Polish literature?

Anyone recommend me something to read for someone that has only read Solaris.

I've googled around but curious if anons know of anything that is must read.

Attached: shutterstock-433354651.jpg (729x425, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharaoh_(novel)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Rat by Andrzej Zaniewski

The Manuscript Found in Saragossa by Jan Potocki is an amazing book.

this 100%

Will take a look.
I keep seeing The Doll being recommended, so might look at that also.
thanks user.

Stanisław Lem , sci-fi only on the surface

The Doll is long and boring trash
check out The Knights of the Cross by Sienkiewicz instead

Stefan Żeromski's The Spring to Come, Labors of Sisyphus and Homeless People

Witold Gombrowicz, Ferdydurke

Attached: 1558359273531.png (1094x768, 1.26M)

this sounds based. will check them out.

trash?

lermentov's a hero of our time
poland is basically russia

His Master's Voice x 2, its fucking amazing

Arrival sounds like it's a ripoff of His Master's Voice

Attached: okladka_ferdydurke.jpg (420x675, 187K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharaoh_(novel)

Attached: Zofia Nałkowska - Boundary.jpg (400x400, 23K)

The Trilogy by Henryk Sienkiewicz

>be Wokulski
>old ass incel
>also a coomer
>get rich to score some teen aristocrat cunny
>fail miserably
>your friends are autistic af, one tries to create material lighter that air
>fail at commiting suicide
>”dissapear” because the author cant write the fucking ending
Book equivalent of a sitcom, teachers in Poland will masturbate over how great it is and spend weeks analysing every fucking detail

Dont listen to him Doll is great. Dont skip it I would also recommend Emancypantki to you by the same author although I dont know if there is english translation.

Czytanie polskiej literatury to pedalstwo a Wesele i Chłopi to ciota i chuj.

bazujący i zczerwonotabletkowany

(OP)
Don't listen to this retard.
>Sienkiewicz
The ultimate pleb filter an an insufferable author.
>Prus
The Doll, as opposed to anything by Sienkiewicz, is the best Polish novel in the tradition of Flaubert and Tolstoy, with all the good and bad sides of that category. Prus is coincidentally also the author of the best Polish historical novel - the Pharaoh, which can possibly be an even better recommendation for a foreigner than The Doll.
>Gombrowicz and Schulz
Both are incredibly influential world-class authors. You can easily find and decide which of their works to read on your own.
>Reymont
Contrary to another retard here he's a fantastic author, but I recommend The Promised Land instead of The Peasants due to the former's smaller size and more universal themes.
>Lem
His very sizable oeuvre overflows with humour, grotesque, sarcasm and very thin (and shallow) threads of philosophy. Tons of post 80s/90s edgy atheist fags read him in their formative period. Extremelly readable and one of a few sci-fi authors worth a read, but still just a sci-fi author.
This too.

There are many others, however they are often poets or some incredible stylists that are yet untranslated or untranslatable.

Tochman, not sure if his shit is translated though
It's journalism moreso than literature but certainly top tier

Polish great writers compared to Germans or Russians are trash. We maybe had good poets if you kinda like this shit. Shitstorm with Mickiewicz and Słowacki is more interesting that they writings.

Attached: 4f58ee89855326016ea833a183a4ca80d2eb96c8ac48d4353bf15df706e0f536.png (640x419, 377K)

The Lunar Trilogy
not EOP friendly though

This is absolutely godawful, basically watered down Flaubert with no real essence.

This is a great suggestion.

This and esp. is also pretty spot on.

This is pretty weak outside of its context.

This is a fairly reasonable entry point into modern polish lit, and Gombrowicz is probably one of its most prominent representants, although his dramas and late prose are way better (esp. his last novel, Cosmos).

I won't say I agree with you completely, but you're partially right. Then again, if you're Polish and love the language, there are great authors that were forgotten or remain untranslated, poets or otherwise. Leśmian and Herbert and the Young Poland dudes are amazing, Miłosz too, although I don't like him. Waclaw Berent is a good example of a forgotten author with grand ideas and sublime language. Parnicki too as well as Mackiewicz.

>Witold
started reading his short stories today
cosmos looks like a really interesting novel, i look forward to reading that

>Witold Gombrowicz, Ferdydurke
Ferdydurke is one of the most important modernist novels of the 20th century, an absolute masterpiece comparable with Ulysses, The Man Without Qualities and The Sleepwalkers. Very nice to see him mentioned in this thread.

Witkacy (especially Insatiability and Farewell to Autumn, also check Narcotics, the first few pages of the chapter about nicotine summarise his philosophy pretty well) Gombrowicz, Czesław Miłosz and Lem
(a painting by Witkacy)

Attached: FBCDE3FA-B486-4190-B159-0D7BA9AF45B9.jpg (2500x1902, 1.82M)

All of Lem's books are good, but I prefer:

>The Star Diaries
>Memoirs of a space-traveler
>Tales of Pirx the pilot
>More tales of Pirx the pilot
>The Cyberiad
>His master's voice

et al. to Solaris.

Attached: PIrx.jpg (625x1000, 150K)

all from Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz (witkacy)

Ryszard Kapuściński's books about his travels in Africa and the thirld world during the Cold War are good. Start with The Emperor.

Joseph Conrad