Should I read the Odyssey before I read Ulysses?

Should I read the Odyssey before I read Ulysses?

Attached: JoyceUlysses2.jpg (444x562, 125K)

Other urls found in this thread:

culturedarm.com/homeric-parallel-ulysses-joyce-nabokov-homer-maps/
books.openedition.org/puc/238?lang=es
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes.
And not ever.

Yes, and Hamlet.

Do whatever you wanna do. Reading the Odyssey won't provide you with enough context for reading Ulysses. Neither will reading the rest of the Western Canon or Irish/British history.
If you understand something, either before or after reading the book, that'll be totally up to your analytic skills and knowledge of history/culture, not the product of following some strict list of pre-requirements.

the odyssey is good on its own, so yea. so is ulysses. when you notice the parallels in structure you'll think: neat.
but the main thing is reading 2 good books.

Should I read Ulysses before I read Ulysses

Is this possible? Evenς

Attached: 30AB2E12-4546-41A5-B719-F67254901E12.png (668x1876, 604K)

Yes. You'll want to know who Nausicaa and Circe and Telemachus and Penelope, etc. etc., are, so that you can recognize their parallels in Ulysses. If you don't know that the whole first part of the Odyssey is actually the Telemachy you'll be confused about why the first part of Ulysses is about Stephen Daedalus and the rest is about a Jewish ad man.

This is exactly what I did.
Read it two consecutive times.
Preread then read > read then reread

It's very true that you can't understand it on one read. I read it blind and it took some effort to figure out what was going on (although that was also part of the fun).

Should I really read Summa Theologica?

Yes, but it MUST be in the original Latin. Manuscript copy if possible.

Listen to Frank Delaney's Re:Joyce podcast

you should be able to quote large sections from it by memory in order to understand Joyce desu

Ok I'm starting Latin this year and ordering my manuscript copy then.
I can't wait to fully read Ulysses.
Amen.

>fagles' odyssey
>ciardi's divine comedy
at least read the chapman and sayers translations if you're too stoopid to read the originals

Chamber Music, Summa Theologica and Summa Contra Gentiles and The DIvine Comedy are pushing it. Those works are referenced throughout the novel, but in no way so much that it requires reading those works before. Dubliners, Portrait, Odyssey and Hamlet are the true essentials.

Yes but before you read the Odyssey you should read The Iliad but before the Iliad you should read Hamilton’s Mythology

fuck this. i'm going back to Yea Forums

I didn't read any of those before reading Ulysses. I did read supplementals w each chapter.

Attached: 20190909_174313.jpg (4032x1960, 1.89M)

another pleb filtered. good riddance.

mu is one of the worst boards. this coming from someone whose main interest is music

/po/ > Yea Forums > Yea Forums

Reading the Odyssey before Ulysses is a meme. Joyce said so himself

source?

You should read whatever you want, compiling a huge list of books to read before so you feel "entirely informed" is basically just intense procrastination.Read the goddamn book and stop being a dumb asshole.

You should read whatever the fuck you want in the order you desire and gradually acquire an appreciation for history and context when reading other works which enrich your understanding of other books previously read. Fuck.

Based

Fuck off then imbecile

culturedarm.com/homeric-parallel-ulysses-joyce-nabokov-homer-maps/

>Joyce later lamented asserting all this symbolist apparatus upon his work. He told Vladimir Nabokov in 1937 that his use of Homer was a mere ‘whim’, and that he regretted his collaboration with Gilbert, calling it ‘A terrible mistake, an advertisement for the book. I regret it very much’.
>It is worth noting that despite his schemata, Joyce ultimately published Ulysses without headings, with its three parts and eighteen episodes only numbered. The practice of referring to the episodes by their Homeric titles is a dubious matter of practicality, rather than a critical evaluation of the importance of the Homeric motif.

books.openedition.org/puc/238?lang=es

>But it is curious to note the episode retailed by Ellmann in his biography of Joyce which recalls a conversation between the novelist and Vladimir Nabokov in 1937:
>Joyce said something disparaging about the use of mythology in modern literature. Nabokov replied in amazement, “but you employed Homer!” “A whim,” was Joyce’s comment, “but you collaborated with Gilbert,” Nabokov persisted. “A terrible mistake,” said Joyce, “an advertisement for the book. I regret it very much.”

He also had the chapter names omitted later on.

Attached: DFFB7743-17B0-49B6-BD83-CAAE8B06281D.gif (535x600, 1.51M)

Just read up on Irish history, and some of the stuff other anons have mentioned such as Hamlet