Studying Philosophy as an undergrad

>studying Philosophy as an undergrad
>insufferable arrogant people everywhere
>feels covertly competetive
>never feel good enough and beat myself over the smallest mistakes

How do I make this less miserable sometimes?

Attached: 5D1CF612-C6CB-4BD6-85AD-6E761610D42E.jpg (745x731, 132K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cnbc.com/2018/08/16/15-companies-that-no-longer-require-employees-to-have-a-college-degree.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

None of the people in your class have a remote idea of what they're actually doing except perhaps the profs if you're lucky enough to have profs who have their shit together.
All your competition is about who will be the most efficiently retarded of all the retards, it has no bearing on anything and failing at it certainly isn't a reason to beat yourself up.
Your only competition should be the ideal image of yourself that accomplishes the goals that are really personal to you and that you have set for yourself.
He's the only guy you should care about beating.

Seriously OP, don't even let the opinion of a fucking undergrad (ie a child who barely started the abc of his discipline) get to you. I've met plenty of very skilled people in a variety of intellectual fields, and arrogance is the less common recurring trait among them.

>>studying Philosophy as an undergrad
don't do this

Thoughtful and useful post. Take heed, OP.

Good insighr and advice. Thank you. I need to lower my standards. Sometimes I feel that certain classmates of mine don’t like me deep down because of any positive qualities of my efforts and performance in class and then this becomes reciprocated by me to them but I would rather not do any of that and hope that everyone can have equal humility. It becomes more apparent when I hear everyone gossip to each other about other classmates in the department. Philosophers and philosophy students seem to be susceptible to arrogance and the act of aggrandizing one’s own philosophical views.

Embrace me, OP. I understand your struggle. I'm a psychology undergrad. People there spout absolute garbage ideas without an ounce of logicity to it, and utterly refutable within a second of a analysis, but which is revered by both students and teachers alike because it sounds beautiful and deep somehow.

However, when I contest them their way out is not counter argumentation, but simply: "we can't know the truth man don't even try that's arrogant", and they indulge in their dreaded relativism, both moral and epistemological. And the sad thing is, this is not only on the part of the students, but also the teachers!

Of all the teachers there only three have some sense that goes beyond this soft comfortable relativism and they're either hard scientists (cognitive psychologists) or a fucking borderline monk teacher who is balls deep in epistemology.

Oh man, the Humanities are fucked.

You're just bad at interacting with people. Not even trying to insult you guys but honestly you're not good at human interaction and might be autistic.

Nah man, I can separate intelectual endeavors from social ones. I just can't fathom when people spout weak nonsense as truth and call it philosophy or demand any sort of respect for a shitty theory just because.

Shit doesn't deserve respect. Respect is earned. Some ideas are more valuable than others. It's not all on equal footing. The new ager channeling aliens from zeta reticulae is not on the same ground as a physicist, psychologist or philosopher. Likewise, some baby who mis-read Nietzsche is not on the same footing as those who study hard to achieve trustworthy interpretations.

I urge you to not consider "philosopher" and "philosophy student" as equals.

It is essential for the philosopher to actually feel and see beauty in learning. The philosopher takes philosophy not as a subject, but as Verb. Not "philosophize", but Philosophy itself - - is a Verb, is an action.

It is necessary to feel knowledge. If you can't feel it, and instead just memorize words after words after words, you're not really a philosopher. You're just some hypermnesiac.

You don't even need to "study philosophy" as if it were a thing to be a philosopher. The drive to rid oneself of falsehood and ignorance and superstition, whatever are the ways to fulfill that drive, is what makes a philosopher.

I did a philosophy minor in undergrad.
My tactic was to not speak in class and avoid ever speaking to philosophy students in general.

>might be
WTF do you think you are?

This is what you get for not engaging in a STEM degree and reading philosophy in your spare time

My fucking sides

Attached: 063CB617-2B2B-4591-9B3C-4834168DADBD.jpg (453x600, 61K)

Your father. Go to bed son.

Study philosophy on your own. University is a scam.

Based and adding to his point OP the wise man knows he knows nothing. Often what academia does is place within individuals a superiority complex, within your journey you’ll notice that, once you seek truths you’ll manoeuvre yourself according to the situation you’re in with these people.

Secretly begin reading Kierkegaard and Walter Lowrie's Short Life of Kierkegaard.
Become the Kierkegaard guy.
Spend the rest of undergrad looking down upon and laughing at your classmates like a man among boys.

>University is a scam
Yeah if you want to work minimum wage or be a NEET.

Based

>Become the Kierkegaard guy
Please don't listen OP, I knew a Kierkegaard guy and he became a huuuge faggot (the gay kind).

cnbc.com/2018/08/16/15-companies-that-no-longer-require-employees-to-have-a-college-degree.html
You don't need a degree, you just need to prove you're skilled.

take up a trade and work with your hands
what are you, gay?

>you just need to prove you're skilled
And if you want to make actually good money you need to go to University to do so. Yeah you can get to the point you make $50,000 a year without a degree but you'll never make a decent salary, sorry.

