What are some other examples of the Übermensch in anime? The only one I know of for sure is Kaiba from Yu-Gi-Oh!

What are some other examples of the Übermensch in anime? The only one I know of for sure is Kaiba from Yu-Gi-Oh!

Attached: tumblr_nl25scKBLn1uocugso1_500.png (500x375, 158K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rWt5WB7wtJ0
youtube.com/watch?v=YFeqYRuRwtY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There are no depictions of ubermensch in anime because characters like Kaiba are always defeated by the compassionate and Christlike protagonists

Kaiba eithet kills God or turns God into his servant all the fucking time though. His character arc isn't about beating the God Atem, it is about conquering his own hate and the extent of his own agency and self-determination.

Attached: AGiantCommercial.jpg (1929x2431, 3.18M)

Shinji from NGE. People think Ubermensche means some kind of Machiavellian athlete-scientist. Unironically, crybaby Shinji is the actual closest thing we have to an Ubermensche in fiction. He is the only character I am aware of who faced nihilism in a intimate personal confrontation, digested it, and then affirmed the world into being as a god-man.

Saiki from the anime Saiki kusuo no nan.

And also Gendo Ikari from Evangelion.

He rejects godhood though

Gendo was great, but still human, all too human. Shinji is unironically the Ubermensche, a crybaby Ubermensche who genuinely overcame his own humanity.

If he had rejected Godhood the whole world would have dissolved. The fact that the world exists at the end reflects his choice for godhood. But godhood in this case means also affirming limited human life. It's a paradox of sorts, but a real god would choose to be man, would choose limitation after tasting infinity.

I'm sorry but faced nihilism don't make you ubermensche according to Zarathoustra.

That’s interesting. We could interpret it as being akin to God’s decision to incarnate as Christ in abrahamic theology

He faced it and overcame it, and chose the world rather than the infinite beyond. He chose to "go under" like Zarathustra. He is the Ubermensche.

Wait... maybe you right.. Tell me more about that !

It's eerily similar, but somehow an inverted version of it. Since Christ seeks to lead men beyond, he seeks humble followers like the SEELE (they would represent Christians), but Shinji affirms limited human existence as such, not as a means of attaining Heaven

it's just a cartoon, you guys.

Although I do also need to add that it was Lilith who carried Shinji’s will out in instrumentality. Gendo reveals his vulnerability and dies after Lilith rejects him, and Lilith is essentially “Mother Nature in NGE” so idk if an ubermensch comparison can be made since shinji’s power over humanity depends entirely on nature choosing to serve him

>iT's JuSt A bOoK wItH wOrDs YoU gUyS

Attached: Guts.png (1024x609, 823K)

HE IS READING THE BOOK IN THE FUCKING SHOW WHY IS THIS IN A CARD GAME ANIME?

Attached: tumblr_lrzsmmzZQl1qlo3g4o1_1280.jpg (675x503, 27K)

Well nature, being feminine, naturally seeks the strong man, the great man to serve. The fact that nature chose Shinji shows that he is the Ubermensche imo. There seems to be some interesting parallels to Tantra here as well

What about the stuff like SEELE being associated with Kabbalist symbols and the leader of SEELE literally being a Nazi doctor (Konrad Lorenz=Keele Lorenz)? What about stuff like Shinji staring at the cross in his hand as he chooses to reject instrumentality? I’ll add that in that scene, he and Lilith/Rei are joined together. When he says he wants to impose individuality again, he pushes Rei off of him and you see them become individual human beings again. It recalls Christ’s statement that he came to divide people to me.
I agree with you that evangelion is against religious escapism and being lead “into the beyond,” but an idea I’ve been working with is that the Bible contradicts itself between advocating for individuality and connection between people to religious escapism by seeking an existence completely free of suffering. I think the truth lies in the former, and that if Christ came, that he advocated for the former as opposed to the latter, which has been added by people who either sought to deceive people or had the overly pessimistic worldview that everyone in NGE has prior to instrumentality. Anno didn’t know much about Christianity when he made NGE but had knowledge of Kabbalah myth and commented on the corrupted Buddhism of the aum shinrikyo, comparing them to anime fans. He did however read Kierkegaard and directly copies his philosophy at various points in NGE, and my understanding of the Kierk is that he advocates for the same conclusion that shinji comes to when rejecting instrumentality, and that this is the moral path — the one that Kierkegaard came to by studying Christianity extensively, while likely discarding stuff like “being lead into the beyond”

>If he had rejected Godhood the whole world would have dissolved
I think it only would have ceased to be observed, had he stayed in the soup. What he accepted was being separate from other people.

