Are these basically the same book except from two different perspectives...

are these basically the same book except from two different perspectives? one from an atheist's perspective and the other from an occultist's perspective

Attached: imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-9yKYBwvC6esUuA7.jpg (632x500, 130K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hXPdpEJk78E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I heard Bertrand Russell is kind of a hack

no

No they're very different, the Hall is perennialist mystic/occult stuff from all around the world, the Russell is just some jackoff misinterpreting western philosophers

No, there is a big difference between esotericism/hermeticism/mysticism (note these aren’t synonyms but are related) which is what Hall’s work is about and philosophy, which is what Russell’s book is about. Also you shouldn’t read Russell, he blatantly misrepresents certain philosophers that he doesn’t like, and it sometimes seems that he hasn’t read the philosopher he is talking about.

I've heard this often, but why do so many people love Russell's book? Is it because they haven't read the philosophers he's talking about so they can't see he is misrepresenting them? Also, if Russell is like that, then how trustworthy can someone be when it comes to his own philosophy? I can't make myself take him seriously, especially when he looks like a massive fedora-tipper (the fedora-tippers quote him often, even).

>widely regarded expert has widely publicized essays about his own field
>anonymous teenager says he's actually wrong with absolutely nothing to back it up
>you side with the anonymous teenager for absolutely no reason

Why the fuck would you think that? I doubt Russell even goes into the Odinic rites and the cult of Mithra.

Attached: download (1).jpg (225x225, 5K)

Most actual critics have turned on russell, which in turn changed the opinion of random people online. The fact is, russels history of philosophy is a dishonest sham.

Bertrand's History got shat on hard by most people in the field, especially continentals who accused him of completely misunderstanding Hegel and Nietzsche

Russell is. Listen to his insufferable stupidity in a "debate" over the existence of God with the author of pic related. youtu.be/hXPdpEJk78E

Attached: 71GbSW6EYeL.jpg (1280x772, 153K)

It's a really bad book especially when there are many better books/series on the matter. I'm guessing it's because it's most widely available, cheap, and popularised by nu-atheists.

copleston praised russell's history of western philosophy though

I assume all of these anti-russell people are nietzsche fags

YES! Both are merely different treaties on the influence of Plato.

i doubt anyone can make out what they are saying because the audio is so terrible

it's either nietzsche fags or copleton fags(religious fags) who hate russell

ston*

theyre definitely equally shit

After reading a history of philosophy book you realize how dumb some philosophers were and it gives you a confidence boast

Attached: maxresdefault (4).jpg (1280x720, 242K)

No. One's written by a initiate of the highest order who amassed a perhaps unrivaled occult library and the other is written by a Jewified Anglo.

He is.

>appeal to authority
>ignoring that academic circles can be driven by fads rather than actual merit
Kill yourself.

My laptop has shitty speakers and I can hear it just fine.

Aka eurocentric anglocuck trash

>Asking the question "what is the cause of existence" is not a valid question because I don't care
So this, is the power, of nu-atheism.

Yeah he fucking sucks.

I can give a specific example, the chapter on Nietzsche is clearly a misunderstanding or deliberate misrepresentation of him. And I don’t even like Nietzsche either.

Russell and Copleston aren’t even in the same league, Russell writes a few cursory sentences about a few major philosophers, Copleston covers every period and school in detail.

LW on Russell - from ray Monk biography

Attached: 4C22B83A-C58F-4190-BF2C-F1CA38589446.jpg (744x855, 571K)

He's nothing but a bum and a sucker.

>a initiate of the highest order who amassed a perhaps unrivaled occult library
I don't believe he was an initiate at the time of writing.

probably to be polite.