>take up a trade and work with your hands
>what are you gay
If "gay" means I'm happy to make $200,000 a year while working 42 hours a week yeah I'm hardcore gay buddy.

Why would an employer choose not to make money from you just because you don't have a degree?

Attached: 4ACFE4E9-4AB3-4452-82A9-A3660B675042.jpg (750x498, 86K)

>apply to law firm
>haven't gone to law school, haven't passed the bar
>dude just give his dick a firm shake and he'll give you the job

Don't do law.

>law
I'd rather work in an industry that provides actual value and isn't too corrupted by government.

Why study law if doing so will never teach you what Justice truly is? Is money truly worth wasting so many years of your short life?

Attached: socrates-statue.jpg (999x1351, 112K)

>apply for research position without PhD in STEM
>get laughed into the gutter

>apply for research position
Why would I apply for a research position when I can get paid more to produce something?

>hurr durr everything isn't about money
>hurr durr muh money
pick one tard

Labour is about money. If you enjoy something it's not labour, it's a hobby.

Just speak softly and carry a big stick

Based Psychopath

>i know very nuch about these people i never met
stop coping and improve yourself

Based, it’s shit nihilistic stuck up rich hipster say to justify their inner superiority complex, fucking insufferable humans at core

>>never feel good enough and beat myself over the smallest mistakes
Isn't that because *you* are also covertly competitive? It may be shit, but it sounds like the best way for you to deal with it is to adjust your own attitude and nothing else

Not everyone that's bad at social interactions is autistic. There is more to it than that, you wouldn't know whether anyone is autistic purely on the fact that they are bad at social interactions.

Based

could you be more naive?
that's for "minorities" and women only

the entire economy is an absolute scam and if you're solely thinking about working and not rebellion, you have absolutely no humanity and no advice is any use to you.

baste and gonnamakeitpilled

this
Yea Forums is over full of obsequious subhumans

/thread

>I'd rather work in an industry that provides actual value and isn't too corrupted by government.
every industry is completely corrupted by government.
you should learn what a central bank is, your education is absolutely deficient in all regards.

Reading analytical philososhit for first semester of PPE at the moment. 2 weeks in and I now hate academic philosophy more than I thought possible; anyone contemplating a degree in pure philosophy is dumb, read the french moralists instead and spare yourself this mental torture. The first few lessons were absolutely insufferable, with people derailing the lecture by incessantly asking pedantic questions in order to show off their intelligence.
Class was divided into several groups with each being assigned a mentor with which we have a weekly discussion about the lectures gone by. As my mentor was writing stuff on the board it became apparent that the cunt could neither spell nor pronounce the term "a posteriori" and this bitch has read 1 year of philosophy already. The humanities need to fucking die

but you have to PROVE YOURSELF to the SYSTEM, how dare you criticize it, what else are you going to do, FIGHT BACK??
HAHAHAHAHA you don't even have a penis and your balls are like raisins you incel HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA enjoy having a minority woman as your boss HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Affirmative action literally rules our world.
Going to university is literally signing up to be a human toilet for diversity hires unfit for civilization much less authoritative roles.

Basically the economy, society, everything, is totally fake and you're losing your humanity trying to doublethink your way into believing the hype.

Bbbut I Do have a penis and my balls are quite the mouthful ?

If you're american you won't have a job when you graduate so the misery now is just preparing you for later when every HR person turns you down for even the most general of office paper-shifting jobs

Based
Cringe

I'm a psych student like and fairly good at socializing and he's absolutely correct about the state of humanities. It's a constant race to the bottom trying to see who's going to spout the most "woke" and "emotionally intelligent" statement trying to awe professors and the rest of the class while at the same time secretly wishing their colleagues to drop dead. It's a nightmare.

My experience has been the opposite with philosophy, where I see people express frustration over some of the ideas we go over in class because they see them as unimportant. The generation currently in college is extremely interested in topics related to existence, identity, metaphysics, morality, and theology, but academia doesn’t necessarily give this to them, and they stay lost while writing absurd papers and making absurd claims that they don’t believe in, but express solely because they’re forced to for their assignments. When I’ve recced kierkegaard, hegel, Deleuze etc (yes I know it’s entry level) to my peers, they usually find it revelatory, like it was expressing something they didn’t know how to express at all. A lot of modern, academic philosophy from actually academics also suffers from a lack of exposure to these philosophers

not playing is winning

>people in undergrad know what they're doing
>people who choose to major in philosophy in undergrad know what they're doing
Feel free to prove that counter-intuitive statement sir.

You're no god at strawmanning, are you? My parent are thousands of dollars in debt and I'm regularly giving them money to help them pay it back.

>yes I know it’s entry level
Interpretation is what is and isn't entry level, plenty of people make worthwhile careers looking at these people primarily.

I also liked Wargames.

This is unironically the only way to survive with a relative sane life on modern society

Interesting points user. I could be biased because I just came out of classes on morality and bioethics that had professors who weren’t interested in anything that came out prior to the 1950s, and used works that actually denounced these works. Like my bioethics class had a part about process vs substance philosophy and we only read works that were