>Spain
Cervantes
>Portugal
Pessoa
>Italy
Dante
>France
????

Attached: 951793AE-8FF3-47FB-A840-C83884128D62.jpg (910x752, 357K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lāčplēsis
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainis
youtube.com/watch?v=e5tEoIrXK6o1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_German_settlement_in_Central_and_Eastern_Europe
youtube.com/watch?v=epb5HCZNBZQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Balzac

Rabelais.

Attached: Francois_Rabelais_-_Portrait.jpg (1574x1947, 544K)

Molière, but he's not that known outside of the francosphere.

Lautréamont

Victor Hugo

Either of these.

Racine

Thoroughly based

>Romania
???
>Latvia
???
>Lithuania
???
>Czechia
???
>Estonia
???
>Sweden
???
>Montenegro
???
>Lichtenstein
???
>Luxembourg
???
>Serbia
???
>Croatia
???
>Finland
???
>Iceland
???
>Andorra
???
>Hungary
???
>Belarus
???

Cervant-es
Pesso-a
Dant-e
Dum-as

Attached: 332.jpg (680x680, 38K)

Hollaback

Latvia has the Bear Slayer poem written by an unknown author. Not sure about the rest of their literary field though.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lāčplēsis

My mistake it actually did have an author. Thought it was one of those Anonymous epic poems.

Finland
Tove Jansson

this

Montaigne

u wot? I'm from Hungary and I thought Tartuffe was compulsory reading in almost all high schools of Europe.

Huehehuhe

>Latvia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainis

>Hungary

Madách?

Proust

This.

cringe. Nowhere near the same league.

retard

>Verne
>Moliere
>This guy

>Czechia
Karel Hynek Mácha, brainlet.

Hes from uruguay

Eeee...eeeem...aaaam..aamm eeeem. That's a fookin tough one eh?

>Spain
Cervantes
>Portugal
Camões
>Italy
Dante
>France
Rimbaud
>Germany
Goethe
>USA
????
>Argentina
Borges
>Japan
????
>China
????
>Ireland
Joyce
>England
Shakespeare
>Russia
Tolstoi

Feel free to complete, add on.

>USA
Melville

>Uruguay
Onetti

>Czech republic
Kafka

>Mexico
Rulfo

>Austria
????

>Brazil
Guimarães Rosa
>Colombia
Garcia Marquez
>Canada
????
>Sweden
????

Baudelaire> Mallarmé > Rimbaud

Disappointing thread. Deadlock between Montaigne, Proust, and Flaubert.

What about Kapek for Czech? He's lesser known than Kafka. Austria could be Musil or Zweig.

>>Uruguay
>Onetti
Funny way to spell HORACIO "BASED" QUIROGA

>Proust

This is the correct answer.

Attached: 1559350545140.webm (640x800, 2.74M)

>England
Shakespeare

>Scotland
???

>Wales
???

>Northern Ireland
???

>Scotland
Robert Louis Stevenson

>Mongolia
????

>Switzerland
???

>Mongolia
Ching Chong

>Ethiopia
??

>Zimbabwe
?????????

more like ballsack

Attached: c84.gif (600x580, 436K)

Yes, but he has french nationality and wrote his texts in french

>not robert burns

>France
Sade

With France it's not as easy because unlike those other countries they have countless great authors. Their literary output vastly exceeds that of all other countries'.

meh

Hell fucking yeah

>USA
Kerouac

Romania
Mihai Eminescu

>USA
Whitman is the only choice.

I’d agree, actually. Which surprises me because I rate him more as a wrecking ball than a proper author, but I can’t think of anyone who hits as deeply or effectively as him.

?? Not at all. They don’t have a novelist that bests Tolstoy or Dickens, they don’t have a poet or playwright that bests Shakespeare, they don’t have a short story writer that bests Chekhov, and they don’t make up for it in greater depth either, if that’s your argument. For every French writer you name I can name one of equivalent or more likely (by wide consensus) superior writer from England, Russia or America.

Truly the iconic writer of france and the true embodiment of its cultural history.

>bear slayer
Very indo-european

>GERMANY!!!
???

youtube.com/watch?v=e5tEoIrXK6o1

Attached: Germania.png (858x627, 746K)

Point is that your "naming one" would start recycling names relatively quickly or you'd run out.

um sweaty who are the authors mentionned in this thread ? Try and tell me Rabelais, Proust, Flaubert, Balzac, Verne haven't been as influential as the authors you just named. Also the Arthurian legends as they are known today were shaped by French authors. Before Chrétien de Troyes and Robert de Boron it was just some pagan shit and they added all the relevant stuff (chivalry and the quest of the Grail). Also Charles Perrault is as important as the Grimm brothers or Andersen. Also Céline is undeniably in the top 10 novelists of the 20th century.

kek has anything relevant other than Pessoa and Cervantes ever come out of the iberian peninsula?

>His name is literally dumbass

Hey you... yes you. Who is Germany's greatest man? Not just poet.

Wait kafka was not German ?