Well, yeah, that would be a different view of Christ than the one held by mainstream Christians. I like your view, but I was referencing the mainstream one. A lot of my views on this show were inspired by a book I recently read that had a chapter on NGE. He didn't directly state the things I'm saying exactly, but it suggests it if you follow that line of thought. I can post some screencaps if you want

anime fans have overstayed their welcome

>What he accepted was being separate from other people
Exactly. He affirmed individual limited existence, personal world-affirmation, even though he could have chose divine bliss and indistinction (the "soup" seems to be compare a lot to sexual union in the show, the bliss of losing your individuality in another person).

Screen caps would be great. Thanks for explaining everything you’ve spoken about so far to me user

Attached: F31BDBC9-027C-4026-AFFE-C7474B1D9475.jpg (927x1193, 546K)

Attached: 0675DF8C-4B68-4AC2-9289-DA6E4C75E4F8.jpg (974x1290, 559K)

Attached: 51C42ADE-4247-4C32-A8EF-91D518E7C238.jpg (970x970, 453K)

Reinhardt

Attached: 1494446559465.jpg (1920x1080, 187K)

Yeah it’s interesting, I think there’s commentary made on the desire to transition as well, there’s like half a second where after shinji imposes instrumentality he sees a bunch of Rei clones and then it switches to him seeing a bunch of clones of himself before he starts growing female genitalia. In addition there’s Gendo’s desire to unify and become one with his wife. I don’t think Anno is making a /pol/ tier commentary by calling out trans people, I think he moreso inadvertently depicts something that relates to the trend of “discord trannies” who literally advocate for instrumentality through acceleration towards transhumanism. I think he identifies more of a misplaced suicidality where men in these escapist cultures (most relevantly to NGE, anime fandom) suffer and feel lonely due to lacking affection from women, come to hate themselves because they feel they can’t be loved (see Gendo’s confession to Yui before he dies), and seek to supplant the self that can’t be loved with the self they idealize as perfect, which is the female self they envision as providing the nurturing and love that they need

Which book is this?

Prometheus and Atlas by Jason Reza Jorjani. It's pretty out there, deals with a lot of paranormal stuff which most people would probably find off putting, but I loved it. It was a really great read.

Yep this pretty much takes the cake. A pseudo who watched anime. Try to be less of a stereotype

Goku

Attached: 1ea906e274bfb6e88722138b3e36d9ab1384a95fv2_00.jpg (512x384, 58K)

It takes strength to resist the temptation of power.

>watching this show for the first time
>now I finally know where that "Guards, this women has lost her composure" reaction pic comes from

Attached: 1545610295091.jpg (636x592, 137K)

This is great; thanks for sharing. I'm a big fan of Sartre but I've never applied the concept of nausea to NGE though it seems to fit so well.
Might have to give the book a read.

Not who you were talking to, but I got memed into buying it. I've only finished reading the introduction and so far it sounds like Jorjani has interesting takes on science and technology. It's the sort of book girardfag would be joyfully interested in reading and discussing in a cosmotech thread.

I'm probably the one who memed you into buying. I'm trying to get people to read it so I have other anons to chat with about it. What thread made you want to read it?

Does he actually say all of that?

Yes, after blowing up a jet with a hologram of a gigatinc 3 headed white dragon

One of the esoterism generals, but I'm the kind of person who browsed /cosmotech/ generals and likes to read hot takes on philosophy of technology.

Dont hVe a picture, but that Sakamoto kun was as ubersmench as it can gets and never fell anything close to mercy just fairness

GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK

Is that Saiki anime good? I scroll past it on Netflix all the time.

Based.

youtube.com/watch?v=rWt5WB7wtJ0

Umaru

If you had actually read Thus Spoke Zarathustra, like Kaiba, you'd know that no living human being can be an Übermensch or portray one in art.

Kaiba is a man striving to "build himself a creator of values", which Nietzsche admires but is not 'becoming the Übermensch'.

It's explained in the first part of the book for fuck's sake.

Yeah, that was most likely me. I got them to add it to the reading list too

Fucking hell, Kaiba is such a capitalist Chad.

>Yea Forums
>/anime/

Not really. This is the kind of speech you can expect any tech CEO to give during a presentation of a new game console at E3.

