What's he thinking about, fellas? What was going through his mind right as this photo was taken?

What's he thinking about, fellas? What was going through his mind right as this photo was taken?

Attached: Nietzsche_1882-59d83beeaad52b0010eb91cc.jpg (768x1025, 115K)

"God damn OP is a faggot"

/thread

Is there a recommended secondary source that "breaks down" and "explains" Nietzsche's philosophy by book?

Aka, Chapter 1: what Nietzsche was saying in Beyond Good and Evil

Also is it possible to just dive into Nietzsche without a strong background in philosophy? Some of his stuff seems to be critical of previous stuff, so would it be difficult to really understand what he's saying without understanding the stuff he's referring to and/or criticizing?

Also which book to start with? A lot of recommendations seem to say either Genelogoy of Morality or BGE.

The Will To Power in it's original ENglish transl.

No thanks. Wasn't completed before his death. Also his sister.

Not saying there isn't value in Will to Power, but not as one of his first (or first few) books of his to read.

>will people notice my facial hair?

His sister did most of the work together with one of his friends and did a good one at placing the notes together from start to finish.
Most current editors have looked at the original notes and even verified for themselves if they have been twisted or not.
Also the work is to cover all of his philosophy and it does well.

But, like i told many fags before, first read Stirner's book The Ego and His Own if you want to really get a touch of his core ideas then i suggest reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra since you there can see more clearly what he adds to the table.

If you want help in explaining the books chapter by chapter then go to sparknotes or some shit like that. But they will only explain you the general idea of it most of the time so it will be up to you to crack down his more refined prespectives, also keep in mind that those notes will most of the time run away from any controversial political and moral points and stick to more secondary but also valid ones, since they have got to keep the shit appealing to the masses. Kaufmann is the one more famous for this since he wanted to sell his works without risking dumb fucks linking it to nazi germany.

Philosophy isn't the same as other subjects like physics or math. It's much more complex. Any 3rd party interpretation is that, an interpretation. You can't know the philosophy without reading the philosopher; they're linked.

I hate this pseud but he had a great mustache

Yeah, but was thinking it would be helpful to at least provide a framework and basic understanding to make it easier to digest the primary source itself.

Kinda like a having a teacher and reading the textbook. But instead it's just two textbooks.

TFW I RECONCILED NIETZSCHE WITH CHRISTIANITY

the bible™

fpbp

Cultural christians like Peterson already have (or claimed to).

>i want to ride that horse

>a framework and basic understanding
literally philosophy

You see the problem inherent in this field I hope

I actually don't. Not being cheeky. Just a dumb sack of shit.

Can you expand some more about inherent problems of the field of philosophy?

>What was going through his mind right as this photo was taken?
Well he was insane by this point, so probably something about horses.

a framework of understanding a certain philosopher will always itself be philosophy. Philosophy is the ground of knowledge, everything else stands on it, it is the ultimate conceptions we use to create all other conceptions.

The process of trying to reach the right philosophy is like drowning at sea and grasping at bits of wood that you think will put you above the surface, but you are never really sure, even when you find some lifeboat, except when religion or madness animates your mind to make you believe completely you have the answer.

>Chapter 1: what Nietzsche was saying in Beyond Good and Evil
He kinda did that himself in Ecce Homo but that's probably not what you meant.

>Kaufmann .... wanted to sell his works
You can tell he really did when every ten notes says "read more about this in my Nietzsche biography!!"

"Wish I was in my sister instead" probably.

The photograph thus likely depicts that however Über, at the end of the day you are still Mensch, and, as thus, possess Completely Normal and Unconditionally Relatable bodily needs. He seems to be downright ravaging it in his mind's eye, judging from the picture, too. What a unit.

Hello I’m not the other user you were conversing with, but I do have a secondary source on Nietzsche that I recommend. It is called, “The Philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche,” and it is by H.L. Mencken, a famous American journalist and critic. Though he was only a journalist, he was quite intelligent and the book offers a very balanced interpretation of Nietzsche. I have read most of his work aside from The Will to Power and I can vouch that Mencken gets it right, though as another user in the thread mentioned, you never really “get” a philosopher’s ideas until you read the primary texts.

As to reading Nietzsche himself, I recommend starting with Genealogy, then Beyond Good and Evil, then proceed to the smaller works. Conclude with Zarathustra. I don’t recommend starting with Zarathustra.

cringe