Skipping the Greeks

Can I skip the Greeks and go straight to the Romans’?

Will I still be able to move on to other later philosophers?

Attached: A514B7AF-A617-4196-9BE7-C33BF5C4744B.gif (500x273, 152K)

Other urls found in this thread:

plato-dialogues.org/tetralog.htm).
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No.

Attached: C59B1023-AA1D-4DA7-A1A3-86E7B6F6BB04.jpg (1024x768, 173K)

The Roman philosophers? You mean those guys who just continued Greek philosophy? Oh yea, that's a smart idea.

No explanation, instantly discredited.

I’ve been recommended Epictetus but don’t want to miss out

Starting with the Greeks is not a meme. Every head of every Philosophy department will tell you it's very much worth your time, and any of the heavy hitters you plan on reading later (Descartes, Kant, Hegel etc) are going to make reference to them, and use their vocabulary. Don't be the guy who has no idea what references they are making and to whom.

Does this include Homer? Or am I okay to start with Plato etc?

Romans are just a cheap Greek knockoff.

>keeps trying to cut corners
Never gonna make it.

I will never tell someone not to read Homer, but he usually isn't regarded as foundational to the discourse of philosophy (broadly speaking anyway).That being said, Plato does bring him up, and had a love/hate relationship with him. Just something to keep in mind.

I would start by reading the Presocratics (Heraclitus and Parmenides especially), and then maybe check out Platos Dialogues (this is a pretty agreeable chart for reading order plato-dialogues.org/tetralog.htm). If you want extra credit for understanding Socrates, check Xenophon's Memoirs. Epictetus was a huge fan of the guy, so if you're planning on reading him then you'll want a healthy serving of Socrates.

When I said "maybe check out Plato's dialogues" I didn't mean to imply it as optional lol

Plato - The Republic
Plato - Symposium
Plato - The last days of Socrates
Xenophon - Conversations of Socrates
Aristotle - Poetics
Aristotle - The Politics
Aristotle - The Nicomachean Ethics
Epicurus - The Art of Happiness

Anything I’m missing out of this list? I don’t want to start too far ahead

I would definitely add the Phaedrus, Lysis, Meno & Ion for Plato. They aren't terribly long, and the Phaedrus accompanies the Symposium very nicely. Just make sure you save the Republic for last out of the ones you have assembled. Aristotle's Poetics is great, but if you aren't reading epic poetry or tragedy it might not make a big imprint on you. Maybe swap it out for the Eudemian Ethics or something. The anecdotes of Diogenes are also good light reading if you want to see more of the antecedents of Stoicism and Epictetus.

Also, don't sleep on the Presocratics! the Oxford Worlds Classics "The First Philosophers" is a nice collection of their works with exposition on it (only a handful of them have surviving writings). If nothing else, read the Fragments of Heraclitus (this is something you can do online within 30 minutes or so. They're great fun, and you'll get a lot of mileage out of em if you return to them periodically.

Skip the Greeks AND the Romans. Start with Hollywood.

Absolutely not. The real reason to start with the Greeks is because you're not supposed to move past them. It may very well be said that philosophy simply isn't a thing after the Greeks.

Genuinely helpful posts, thanks man

I don’t understand this post at all

Happy to help! I hope you find what you're looking for from philosophy.

There is no philosophy after the Greeks.

Important philosophers
Socrates (Aristotlex, Plato)
Jesus (Paul, John the Evangelist)
Aquinas (he isn't right about everything)
Boyle, Bacon
Lovecraft, Hitler

Whaargarbl
Kant
Marx
Neetch
Popper, Whitehead, Derrida, anyone the 20th century likes from the 20th century

>Neetch
What's with everyone who isn't german calling him that? Wouldn't neetsch be more accurate?

>Can I skip the Greeks and go straight to the Romans’?
no you will die instantly

Do not fucking reading the Republic first, jesus christ

Omg i love peppa pig

>Can I count to ten successfully but also skip 1, 2, and 3?
No.