Which is the best National Epic/Epopey that isn't The Odyssey, The Illiad or The Aeneid?

Which is the best National Epic/Epopey that isn't The Odyssey, The Illiad or The Aeneid?
Got myself thinking about it when considering reading The Lusiads

Attached: 250px-Luís_de_Camões_por_François_Gérard.jpg (250x339, 29K)

>The Odyssey/Iliad
>national epic
>The Aeneid
>national epic

Do you know anything about Greek history? The Greek nation state didn't exist when Homer was composing and it certainly wasn't viewed as a national epic. Nor was Rome a "nation" and The Aeneid wouldn't have been seen as a "national" epic. None of the works you listed were national epics. The Aeneid could maybe be called an imperial epic. And Homer's works elude any sort of socio-political classification apart from being generally Hellenic; the Hellenes not being viewed as one nation, but rather as small tribal-statal groups with relative autonomy.

Kalevala

Attached: Sleek&Tears.jpg (987x1200, 93K)

The Poly-Olbion, my friend

Attached: poly-olbion.jpg (1122x1536, 1.14M)

hope you're reading it in portuguese
Also, the number one spot will almost invariably go to Divine Comedy. The fight for number #2, for me, would be between Faust (or Nibelungenlied, La Chanson de Roland, The Lusiads, Cantar de Mio Cid, Beowulf (or Paradise Lost)

congrats on outing yourself as a pleb with 0 grasp of ancient greek and roman views of ethnicity, nationality and state.

>dude nations didn't exist before 18th century lmao

>be between Faust (or Nibelungenlied), La Chanson...
fix'd

congrats on outing yourself as a pleb with 0 grasp of ancient greek and roman views of ethnicity, nationality and state.

I never said that.

>National Epic / Epopee
>National Epic OR Epopee
Gonna tell me any of these three are not an Epopee?Thanks for the lecture, dipshit.

Sim, estou.
I forgot about Dante, thanks, especially because I speak some italian

Based chad finn. Know Any english translations that happen to be good?

Aeneid is the national epic of Rome. if you dispute that you're a pleb. Aeneas was already associated with the foundation of Rome before Virgil. He took that and used it as a basis to compose a foundational myth for the Roman city and state. If that is not a isn't a national epic, then nothing is.
>b-but romanitas was based on citizenship, not birth!
That doesn't change anything, especially in the 21st century where several countries view nationality on the basis of legal citizenship instead of birthplace/descent.

Homer might not have intended the Illiad as a national epic. However, being a synthesis of greek beliefs, myths and culture, being centered on a critical episode in greek history, and being considered as a national epic by later greek speakers, it qualifies as a national epic.
Moreover, a definitive concept of greek ethnicity appears during the wars against Phillip II, and this is attested in the works of Isocrates.
From around the 4th century BC, Greece will become more or less "an area under greek control where people engage in greek culture".
To speak and live greek language and culture was to become greek.
This however was tempered with the excellent occurrence of greek racism based on climate. I will concede that these beliefs were modified according to place and epoch, but the bulk of the argument stands.

The Roman empire wasn't a nation, therefore the Aeneid cannot be called a national epic, simple as :)

Nibelungenlied (The rhythm and the structure is fun, but be sure to read the Völsunga saga too, to get the background, because it starts in medias res.)
The Song of Roland
Maybe the Shahnameh ("Book of Kings") too, though if I recall correctly, it's more of a collection of tales in verse from the history and mythology of Iran/Persia. Afaik it single-handedly saved Persian culture from perishing.

I found the Lusiads to be utterly uninteresting a third of the way in.

You could also try:
Kudrunlied
Argonautica
Mahabharatha
Kalevala
Epic of Gilgamesh
The Peril of Sziget
John the Valiant
Toldi (Though the rhythm is untranslatable)

the city of Rome and its citizens were a nation, retard.

no they weren't, it was literally a clash of nations from the beginning. did you even read the aeneid at all? lmaoooo

The mater of france is fun. Arthurian cycle is pretty good too.

>sim, estou

i think you need to work on your portuguese before you try reading the lusiads in the original portuguese. "estou" is not an appropriate response here and you seem to be translating literally from english, or else using google translate lol

Qual o problema gramatical? Deve ser porque sou brasileiro

In my opinion, it would have to be Ezra Pound's
The Cantos

Attached: uberchad.jpg (859x960, 224K)

>A nation is the same as a nation state
>If a group of people united on the basis of a common language, territory, history, ethnicity, or psychological make-up manifested in a common culture but isn't unified by one large state they aren't a nation
You're an idiot. The ancient greeks were divided politically but they all shared largely the same cultural background. They very easily can be describe as a singular nation. The Iliad and Odyssey is 100% the uniting cultural epic for their nation.

oh, maybe you didn't understand the english question well then, just thought it was weird to respond to "hope you're reading it in portuguese", with "estou", since you're not reading the lusiads at the moment as you said in ur first post

mas se tu estás lendo os lusíadas agora mesmo, está bem escrito como tu fizeste :)

You're an ass

mein kampf

Attached: hyperchad.jpg (1024x1024, 110K)

i thought he was learning portuguese, so i was going to give him advice on the language to help him out, stfu

maybe he isn't OP, or maybe he had already started reading the Lusiads and the text in OP was misleading.
maybe you also don't need to be a snob.
why do portuguese people take everything literally?

How important is rhythm? Never found a difference,or liking, when reading poetry in different styles.

And structure

:^]

Attached: B4B05A8C-4875-4EA1-864E-5EA186D9A99F.jpg (229x350, 31K)

embarrassing

If I want to read the Nibelungenlied in English because I'm a brainlet who doesn't understand German should I read the Needler verse translation or one of the Pengin/Oxford prose translations?

>Paradise Lost
It is debatable, but I would consider Paradise Lost anything but a national epic. When Milton was still a university student, he contemplated composing a national epic based on the Arthurian legends but he soured on that idea. You see, Milton believed that monarchy tended to degenerate into tyranny, and a tyrant forced his subjects to serve him, usually in ways that made it impossible for a subject to serve God. A republic administered by godly men would govern in such a way that would allow the people to practice Christian liberty: Milton spent most of his adult life as a servant of the republican governments during the Interregnum. He was bitterly disappointed when the British celebrated the return of Charles II and thought of them as anything but heroic and unworthy of a national epic. He compared them to the stiff necked Hebrews wandering through the wilderness who would have preferred being well-fed slaves in Egypt than struggling to reach the Promised Land. Paradise Lost is what we get instead, which isn’t a bad consolation prize.

The Henriad. Nuanced, passionate, dark, and almost every performance of each play is different.

The Tain Bo Cuailnge (there's some accents in there but I can't be fucked, it's also called the Cattle Raid of Cooley) is an underrated bit of epic heroism. It's not all in verse and the parts that are in verse aren't translatable, but if you're reading poetry in translation you're a pleb anyway, so why not have fun and read something obscure?

Some other suggestions:
I've seen the Kalevala, but it deserves mentioning again
Beowulf
Song of Roland

Ramayana and Mahabharata

Get the verse translation. No point in reading it as a prose work. (If you must, then read the Icelandic saga version instead.)

Kalevala