This is absolutely retarded, babby’s first gnosticism

Attached: file.png (643x384, 307K)

Attached: codegeass-lelouchreading1.jpg (425x239, 66K)

is he the roman caesar with the soul of christ?

Attached: HomuraAkemi.jpg (1280x720, 90K)

>When people are born, their souls are housed in vessels known as flesh.
Is Kaiba a Gnostic?

Attached: 593bb26f70ec35e6ed538d679fcb72ec.png (248x400, 73K)

Where do you think you are?

I would suggest the guy with the Millennium Eye thing that made the cards. Kaiba's too obsessed with superiority at the expense of true power (and also stupid). Also maybe Joey.

The ubermensch is (at least to some degree, certainly in terms of inspiration) referring to a particular kind of person that appears every so often who can inspire those around him, two points of focus are Jesus of Nazareth (who- if the Gospels are to be believed- walked up to a bunch of "blue collar" fishermen, told them to follow him, and they just did) and Napoleon (escaped from that first island and within days got an army behind him and lead another set of attacks). From what I remember Joey is very much the social glue that holds the friends together and inspires them to keep going, and while he doesn't seem to immediately be talented at the cards is able to work until he becomes good.

A literature board, not a pseud facilitationry. There is little value in anime and the like when it comes to serious art and thought.

I don't think Zarathustra was actually an Ubermensch. In the book I think he's just a prophet that preaches about it.

baste
youtube.com/watch?v=YFeqYRuRwtY
The anime may not hold up the manga, but damn was it so kino bros.

Attached: Berserk-TICGN.jpg (1280x720, 415K)

Still on a website originally made for anime fans. The additions of other boards were meant for said anime fans to talk about other overlapping interests between themselves. None of them are overstaying their welcomeーthey're still at home. If you don't like the fact that this site foremost houses such people, then maybe you should go somewhere else that shares your sentiments.

He rejects godhood/instrumentality specifically because agreeing to it would mean the rejection of the concept of individual.

Akagi is the best depiction of the genius overman so far. The writing is so fucking genius I am surprised it didn't drop from some far away world... when I first discovered it at least it seemed like that.

Every second of the show (and manga) is genius. First, Akagi is obsessed with "meaningless death" that is the nature of gambling, but when decoding death as loss and meaningless as misdirected, you realize what he really craves for is the "misdirected exertion of energy", or, raw "power". He is essentially idolizing power in it's most common form: unpredictable change, or, the love of emergence.

Both this love of emergence and power is just really a love of the nature and fate of things, amor fati.

Akagi also is extremely virulent and independent, a psychological genius who has mastered empathy, holds a completely active- and unchangeable self-constructed morality, generous and giving because just by living he gives back, seeks the highest and most difficult challenge possible, views himself seperate from the masses who he looks down upon in contempt, has flawless analytic skills, is poetic with everything he says, becomes a leader in every situation without even desiring to be one, is influencing everything around him both directly and indirectly in different ways, realizes the reactive nature of weakness, realizes the symptoms of degeneration, exists independent of the mores of civilization, is not ruled by money or fame, and is misunderstood by everyone except by people similar to him (Washizu).

He holds intrinsic to himself Nietzsche's ideas on power, will, action and reaction, degeneration, morality, virulence, the pathos of distance, order of rank, amor fati, affirmation, etc.

All quotes on gambling and strategy are profound and make the art of war look like a mistake and an embarrassment.

Attached: Level.jpg (295x412, 47K)

Just "going under" doesn't make you an ubermensch lol.

It's an excellent reaffirmation of his Will to Power.

If you want the real answer, civilization synthesizes into the ubermensch.

It's a simulataneous overcoming and undergoing ;^)

Everyone works and goes under, "going under" just refers to the ebb. The flow, overcoming, comes after which is where people can propel themselves forward. This is just a part of living. To become the overman, you would need to suffer through the hardest "going under", an extremely large ebb, that will match the flow if you manage to survive. Clones will one day be manufactured, after people realize that being happy all the time is pointless and dangerous, to suffer as much as possible only so they can overcome that suffering. Then we will enter an era full of cloned supermen, and out of these men there will be inevitably a leader who is even more cruel, who propels the system forward again, etc. etc.

is a good example because Akagi is always risking his life and going under, but he risks his life so frequently that he doesn't even see it as going under anymore, as extreme risk is overcome and is just turned into an intense day in the life.