What's the most Yea Forums craft to practice? I have a few initial suggestions for discussion

What's the most Yea Forums craft to practice? I have a few initial suggestions for discussion.

1) Book binding is an obvious choice. You can create and bind your own books and even express your own interpretation of the aesthetic content of the work through its representation. The downside might be that it might not provide the necessary contrast to already being surrounded by books all the time, and might consequently lead to a form of sensory overload/attachment.

2) Woodworking. Woodworking and especially woodcarving can be highly technical, yet deeply aesthetic activities, while also serving a functional purpose. They are also easily accessible while being very in-depth: to master them takes many years. They provide an equilibrium to the mundane and physically inactive, yet mentally involved act of studying literature all day.

3) Tailoring. It is very similar to woodworking, but the medium is different. It is even more expressive in that you can represent your own aesthetic character through your clothing, but limited in the sense that you really cannot do much else than that. Besides that it also equally provides an equilibrium to literature.

Attached: om5ovnp9js831.jpg (900x1200, 247K)

how about writing

no!

Calligraphy. I paid $10 for a Udemy course. Took my handwriting from shit to bearable to look at in 2 weeks..

woodworking is fine.

i like engines personally. small blocks. old carburetted beasts that reek of gasoline where mixture and timing can be adjusted with a screwdriver.

In my post I assumed that one would engage in literary activity most of the time, so read and write, and that the craft would be more of a part-time deal, or complementary practice.

>especially woodcarving can be highly technical
Carving is the least technical but generally most aesthetic. I find wood work to complement literature well, but that may just be because they are the two things I spend most of my free time indulging in. Designing and making furniture is much like literature, it is a mixture of structure, proportion and aesthetics leveraged against each other to create the whole. If you are the sort that uses hand tools, you can listen to audio books as you work, most of it is quite quiet. Yesterday I enjoyed Infinite Jest while bringing down some walnut to thickness for the back and sides of a guitar. It was a very pleasant evening, the sound of the plane sliding over the wood and the blade slicing the wood's fibers with Gately's fever dreams playing out in the background.

Feel free to join us over at /wwg/

Seems I forgot how to link across boards
test:
>
full link, just in case.

I used to think engineering can be pretty Yea Forums, and then I read Ray Monk's biography of Wittgenstein and found out that Wittgenstein really didn't like engineering. Now I'm no longer sure what to make of it.

Engineering, or anything relating to modern technology in general, is an open question for me, because as an aesthetic practice it is deeply connected to the question of man in the contemporary age, and how he relates to both nature and technology.

Typesetting

Anime

These are not crafts

>not liking something because someone else didn't like it
>he's never going to experience troubleshooting an engine or making a broken vehicle run again
live your own life user

The reason it put me off was because of Wittgenstein's account of it. He regarded it to be highly mechanistic, devoid of ingenuity or aesthetic content, something which only industrialists could enjoy doing, mostly a profession that served no purpose but social prestige or money. The reason this had an impact on me is because I am very inspired by Wittgenstein's authenticity and truthfulness to life, and if he is right about engineering, I would definitely not enjoy it.

So what's this thread about? Us sharing our autistic hobbies? For me it's botany.

Well, as long as you believe they complement a lifestyle that is otherwise dominated by literature, yes. Botany sounds fun, user. Gives me mental images of alchemists and such.

in this regard wittgenstein is an idiot. in my view taking a long block, putting an intake and your choice of carb on it, lowering it into your own chassis that you paid for with your labor and likewise installing the clutch and linkages and wiring and making a favorite vehicle run again... it's an experience like no other. It's understanding some thing down to its smallest features and knowing what could go wrong before it does. It is smells and grimy touch and the pit of your stomach lagging behind. it is most definitely not devoid of ingenuity or aesthetics; those are practically the hallmarks of automotive engineering. it's not about money either. it's the feeling of having made something old new again, better than before, and its being good and useful and an expression of the self.

user, we can admire and respect people but they can still be wrong on some things. its okay.

Boat making or gardening

i live in an apartment so i can't really do anything with tools, but i have an interest in handheld wood carving. i've looked through the thread but don't see any beginner resources with hand carving specifically, am i missing something?

Regular wood working can be done in an apartment, did it for a few years in a ~400sf studio, unpowered hand tools keep the neighbors happy, regular breaks to clean up your shavings and dust keeps the mess contained. It is not ideal, but better than no wood working.'

As for carving, OP has a link to Chris Pye's site for chisel carving, do not think I have anything for chip carving and knife work in there yet, will need to do that in the next thread, we are still a young general, only on our fourth thread, the OP info is still being worked out. Just pop in and ask, we have a few carvers in there, check back every day, it 'a a slow thread, takes the better part of a month to hit that bump limit!

good stuff, thanks user.

I started teaching myself serious cooking and it's pretty fun. Anybody can follow instructions in a recipe but I'm genuinely trying to figure out why you do the things you do, how people came up with this, the traditions behind it, etc.
How did you start getting into botany? It seems like it'd be fun but I have no idea how to start, what I need, or any of that

Building a boat to sail the seas with while writing your magnum opus is peak Yea Forums, I have to admit.

Can you earn decent money with woodcarving?

Cooking, specially things like bread

Traditional painting
Lace making

Anything works really so long as one can use the craft to gain deeper insight on the nature of things, but personally I use weightlifting and MMA to do so. They craft both the body and mind as well as create this virtuous cycle where the physical and mental selves help develop each other. Take the /fitlit/ pill.

Music. Flow, suspense, climax, catharsis all you need is 3 chords, a scale and a cheap keyboard to get started

lens grinding, like Spinoza

>dies of lung disease

I spend maybe 10 hours a week on fitness. That's 2 hours over 5 days. Not really a lot to consider it a craft.

Jesus what a fucking boomer

>Yea Forums
>writing

Spinoza didn't want to grind lenses, he was forced into the occupation because he was Jewish.

I've done a lot of nude photography. Is that Yea Forums?

Attached: Derelict04.jpg (810x1100, 229K)

moar

Hard on a blue board. "Content that is safe for viewing in the average working environment" is pretty damn vague.

Attached: Redoubt 04e.jpg (872x1200, 184K)

So uhhh how willing are these artsy women to get naked in front of you? Or professionals only?
Asking for a friend.

Attached: a23c376be956e707159e53b8e6f5d45e.jpg (440x398, 29K)

How many of them do you fuck?
Shitloads of these "photographers" do risque photoshoots for supposedly artistic or modeling purposes and I always get the vibe that they jack off to them as soon as the girl leaves or coerce the model into sex

They were all friends, partners, girls I asked. I didn't pay anyone, I just showed them my work and they talked to former models.
Well, I've photographed almost every woman I've had sex with, but the shoots weren't about getting laid. I was trying to make some beautiful images.
Anyway, didn't mean to derail the thread.

Attached: rn04Q03.jpg (1000x739, 80K)

You retards are as bad as the instagram whores who spent 20 minutes arranging their breakfast for photoshoots.

If you put in the time to get good enough, sure. It is no different than anything else, develop the skill and people will find ways to use those skills and give you money for it.

Well, if you say so.

Attached: banner-meadowhair.jpg (851x315, 120K)

How doth this picture make you feel?

Attached: 9F91EBB8-3482-4A75-8203-3B18834316B4.png (600x598, 634K)

Meh. Niki Minaj is a surgery troll. No interest. I like real, normal women.

Attached: Scan-100923-0002-edit-sm.jpg (1100x724, 240K)

>How did you start getting into botany?
I am also interested.