I hate this shit in old novels

>character A bumps into character B or slightly hurts his fee fees
>character B: "I challenge you to a duel!"
>character A starts panicking instead of just telling him to fuck off

This trope hasn't aged well, has it?

Attached: ichallengeu.jpg (700x483, 133K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/e68nuAcSuWQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are you an American?

The duel is a method of settling disputes, following strict rules, without resorting to the primitive brute force of the mere arm and fist. There is no need to point out the striking contrast between this American trait and the ideal behavior of the English gentleman, despite the fact that the English made up a component of the original people of the United States.

Modern Western man, to a large extent a regressive type, is in various respects comparable to a crustacean; he is as “hard” on the outside – as a man of action, as an unscrupulous entrepreneur, as an organizer, and so forth – as he is “soft” and formless in his internal substance. Now, this is true to the highest degree of Americans, who represent the degenerate Western type carried to the extreme. But here we find another of their affinities with the Negro. Inconsistent sentimentality, banal pathos, especially in love affairs, put Americans much closer to Negroes than to truly civilized Europeans. Of this, observers can easily find clear evidence in a number of typical American novels and again, songs, as well as in cinema and everyday life.

Only true patricians would understand. Sorry.

>getting shot because you couldn't handle one tiny insult
Yeah, it's a bit hard to understand mental retardation.

I dislike your post and challenge you to a duel, OP. Are you going to accept the challenge or flee in shame like a sissy coward? It's your choice.

Refusing a duel makes you a pussy. You lose your honor and respect of your peers.

Dueling was a thing in America too

As an American how do I ascend the negro mindset? Would immersing myself in Europe and taking massive doses of psychedelics work?

>The duel is a method of settling disputes, following strict rules, without resorting to the primitive brute force of the mere arm and fist.
as is the phrase, "fuck off"

It was another time, you revisionist burger faggot.

coward

Nothing beats the duel scene in Demons.

Imagine how many narcissists would die annually to shit like this if it was still legal.

>Would immersing myself in Europe
You'd better do it properly, a surface level is not enough.
>taking massive doses of psychedelics work?
This one is more likely to be helpful, but it will take you elsewhere; though this may be exactly what you need.

>>character A starts panicking instead of just telling him to fuck off
they can't do much if its illegal to deny a duel

Don’t be so hurt user

It was never illegal to decline a duel. Never In history. Nowhere in the face of the world. It was simply disgracefull.
>inb4 amerimutt tries to understand dignity.

I would rather die in an honest duel than continue living my whipped dog's life.

Where is this ever a thing? It's not a thing in Three Musketeers or in Monte Cristo. It's also not in any western I can think of off the top of my head. It's not even in Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

This, Andrew Jackson is famous for killing the fuck out of people.

Also I reccomend the Duellests (1977) by Ridley Scott. It was his first feature and is quite good.

>when you're an uneducated Vicount who wasn't made to study The Prince and you die and end your family line instead of scheming to get ahead like a smart nobleman

Yeah it completely takes the piss out of duel scenes in general. Pushkin already perfected it the dual pillars of Eugene Onegin and his short story The Shot, but the semi-satirical aspects of it were ripe for the picking even like 40 years later. No wonder Verkhovensky admired Stavrogin when the entire duel was just this out-Chadding the other poor sod

>Look attentively at the duels and the hand-to-hand combats, how superior the Italians are in strength, dexterity, and subtlety. But when it comes to armies they do not bear comparison, and this springs entirely from the insufficiency of the leaders (...)
Read Machiavelli before invoking him, amerimutt.

seethecope

ITT: pretend to not be classcucked by resorting to antiquarianism

I challenge you to a duel, you stupid fucker.

It has.

Attached: Get you game on.png (400x485, 234K)

Personally I prefer pursuing Chinese meditation.

1v1 ME YOU FUCKING NOOB

Russian shit. Partly just Pushkin's interest in them infecting later writers. Dude like Lermontov essentially dies because he's too much of a Pushkin fan to turn a duel down. Bear in mind Pushkin didn't actually kill people, more often than not didn't even fight and mostly just used it as a way to force someone else to back the fuck off.

