Why should I read this?

why should I read this?

Attached: 41OYxBLbBRL._SX304_BO1,204,203,200_[1].jpg (306x499, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Orthodox-New-Testament-Translated-Leatherette/dp/0944359256
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You shouldn't. Read a Catholic Bible.

You shouldn't.

Attached: s-l400.jpg (400x400, 31K)

Ignore these
If you read the Bible cover to cover, your entire inner self will change

Read the original

Attached: tanakh2.jpg (1600x900, 626K)

Because it sucks. Most of the things Yea Forums tells you to read suck and this is no exception. So just read it, you little bitch. At least its more mechanically practical than Infinite Jest

The bible, and other religious books, are philosophy books that were taken too literally. You can learn a lot from them, they have stuff you can quote, and you earn braggin rights.

Do it user.

Yeah, it definitely encouraged me to never board another hype-train.

Because it is true.

Attached: chadley.jpg (572x590, 84K)

Weirdly enough I was about to buy a bible today, had one in my hand but remembered there where certain versions better than others. Couldn't remember which was which though do I didn't bother.
What's the best one to read?

will it really?

do i just start with page 1?

do i read the OT?

How is it weird that you were picking up a book which is in constant rotation as a topic on this board?

user I have a funny story to you reply to me if you wanna hear - it pertains to your story

Cause I'm never on this board to be honest.

Does it end with you calling me a fag? Because if it is, I already heard that one before and I didn't care too much for it

NRSV and NKJV are the two best versions.

No

I felt the sudden urge to go buy a Bible, so I went to Barnes and Nobles t oget their special edition I saw an user here suggest

but they were out!
so i couldnt get a bible :(

funnily enough both of the people helping me find the bible were gay (one had the lgbt flag all over their shirt - i didn't mind it)

The Lord works in mysterious ways.
Thank you m8

give me a basic gestalt on the OSB

Attached: 51Q%2BZMVMhpL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_[1].jpg (331x499, 41K)

Which OT and NT books should I absolutely read? No more than 3-4 for each.

If you say "all" I won't read any of it.
If no one replies I won't read any of it.
If anyone suggests John I won't read any of it.

Isn't actually Orthodox.

so what do English Orthodox Christians actually read?

Genesis
Exodus
1st Samuel
2nd Samuel

Luke
Acts
Romans
Philippians

>OT
Psalms
Ecclesiastes
Job
Lamentations

>NT
Revelation
Matthew
Pastoral epistles

They don't, you should be very wary of "English Orthodoxy", they all have a extremely strained relationship with the mother church and are considered spiritual deserts.

Hell yeah now you're talking.

Despite what people would have you believe the Bible isn't actually have long, reading the synoptic gospels doesn't take more than a couple of hours, you go to the pauline epistles for answers and generally don't read them like a book, Acts requires you to have a good understanding of Luke though.

I mean the entire fucking thing is only 1000~ pages.

Because it is the most influential book ever written. Whether you agree with it or not it has shaped the development of the western world. Almost every Christian author prior to 1900 would have been intimately familiar with it and it deeply influenced the development of these subsequent works. Even if you get nothing from it spiritually its essential to read it so as to understand the world we live in.

So what should I read if I want to learn about Orthodoxy in English?

Most english ortho churches are fine with the NKJV or KJV or ESV.

The Ortho Study bible is a good supplement for the footnotes and what not.

There is also a new Ortho translation of the NT. You can probably find it online.

amazon.com/Orthodox-New-Testament-Translated-Leatherette/dp/0944359256

So you can realize that no one actually gets their morals from the Bible and that its actually full of and condones some seriously sick shit.

t. buttpirate

>If anyone suggests John I won't read any of it.
SHIT taste

Okay

To see for yourself just how deeply it taints and corrupts the soul.

Okay and why should I read it in its entirety?

No, buttpiracy is disgusting but I don't need Jewtales one through twenty seven to figure out not to put my weewee in a shithole. Thanks

Attached: 1526942670798s.jpg (162x250, 6K)

Man I really felt my inner self changed when I read all those censuses and endless genealogies

Not to mention the dimensions of Solomon's Temple and Palace. It was especially impactful the second time around after I'd read like 6 other completely different narratives and half expected I would hear the exact same story again. I broke down and cried.

