*makes thousands of years of moral philosophy obsolete*

*makes thousands of years of moral philosophy obsolete*

Attached: Sam Harris.jpg (1024x646, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/skepticism-moral-responsibility/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's true. Based Jew

Absolutely based

Attached: C06797D3-A5A3-47D3-9EA1-A51360DA6207.jpg (509x501, 77K)

This nigga acting like he discovered biological determinism when western philosophy was build on fatalism.

>fails to define an objective measure or even definition of "suckiness"
>whole argument boils down to "just make things better lmao"
is this really one of the top minds in philosophy right now brehs? if so we're FUCKED

Yes.

I would pay to see you debate him

Harris demands 10000 before debate fees just for hotels and travelling

HAHAHAHA WHAT is this a fucking fabrication???? I've never read Harris but god fucking damn he is retarded if this is real

Truly brainlet tier

I would say midwit at best

he is actually pretty smart, he even beat peterson once

Aristotle couldn't even count teeth accurately, so there has been some progress.

this can't be real

Attached: 1518070173437.jpg (992x975, 113K)

He's not a philosopher.

He identifies as a "philosopher of mind"

t. listened to a recent Very Bad Wizards podcast with him.

dont meme peterson, hes too pure for this world

Saying he beat Peterson doesn't lend much to harris' credibility

Not. What he uses circular logic. Doing good is good because it's prosperous for humankind. Why is this good? Because then we can do more good. Again why is that good? Why isn't maximum prosperity of vegetables the ultimate good?
He derives 'ought' from 'is', just like any other atheist arguing for objective morality.

Why don't atheists admit that there are no objective moral truths? You don't need morals to not be an asshole. Realising that there were no morals all along won't spawn unstoppable urge to lie, steal, kill & rape within anyone. Those who already commit those acts don't let silly things like morals stand in their way anyway.

>mfw people think Harris is a good debator

Attached: images.jpg (426x399, 12K)

*rephrases thousands of years of moral philosophy*

Attached: 1555459501260.jpg (326x294, 18K)

Define "sucks." There, killed your premise, if there was any...

If there was an objective definition for what "sucks" for everyone, we wouldn't have nearly 4000+ years of philosophical debate.

And now we have to talk about what is "objective" and even that can take years, if it is even possible to find a solution.

This guy's a hack.

Peterson is extremely hacky. He is ill equipped to enter any even moderately complex philosophical discussion. Remember when he prepared for the Zizek debate by simply reading the Communist Manifesto and not even touching Capital? Good thing Zizek did what he always does and used the debate as an opportunity to talk about some random shit that he was interested in instead.

Making our corner of the universe suck less is not more or less preferable from making our corner of the universe suck even more. Suffering or not suffering, neither holds any meaning. It just is.

plato.stanford.edu/entries/skepticism-moral-responsibility/
His philosophical work got referenced on SEP. That makes him not just a philosopher but more like a top 1% living philosopher in terms of impact.

Okay, now find the book which is the topic of this thread, The Moral Landscape. You won't because it's not original.

good job moving the goalpost retard. Harris is a legitimate philosopher

I'm not moving the goalpost. That was always the goalpost. We're talking about Sam Harris's moral framework, not his take on free will.

Get off my board

I think it can. Humanity used to be far more violent. If you truly apply skepticism

Sorry. If you truly apply skepticism to its full extent, you probably end up becoming a hedonist, and then realizing Genghis Khan is the supreme ideal to live up to