What is your excuse for not reading the most informative book ever written?

What is your excuse for not reading the most informative book ever written?

Attached: download.jpg (180x280, 9K)

language is descriptive and reading the dictionary cover-to-cover will only make you sound even more autistic than you already do. that is, if you retain even half of the information therein, which you won’t.

language is evil

Even fucking Eminem reads the dictionary everyday, faggot. Don't be a progressive pseud.

>which you wont

Maybe if you're a brainlet. Also you can safely skip all the genera of plants and animals along with the proper nouns for inhabitants of various areas. You also don't have to read most of it. At any rate, I've read and retained 500 words so far. If anything my brain is becoming better at learning new words quickly, not the other way around. A brain doesn't work like a computer memory where you just run out of space and things start getting overwritten.

>Reading the dictionary the sound smurt
Pseud

>eminem
>not a pseud
i still think that it’s a waste of time when you could just read other books and use the dictionary as a resource to check the words you don’t know. but if this works for you go for it.

>Not reading anything and trying not to sound dumb in spite of this

pseudointellectual

this is the objectively correct, smoothest-brain take

>not a pseud
That's why I said even

>Claims to read the dictionary
>Does not use any advanced lingo in his post
Lying pseud detected

>he often comes accross words he doesn't know while reading books

I read the entire Bible and maybe learned 3 words from it.

>Does not use any advanced lingo in his post

Wouldn't that make me a pseud instead? If I went out of my way to shoehorn the words into conversations, instead of utilizing them in my writing where they could find their best expression. At any rate it would amount to quite a BUMPTIOUS display I should think

>citing a dictionary when you could cite an encyclopedia instead

I must politely but firmly disagree with your assertion that a dictionary (granted, the best English dictionary that I know of) is better than an encyclopedia, on the grounds of "muh fee fees". Good day, fine sir.

Attached: out.jpg (400x320, 22K)

the encyclopedia is full of prose. You can learn a lot more by reading a lot less from the dictionary. Also further research is of course recommended on certain subjects. Like today I just looked up was a Brachistochrone was. I didn't get very far but at least I get what it is now.

it's a waste of time building a vocabulary beyond that of your peers. people are more easily persuaded by conciseness than obscure words, it's why they love citing quotations so much more than complete essays.

Yeah, maybe if you don't write, either rhetoric, fiction or poetry. By the time I learn all the outstanding words in the dictionary and complete my vocabulary, I'll finally be able to finish my poem created from slowly morphing sets of phonemes. So far all I have is "In an interstice an internecine altercation alters agents in an aegis".

It could be fun. I once tried to read some pages of dictionary. It's fun to see how words I took for granted have other meanings and connections and they all made sense now.
But ultimately my anxiety kicked in and I dropped it. Because I worried about reading it alphabetically would make me waste my time on non-essential words and make fake connections, but I am too lazy to read a dictionary in non alphabetical order.

> It's fun to see how words I took for granted have other meanings and connections and they all made sense now.

Yeah, I really regret not taking this into consideration until I was almost at the end of the "A's". Here are some examples.

Boon: A favored thing
Bore: A high tidal wave
Bouquet: A compliment
Brace: a pair
Brand: a sword
Brash: debris from rock and ice
Brash: discharge of stomach acid
Bravo: a criminal
Breast: contend with
Browse: To feed on
Burn: a small river
Burr: a whetstone

only poetry benefits from cautious diction, depending on the aim of the poet. in rhetoric and fiction the last thing you want to do is jar the audience's attention loose with unnatural language.

>Also you can safely skip all the genera of plants and animals along with the proper nouns for inhabitants of various areas.
That's interesting. I recently saw a movie called The Professor and Madman starring Mel Gibson and that girl from Game of the Thrones. It was about a Scottish professor in charge of making Oxford English Dictionary.
He also talked about "leaving names of places such as Africa and America" out of the dictionary and "trace the evolution of the word Art in English."

My question is, did they really have a theory about this? How can they be sure that the evolution of the word Art isn't affected by the word America?

T. Never read anything about it. Only saw the movie.

Actually rhetoric is its own discipline with its own jargon. If you want strong rhetoric, you'll try to use words like aporia and A Fortiori which are associated with it.

the bible doesn’t contain a great deal of difficult diction, it’s just (usually) written in a historical dialect, which turns away only the smoothest of brains. pseuds like you and me have been reading it for centuries without many issues bud

Okay, well I was merely thinking in terms of word-volume and obscurity of old English. But I must say, I've never come accross any other particular book that taught me more than a couple words. In short, I am saying reading books and hoping to find new words is a very inefficient method compared to browsing the dictionary and this should be obvious. If you have an express interest in learning new words then read the dictionary, simple as that.

>He needs to “shoehorn” in anything higher than a 5th grade reading level vocabulary
Ultrapseud detected

You're literally arguing with yourself at this point. At least its amusing.

lol, of course aporia and argumentum a fortiori can be useful rhetorical strategies, but i don't know if i would ever use the words "aporia" and "a fortiori" directly. in reality, argumentum a fortiori lends itself to more fallacies than conclusions, and aporia belongs in theater more than debate.

Um, no sweaty, what I write mirrors my internal train of thought. The way in which I write is the way in which I think, but try again, my dear pseud

>talks like pseud
>n-n-no, you're the pseud

At any rate, can the entire board just make a clean breast of being pseuds at this point? Nobody on this board is not a pseud, no not a one. And being a pseud on Yea Forums should be considered entirely unremarkable. We're all here to show off our fancy book-learning. Let's just admit it already.

Attached: download.png (289x175, 6K)

It seems to me your diagnosis should not be one of being a pseud, but instead one of being an incel. May I invite a seething incel such as yourself into more useful endeavors such as having sex perhaps? You won’t desire me to read the dictionary cover to cover afterwards to collect vocabulary to use against adversaries on the Mongolian pizza delivery forum anymore.