This is an insightful post about Italians, as my just recently fired boss was Italian.

Quite capable of subtlety and manipulation, but incapable of leadership.

Well, speaking of movies, there are two duels in Barry Lyndon -- both quite striking. The first is short, the second very long and intense, with quite the horrible twist.

Attached: Duel.jpg (450x326, 135K)

It's not within my sensibilities but you have to understand they did it out of sticking to their internal character and principles. The old notion of honour. Perhaps our reactions towards it now are proof that we are formless pushovers.

>I hate novels
Fixed

based, americans on suicide watch

Attached: 1562263143194.jpg (2140x2832, 2.86M)

you dont.
and dont you dare come to europe

Class system user. Lower classes were not included and you would refuse any duel with a commoner. In fact it would be an insult to suggest you might duel him. The key idea isn't personal principles, it's that your honour has an unusually high value as a gentleman.

The entire trick is that it plays off hypocrisy on the part of nobles who were themselves in love with a medieval ideal of the unimpeachable nobleman. Which they need to stick to to protect themselves from arrivistes. Everyone declares that they would die rather than lose face because that's what their classical educations told them had once been true. People then start calling each other out on that shit and then 90% of them just back out before the main event. Those who fight then often attempt to do so non fatally so as to avoid criminal charges. Only a few dickheads actually go so far as trying to kill the other guy.

Dueling was literally an everyday occurrence in the antebellum South, and that's the region with the most "Negroes".

Wtf is that picture on the bottom row third from the right?

probably krampus

I think it’s mostly a Catholic vs Protestant mindset
Mind that the Code Duello used by the Brits had Irish origins

This. You duel only with your peers
If a commoner insulted a nobleman, he used to kick him or send servants to beat him
Even young Voltaire, who was not a hillybilly, got beaten for challenging an aristocrat to a duel

Yes and it also implies that fue king is part of a Prince's job

*dueling

most novels i've read that have this happen sufficiently explain the motivations of the characters and put them in a context where it makes sense
actually the first two that come to mind, war & peace and fathers & sons actively dissect the whole concept

Nigger

The last duel in France, stopped at first blood. It was two "congressmen" after one publicly insulted the other

youtu.be/e68nuAcSuWQ
oops I'm retarded

C.G Jung's observations concerning America:
>Another thing that struck me [in the American] was the great influence of the Negro, a psychological influence naturally, not due to the mixing of blood. The emotional way an American expresses himself, especially the way he laughs, can best be studied in the illustrated supplements of the American papers; the inimitable Teddy Roosevelt laugh is found in its primordial form in the American Negro. The peculiar walk with loose joints, or the swinging of the hips so frequently observed in Americans, also comes from the Negro.[3] American music draws its main inspiration from the Negro, and so does the dance. The expression of religious feeling, the revival meetings, the Holy Rollers and other abnormalities are strongly influenced by the Negro. The vivacity of the average American, which shows itself not only at baseball games but quite particularly in his extraordinary love of talking – the ceaseless gabble of American papers is an eloquent example of this – is scarcely to be derived from his Germanic forefathers, but is far more like the chattering of a Negro village. The almost total lack of privacy and the all-devouring mass sociability remind one of primitive life in open huts, where there is complete identity with all members of the tribe.

Attached: 1537002700669.jpg (220x330, 14K)

>we English are civil men who literally kill each other over trivialities instead of just shrugging it off, you American peasant
Obsessed

One of the characters in The Pickwick Papers get into a duel for a reason basically just as silly as OP's example.

The negros act the way they do from Americans though, Americans are the original niggers.

*Three pistol duels

That movie is based on a short story by Joseph Conrad (which in turn was based on a true story). Seeing how this is a literature forum, I'd recommend the book.

>without resorting to the primitive brute force of the mere arm and fist.
Wanna know how I know you're a faggot?

Attached: 1376006450953.jpg (960x600, 101K)

fuck off