destruction of the tower (the great I am) via a horn of jericho implying a possible liberation from said loop

>He’s definitely not a genius but he is a pretty good writer.
Watch the dual interview with Martin. They will say things that show understanding of construction, but in practice, demonstrate a lack of grace/finesse in composition -- their prose is the standard bearer for middling. That said, King's shotgun ideas man approach is very good, and it's no wonder so much of his material has been adapted so successfully;-- The Shining is massively more of a contribution to its medium than the source material is to its own for those reasons.

Look at the bad conscience on this Goat-fucker.

I have a friend who says King should have an editor.

as far as personal opinion goes I feel his short stories are his stronger works. Grey Goo and the one where the dude has eyes in his finger tips are all sorts of fucked up

I admire King but loathe his books. Think of him in these terms: what would you have him do instead of writing pulpy novels? Work a day job? Five to nine dead end position in a boring ass company?

I reject this, the ability to make a fair assessment of the quality of a work is fundamental to improvement of craft. Barring some exceptional individuals I would expect most artists to have a very keen sense for quality in their field.

well said, I think you're right. He only gets shat on because he writes for the normies. And because his political opinions are crap. And he lives in Maine. Not that there's anything wrong with Maine. But he lives there so it makes other normies want to live there.

Attached: stephen-king-slice-600x200.jpg (600x200, 37K)