How much should characters' physical appearance be described?

How much should characters' physical appearance be described?

Attached: file.png (320x281, 90K)

Based /ic/ poster

doesn't matter to me because characters are always faceless forms in my mind's eye

unless I've seen a movie for the book then it's the fuckin actors STOP USURPING MY HAMLET KENNETH

it should be like
>her hair was golden like the rays of sunshine in a summer morning
you know
but it doesn't matter most of the time because I don't know why most books don't describe the character's features right away so I just form a mental picture

It should be described only to the point to which you understand their personality / character. Meaningless details that don't contribute to the story shouldn't be included. There is eloquence in simplicity

Why did he morph from a chad to incel in the bottom sequence?

>reading for imagery

depends on how well you can see them

Just something general like hair color or give some of them some distinguishing features like sunken cheeks or long face etc. Going into more detail is fucking stupid because nobody remembers that shit anyway.

Descriptions serve two functions narratively: One is setting expectations so you can later fufill or subvert them. The other is to make a strong first impression so people associate something with their name.

Loomis works in mysterious ways.

>strong first impression
This is legit. Also if they're a character whose appearance will repeatedly effect how other people react to them.

Depends. A very detailed description might tell us something about a narrator's priorities even if the reader gets no proper picture out of it.

This.

Enough for Hollywood to not condense them into an improvised mess of PC.

it should be implicit

Not at all

>he was a man with hair and eyes

I want to have a picture of the character but it should leave some up for interpretation because my two-digit brain is bad at reconstructing literary descriptions.

"The Virgin Facial Characteristics"
"The Chad Featureless Sphere"

genital size and nothing else matters

As with anything else, the parts that are A) aesthetic and B) meaningful. Characters should have one or few features which are both, and then nothing else.

It shouldn’t be unless it’s relevant to the story

The men rushed forward to kiss the Inquisitor"s ring. They wore grey uniforms, somewhat tattered; long muddy overcoats with the collars popped up. They carried daggers, swords, bows, and multiple coils of rope; the thick stury kind one uses to tie nooses. Besides their weaponry they had shields, rusty iron helmets, and a multitude of trinkets; glass vials, pliers, scalpels, and each of the men wore a silver cross around their neck.

One had straw coloured hair and he seemed the youngest of the lot. He had a hairless face and large blue eyes, but the kid cast his eyes down when Gotthard inspected him, as if he had comitted severe, depraved sins and was afraid his guilty secrets would somehow be unearthed.

little bit of hair color, and their clothes at the time. that's about it. all other aspects of the person's appearance should be derived from their character.

this is really bad. you read this? you write this? either way it's really bad.

What the hell is wrong with this board

Enough

Yes, I would imagine some people read for imagery AMONG other things, you fucking retard.

>I need descriptions of pretty pictures

Attached: 1566446206518.jpg (558x614, 18K)

barely at all. don't even give your male protagonist a name. at most, you can describe the shape of his penis, but nothing more.