If you're depressed or unhappy, why not just stop thinking? Just stop thinking, bro

If you're depressed or unhappy, why not just stop thinking? Just stop thinking, bro.

Are there any books about the rejection of intellectualism and simplifying your life so that you essentially become an animal going through basic motions, discovering contentment in the process?

Attached: 1567989830129.jpg (542x839, 63K)

i have a better solution: if you can't bear the weight of being a mortal fallible and flawed human start believing in the skydaddy , read the bible , go to church and always say yes to people who ask you to do stuff for them

Just imagine Sysiphus happy

So you want to become an NPC just consume modern American media watch the news and do all they say.

This is stoicism

I like the concept of god or another sort of higher power, but religion is fake and gay. I did the Christianity tour when I was a kid, good while it lasts, but you're a willing rube if you believe a man rose from the dead.

That said, prayer is nice as a spiritual practice divorced from religiosity, and the social element of religion can be useful. I wouldn't feel honest in church though.

>If you're depressed or unhappy, why not just stop thinking? Just stop thinking, bro.
Why do you think there are all these meditation threads on lit lmao

I've tried this but I can't stop thinking. Instead I just repeat positive mantras. But since telling myself "I am happy" ad infinitum doesn't work I repeat the words "I enjoy suffering".

>always say yes to people who ask you to do stuff for them
no need to be a cuck

I love it when my despair about the state of society is mistaken for mental illness. I love it when your therapist looks at you and asks "user, why dont you resort to caring only about that which you can control".

I have never had the ability to stop caring about that which resides outside of my control. How do people do it?

If only I could stop thinking completely, I might stop cooming

>refusal to let negative thoughts get the better of you
>rejection of intellectualism

pick one

question your thoughts, create a logical process of deciding whether a negative process is valid. Mentally answer thoughts that aren't valid with some equivalent of "Who gives a fuck?", and repeat that every time it rudely enters your mind again. Treat rude thoughts that enter uninvited as bad guests, and in my experience, they tend to leave.

Also, this hinges upon realising that your thoughts aren't an extension of your own being

But intellectualism naturally leads to nihilism; how does one escape the Cioran-pill, other than to literally stop philosophizing?

zen

>intellectualism naturally leads to nihilism
until you can prove sweeping statements like this, you shouldn't tell yourself that they're true.
Besides, Nihilism can be true. ie
>I can't prove what exists other than myself
>But my perceptions are an extension of myself
>Therefore my perceptions are the most likely thing to exist outside myself that are real
>Therefore, I may as well havea net positive impact on what I can perceive with my perceptions, as it is the only thing I can come close to proving exists right here and now

Sorry, Nihilism can be positive*

Before last century religious people lived in fear of hell.
Atheists are contradictory in their criticisms of religion. What you said is pretty common, but ideas about religion as social control through fear of damnation are also common. In that case religion wouldn't offer any relief.
Not that long ago some new Atheist, perhaps Dawkins, rented a bus and made it travel through London with a message like "relax be happy do what you want God probably doesn't exist"

Existentialism was never much of a cope, let's face it. Your mind will always wander back to the inherent emptiness of being. You've gotta shut that sucker off somehow or your motivation drains out your toes.

Religion offers relief from meaninglessness, and imposes fear that contributes to social order and maintenance of the hierarchy. Those aren't contradictory effects; I'd argue they complement each other.

Just watch Ace Ventura 2: When Nature Calls every time the existential dread starts to creep in. Works every time.

Holy normie!

Ecclesiastes

don't do this, ecclesiastes is both a blessing and a curse.

A better mantra would be “this suffering does not limit my happiness.”

Oh well, can't expect a religionist to understand religion anymore than a jockey knows horse anatomy.