Attached: 137460779574.png (800x1200, 851K)

Attached: fedora_1.jpg (1200x1116, 404K)

Yeah I don't like Christianity but we can surely do better than this kind of Reddit fodder

Don't. Read Stirner instead.

Attached: 1552995100378.jpg (512x512, 58K)

KEK it shuld be a meme

Bible is actually extremely hard hard to read and understand with your first try. It's most likely impossible if you really want to go deep. I've seen many times during my life how interpretation changes the more you know so you might understand the same verse differently after some time passes and you experience more - get wiser.
nice joke, seriously

I skip John because I prefer not to read fiction

bcuz of its influence on others.

Douay Rheims is the best version as it is based on the original Latin compiled bible translated by based St Jerome

Because if you are unable to fully read even the most influential book, then why read anything at all?

Second chapter of a first Kings book was basically Godfather in a nutshell.

The bible is an okay book in parts. I liked the Torah in Hebrew it's written okay and I find it interesting even though I don't particularly like fiction. New testament is much worse comparatively I'd rate it a 4/10 it's like bad fanfiction.

>citing a Latin translation as 'original'

this is your brain on Catholicism

Ephesians, Cornithians, Romans

nah

It's meaningless propaganda that is meant to expand on your moral compass. If you read it, most of what brings you entertainment will eventually offend you because of the mindless shit is on there. Sooner or later you'll be enforcing agendas for no reason other to benefit your little idolatry-based world.

You only need the Gospel

John 14:6 kjv
>Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Because it's the truth user, Jesus Christ really did die for our sins to open up a path for salvation worldwide. Because we are all dead men walking in sin and are hellbound without the blood of Christ.

Romans 6:23 kjv
> For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Many churches have it wrong and teach a false doctrine of work base salvation. True salvation is simple because Jesus died in our stead and paid for our eternal lives with his blood. All we need to do is humbly accept the free gift of salvation by believing in him and his name only. You can all get saved tonight anons.

Attached: 1568337392517.jpg (1024x784, 248K)

Acts 16:30-31 kjv
>30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
>31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

All you need to do is believe user, the world makes it harder for us to believe, because this world is not of God.

Attached: charles-colson-481069.jpg (640x916, 152K)

Because your parents told you so.

Attached: 29e.jpg (848x800, 80K)

The King James version of the book of John is regarded as one of the most beautiful pieces of English literature, even admitted so by non believing scholars.

One of the most Chapters in the Holy Bible, Psalms 23 (KJV)

1The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Attached: kjv vs modern versions.jpg (1080x1087, 153K)

Unironically, I feel like reading and knowing the main "plot" of the Old Testament is just a damn smart thing to do. Like, it's one thing for people to be less religious than in the past, but the language and concepts of the Bible underlie a LOT of shit.

I also somewhat agree with , in that reading the New Testament (while also important to understand some relatively modern things) is a slog, especially *after* the Old Testament. You may dislike or end up disliking some parts of the OT, but it's written fairly well overall. The NT's Gospels, along with most of the NT, is just Jesus as the central mysterious badass fanfic character that intentionally and in a cringey-as-fuck way piggybacks on OT concepts (esp. the prophetic OT books, which is most unreadable trash).

Do yourself a favor and read the Iliad instead. Don't embrace Abrahamic slave morality.

Lot fucked his two daughters and God was A-Okay with that, then he offers them up to a crowd of men to be gangraped and God thought that was okay too.

I could go on and on, but I've got work in a couple hours and don't really care all that much.

this. Jewish law and scripture should be read and contemplated before considering the Moshiach.

protcuck translation spam incoming

this but ironically. read a torah with annotations then go to the NT with annotations (catholic version best)

read the quran. its concise, simple and really soul lifting. quran.com especially sahih international. you can read the bible, unless you wanna go to like thousands of pages for different versions: unlike the quran which is ~600 pgs