1. What do you think is Shakespeare's best play?

1. What do you think is Shakespeare's best play?

2. What is your favorite Shakespeare play?

I'm curious to see how everyone answers this, because I don't think the answers to the two questions need to be the same. As for me, I think either Hamlet or Lear is Shakespeare's most excellent play. But if you ask me to pick what I personally enjoy the most, it's going to be either Julius Caesar or A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Attached: shakespeare-finaljpg.jpg (1200x974, 241K)

1. King Lear

2. Othello or Hamlet

Attached: othello-and-desdemona-daniel-maclise.jpg (900x745, 163K)

Niggas in them times really rocked the ear bling huh

1. King Lear is pure pathos, but Hamlet essentially creates its own universe and does a number of things Shakespeare himself it seems couldn't even replicate

2. Richard III. Very well constructed play and that tickles my autism

Why do you strike me as a cuck

1. Measure for Measure
2. Measure for Measure

>Not Love's Labour's Lost for both

I’ve just gotten around to Shakespeare, in Act 3 of Hamlet and he’s already surpassed Tolstoy for me as the GOAT. So excited to have his whole ouvre ahead of me.

My favs are probably Henry iv, Henry vi, LLL, AWTEW, and 12th Night. Ask Harold Bloom what his best is, I really wouldn't care to figure that one out...

>Ask Harold Bloom what his best is
It’s not a mystery, he’d say Hamlet. He’s said Hamlet is the best work of Western literature ever, not just for Shakespeare.

Yeah, true now that you mention it, but he also really loves Henry iv, esp. the character of Falstaff.

1. Hamlet
2. Macbeth

This. I can't imagine being an Anglofag and being spoiled every Shakespeare play ever lmao reading him is simply delicious. Also, I haven't read Tolstoy so I can't say who's better, but Shakes def reaches very high highs.

pseud

Can anyone suggest me the best edition of Shakespeare’s complete works? The Barnes and Noble collectible looks absolute ass and Amazon search yields shockingly little. I don’t need anything fancy, literally just a good solid volume of Shakespeare.

the Norton one

or Oxford one, if you're going for something cheap, mate.

Attached: nothing wrong with this.jpg (423x600, 55K)

Actually found this Pelican lookin ass edition, will probably go with it.

This blacked propaganda piece disqualifies Shakespeare as the GOAT, among other things.

Shakespeare was a pirate

Here’s another example, Walter Raleigh
I am inspired

Attached: CD19042A-D5F6-494E-B3EB-0F052FFB5152.jpg (1280x1577, 378K)

it's just a play, whiteboi

Attached: kek.jpg (1200x627, 209K)

I'm not a whiteboi and that guy is a Sub-Saharan nigger. Othello is a Moor.

>that guy is a Sub-Saharan nigger. Othella is a Moor.
Hardly matters. A nigger is a nigger and it’s just as reprehensible.

The Moors were black, grow up bigot

Attached: badass Othello.jpg (1180x842, 189K)

As unsavory as it is, nobody’s perfect. It doesn’t disqualify his literary ability.

Not necessarily. It's a vague term.

earring really gave lords that "dashing swashbuckler" edge that made the ladies go wild back in the day

What impressed you so much in what you read in Hamlet?

Also, what works have you read by Tolstoy?

He read the first three chapters from the P&V McDonald's translation of War and Peace and he thinks he knows Tolstoy.

It’s funny because it was the same experience I had with Tolstoy, where I opened the book and the pages almost seemed to glow with what I was reading... It was about 15% of the way into Anna Karenina that I decided Tolstoy was the GOAT. That was three or four years ago. Then it happened again in Hamlet, where I was so smacked in the face by literary and storytelling ability beyond what I had ever read. It was very simply the power and innovation of the language and the compelling reality of the characters, especially Hamlet. The most salient moment for me was the end of Act 2–the evocative power of the Pyrrhus monologue which moves the actor to tears, and then Hamlet’s ensuing monologue that the actor reacts more to a fiction than he does to the reality of his father’s murder.
Of Tolstoy I’ve read Anna Karenina and his short stories. Haven’t read his Childhood trilogy. Got about a quarter of the way through War and Peace, probably more, lost interest and decided to come back to it at a later date—still haven’t.

1) Coriolanus. It's the ultimate pleb filter.
2) Julius Caesar. It's interesting how a British take on Roman affairs is so satisfying, it just works and arguably means more to our understanding of the relevant history than said history.

Attached: 1528614763398.jpg (800x837, 350K)

1. King Lear. Hamlet is child's play in comparison, though so is everything else. It doesn't demerit Hamlet's worth, tho, don't misunderstand me.
2. KL too, but I think Antony and Cleopatra is his second best play.

1. I hate to be "that guy," but I have to say The Tempest; it says everything he wanted to say about the most important thing to him: writing.

2. My favorite is Henry IV Part 1. It includes all the best aspects of his histories & comedies (and Part 2 includes tragedy).

3. Bonus: I think that his most overlooked play is by far Timon of Athens. I don't know how many of you have read it, but it has aged supremely, even in comparison to Shakespeare's best. I think that it means more to us in late-stage capitalism than it did in the burgeoning days of global capital.

1. Hamlet is the goat piece of literature.

2. Hamlet. Ending gets me every time.

Attached: best of Shakespeare.png (630x1903, 1.48M)

>1. Hamlet is the goat piece of literature.
The Divine Comedy shits all over Hamlet.

midsummer nights dream
romeo and juliet

Incorrect.

Objectively true.

>What do you think is Shakespeare's best play?
I'm going to cheat and say The Henriad. That story as a whole is great.
>What is your favorite Shakespeare play?
Titus Andronicus. Fight Me

I don't fight gentlemen with fine taste.

Othello is based, both the play and the character. Iago might be my favorite Shakespeare character sans Shylock(most accurate representation of a Jew in literature) and Hamlet. Othello is a boss nigger and should be treated as such, take your phony racism to reddit.

timon of athens, noted, ty

The play where he reaches the highest of highs? Hamlet
His most perfect play? Macbeth or Midsummer
The play of his I most enjoy? Henry VI part 3

Do shut the fuck up, deracinated brainlet.

1. Lear
2. Macbeth

I don’t like his other plays, except maybe A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

>nobody's mentioned Winter's Tale
Yea Forums what the fuck?

Henry V

Btw, am i the only person whose favorite is this play?

What does best mean though? It could just mean most enjoyable to you which is likely what favorite would be. It could mean most influential. It could mean best written. People need to be more specific with the word best.

Henry V is awesome, I have the St. Crispin's Day Speech memorized. Hal in general is arguably Shakespeare's greatest character, he's up there with Falstaff and Hamlet.

Best means the most influential and best written. Favourite means the one you personally like the most or have a fondness for. Sometimes they overlap but there's definitely a difference.

Well, I asked because best has varying definitions. Thanks for clarifying your definition of it..

Psued.