What's the best, least censored English version of this book?

What's the best, least censored English version of this book?

Attached: 830605._SY475_.jpg (297x475, 39K)

It's not censored it's edited by the author.

Reeee about it all you want but there's a significant difference.

This.
Talk about the book or stop lying about it to shill your political position.

The earlier edition you can get the better. As he got older and more disconnected from the actual events, Junger released subsequent editions that were changed for political reasons. The first edition is the best because it is the freshest iteration of his memoirs and was written and edited closest to the actual events.

>it's edited by the author.
I did not know that. I keep hearing how it's censored by people on this board.

just learn german

This is false, and a discredit to Junger. The early 'nationalist version' available was also edited 'for political reasons' and Junger wasn't a simpleton or political hack. The reasons for editing were precisely to focus on the war rather than the political situation.
It is essentially a book about the form of WWI and digressions into politics or nationalist sentiment would only distract from the book's main task.

The early version was edited with essentially the same mindset he held at the time of the actual events. If you don't see the inherent value in that then you're an absolute fucking retard. I didn't call Junger a political hack. He was a very political person in the pre-war era and is considered one of the leading thinkers of the conservative revolutionary movement. His politics evolved over time and the mindset he held during the war is better captured the earlier you go. It's not a "distraction", it's what makes the book so exceptional compared to most other books on WW1.

>self-censorship is not censorship

There's an enormous difference between the implied "those purple-haired SJW publishers made brave Junger change his book!" of "censorship" and the reality of Junger himself aging and reflecting on the war over time

Whatever. edited versions are soulless, that's all that matters.

Read the Hofmann version. He's an excellent writer and translator (which he'd tell you himself)

You should read the versions that most people read for decades, and that made him famous to begin with, not a self-censored one from half a century later. Read both if you want, but read the earlier translations first.

What are you implying that he censored?

Do we really need to go over who the 'fucking idiots' are again?
>At the core of it, man is propelled by biological drives and functions, all of your wants, needs, and desires are illusions that arose to increase your fitness. We evolved in the context of groups and group conflict, the acquisition of technology only amplified and exacerbated the darwinian characteristics that are perennial for all living thing. As long as we're still under the pressures of natural selection, the principles of competitive exclusion and zero-sum game theory are applicable. Industrialization has only enlarged these conflicts, it didn't create them. At the very barebones minimum, conflict is MATERIALLY driven
Why the fuck would anyone take a biological determinist's opinion on Junger?
Discuss Junger's writing or go away. Don't reduce him to a tool for your pathetic philosophy, it's no better than the SJWs who made the gay musical version of SoS.

Who are you quoting?

You could also compile the passages that were removed in the later version. Or better still, show both what was added into the nationalist version and then what was removed later on.
Make it a project and convince us that the Creighton version is best.
But even then, you are going against what the author himself thought was best. And editing is no easy task, so you will have to convince us that your vision of the war is superior to Junger's.

One of the 'two' Creightonfags who keeps spamming these threads.

I want what the author himself thought best at the time, not what he thought best about the events 30 years later.

No idea who Creighton is I just think the whole novelty of the book is that it's a real take of his feelings at the time of it happening, looking at it through a decades-old lens is not novel.

OP here. I can't even find the proper old version, seems like it's not even for sale anymore, I only found a shitty pdf scan of the book.
I don't know, I haven' read it yet.

So why are you implying that he self-censored?

>he prefers the translation where even the title is wrong
Clean your room, schizo.

Attached: creightonfag.jpg (3072x4096, 2.86M)

Would you like to point out the errors? Or are you going to make me do it?
Creighton
>The train stopped at Bazancourt, a small town in Champagne, and there we got out. With unbelievable awe we listened to the slow pulsation of the machinery of the front, a tune to which long years were to accustom us. Far away the white ball of a shrapnel shell melted into the grey December sky. The breath of the war passed by us with its peculiar horror. Did we imagine that nearly every one of us would be swallowed up in the days when that dull muttering over there broke out into unceasing thunder . . . one earlier, another later ?

Hofmann
>The train stopped at Bazancourt, a small town in Champagne, and we got out. Full of awe and incredulity, we listened to the slow grinding pulse of the front, a rhythm we were to become mightily familiar with over the years. The white ball of a shrapnel shell melted far off, suffusing the grey December sky. The breath of battle blew across to us, and we shuddered. Did we sense that almost all of us - some sooner, some later - were to be consumed by it, on days when the dark grumbling yonder would crash over our heads like an incessant thunder?

I'm just assuming it. what makes you think he didn't? it's a possibility.

lmao why would you assume he self-censored?

I think that was the impression I had when I was reading about him or someone told me that, I don't remember exactly.

Not the guy you replied to, but Hofmann takes apart Creighton's translation in the Translator's Note of his book.

just learn german

the original version has never been printed in English afaik.
There is only the midwar edit and the later midwar edit

>the author can be wrong about the title of his book
Retard

This has nothing to do with the point I made and I believe you're intentionally avoiding it because I am right.

I read it in swedish

Attached: 2457245123.png (700x450, 41K)

Creighton's the author?

No, but "The Storm of Steel" is a faulty translation however you put it. The original title is more like "In the Storm of Steel"
However. English is a rather unpoetical and ugly language, there will never be a good translation of that title.