Camoes is the national author of Portugal
Racine is the national author of France

German-speaking jew, fairly common along with other German speakers in all of central and eastern Europe before they were deported back to Germany. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_German_settlement_in_Central_and_Eastern_Europe
Literal invading pests, thank the Lord for the Communists

>Sweden
Strindberg

We have too much

also Molière, Corneille, Racine, La Fontaine

bumpan for lulz

>Lichtenstein
Lichtenstein is just Switzerland without it actually being Switzerland, so Dürrenmatt or Frisch

>Austria
Schnitzler

>Switzerland
Dürrenmatt

>Germany
Schiller of course

Attached: physiker.jpg (313x500, 29K)

checked

Attached: st.jpg (293x293, 26K)

baguette

Attached: 1559062991314.jpg (744x752, 72K)

World renown that even a brainlet should have heard of:
Camões,
Saramago,
Garcia Lorca
Additionally there are hundreds of exceptionally good writers from the Iberian peninsula that the average anglo won't know because the anglocentric virus is a deadly disease.

quel genre d'abruti écrit des postes comme ça? pessoa à coté de dante? tu connais la chronologie abruti?

bordel même les shitpost ont aucun niveau

Why does french sound so pretentious. Even the most shitposty of baits sounds like a formal letter to a lawyer written by Voltaire.
Imagine writing something like:
"If you please, go feast on some feces and perish" instead of "Please eat shit and die".
That's french.

Los autores lusofonos medievales no son conocidos fuera de Portugal y Garcia Lorca es un poeta muy menor. Tienes mas? Los autores sudamericanos son mejores y mas conocidos que los de iberia, kek, imagìnate ser menos importante que tus colonias!

tu parles de l'OP? Oui c'est un peu mauvais comme appât mais il fallait bien trouver un nom portugais qui soit vaguement connu, non?

Why does english sound so unself-counscious like a mutt dog? Even in the most delicate sentence seeps out the mongrelhood of the language. Imagine not being able to write a sentence without both germanic and romance words.

>Tienes mas?
I'm pretty sure whatever I say won't meet your standards so this feels like a pointless exercise. Why don't you just tell us your favorite English authors and let us judge you, your holiness?

>Imagine not being able to write a sentence without both germanic and romance words.
I don't disagree with you. Where french is pompous, English is a mishmash.

Sorry user, it was mostly silly funposting, I know there is good Spanish and Portuguese literature, it's just less known, just like there is great and underrated scandinavian lit. I don't have very original or even good taste in fiction, I'm still discovering the classics. The last book I read in english must have been Black Spring by Miller (so sub-par that I've never seen him mentioned on this board) a few months ago, and in spanish a short story by Sepulveda last year, I've been reading mainly nonfiction in french lately
/blog

Samuel Beckett, leave it up to the English to write the greatest french novel.

“Every Frenchman is born, or at least early on becomes, Cartesian or Pascalian. (Something similar could be said about Shakespeare as educator of the English, Goethe of the Germans, and Dante and Machiavelli of the Italians.) Descartes and Pascal are national authors, and they tell the French people what their alternatives are, and afford a peculiar and powerful perspective on life’s perennial problems. They weave the fabric of souls. On my last trip to France I heard a waiter call one of his fellow waiters “a Cartesian.” It was not pretentiousness; he was just referring to what was for him a type. It is not so much that the French get principles from these sources; rather they produce a cast of mind. Descartes and Pascal represent a choice between reason and revelation, science and piety, the choice from which everything else follows. One or the other of these total visions almost always presents itself to the minds of Frenchmen when they think about themselves and their problems. These great opponents whom no synthesis can unite—the opposition between bon sens and faith against all odds—set in motion a dualism that we recognize when we speak both of French clarity and of French passion. No country has had such a persistent and irreconcilable quarrel between the secular and the religious as France, where the two parties find no common ground, where the aspirations of citizens who share the same country have such different senses about the meaning of life. Shakespeare provided a mediation of these two poles for the English, but no one succeeded in doing it for the French, although Rousseau, a Swiss, made a noble attempt. Both Enlightenment and Catholic thought have found their special home in France for more than three centuries. Descartes and Pascal gave accounts for the French of the West’s common faith, Christianity, and at the same time situated them with respect to that other, more distant, source of inspiration, Greece. The succeeding generations of writers who began from the Descartes-Pascal tension developed and varied their themes, and the essential spiritual experiences are repeated in Voltaire, Montesquieu, Constant, Balzac and Zola, on the one hand, and Malebranche, Chateaubriand, De Maistre, Baudelaire, Proust and Céline, on the other, each aware of the others and carrying on a dialogue with or confronting his opposite number.

>Spain
Cervantes
>Portugal
Camoes
>Italy
Dante
>France
Montaigne
>Germany
Goethe
>America
Emerson
>England
Johnson
>Japan
Soseki
>China
Lao Tzu

Imagine not choosing Goethe. Also there is one intruder in the pic name him.

How could one man be so based? Reading him has made me a more charismatic, happy person.

>Serbia
Ivo Andrić or Meša Selimović

literally who?

Probably me

>le French wuiwui xD

Face it, France fucking sucks. Your literature, culture, language. It’s all shit. Cope.

>Try and tell me Rabelais, Proust, Flaubert, Balzac, Verne haven't been as influential as the authors you just named
... Correct, none of those writers are on the level of Tolstoy, Dickens, Shakespeare, or Chekhov. And those were just a couple names to begin with, the point is you’d have to get quite far down the list before those French writers you name could match up.
Also curious that you list Rabelais and Verne instead of Hugo, de Sade, Montaigne, etc. I could make your own argument better than you, which I don’t point out to flex on you, but to show you that I know what I’m talking about and you don’t. Bend the knee.
>Also Céline is undeniably in the top 10 novelists of the 20th century.
Very deniable and laughably bad take.

Listen, France is undoubtedly top 3, behind English (1) and Russia (2). I’m not trashing France. But your argument was that France is far and away the best and has no equal, which is laughable.

pédéraste de malheur

youtube.com/watch?v=epb5HCZNBZQ

This nigga right here

Attached: chateaubriand_1050x700.jpg (1050x700, 600K)

literally who?

Camus

Attached: 5159D1EE-9592-4DBE-A306-54E6AA2183BD.jpg (750x838, 112K)