How can an author create a fictional universe that invokes themes and emotions so reliably it becomes a mass phenomenon...

How can an author create a fictional universe that invokes themes and emotions so reliably it becomes a mass phenomenon? I don't understand these minds. What's the magic (or insights) behind them?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 20K)

in order to tap into a zeitgeist and captivate the minds of the masses one must study and understand myth

Harry Potter is a shit character though, no wonder he appeals to normos

It's mostly just random luck.

Star Wars, Harry Potter and Game of Thrones are not quality work. They're "ok" enough to entertain but that's it. They just happened to show up in the right place at the right time.

Pic related somehow managed to combine thousands of tropes into a consistent and appealing grand narrative

I know she researched many of her (historical) inspirations in great depth, but still, it seems incredibly impressive for a single 25 year old person to accomplish this alone

what are your criteria for quality work?

>Harry Potter is a shit character though
He is there for you to insert in his place, similar to shitty protagonists in japanese light novels.

Meh I would fuck her.

>Star Wars
Regarding it getting to the movie level in the first place, sure. The films themselves were the Avatar of their time via special effects though. They brute forced their way into the mainstream.

>GoT
It's soapy but the characters are at least interesting seeming people as opposed to "I'm the smart one!" type JKR writing.

Now that I think about it, I really would like to see a tier list of pop novels. On the one hand I'll talk shit on Harry Potter, but I'd imagine 50 shades is leagues behind it.

Not Harry Potter, Game of Thrones or any other book turned movie.

I'm sure around the time the Potter series was coming out there were many rival titles that were just as good if not better but did not have the same level of marketing exposure. This stuff was being pushed pretty heavily on schools as I recall.

The Godfather? American Psycho? The Princess Bride? Life of Pi? Schindler's List? Schindler's List, user!

And what about Holes? I thought it was the one "you aight" YA novel around here.

Also The Road, I completely forgot it got a movie

misquote

A New Hope is a solid, engaging story. Empire is also pretty nice.

Good marketing department.

Not a fan of Ewoks I take it.

Friendly reminder that Lucas had Joseph Campbell consult him on making Star Wars resemble mythological archetype and that it was no mistake.

Walk Two Moons is another really good YA/childrens' novel from that time period that doesn't get mentioned enough, I suppose because it's more girl-centric. Great story though.

A lot of it is just luck.