Was he ever beaten in debate?

was he ever beaten in debate?

Attached: Jean-Léon_Gérôme_-_Diogenes_-_Walters_37131.jpg (1800x1322, 3.32M)

I really enjoy this painting.

>implying he ever debated anyone

he was certainly just beaten

His stories sound a lot cooler than what probably happened in real life. He was probably really edgy and unnecessarily rude.

He beat it in front of everyone

What's the point of winning a debate? Does that make his theory true?

>Plato was discoursing on his theory of ideas and, pointing to the cups on the table before him, said while there are many cups in the world, there is only one 'idea' of a cup, and this cupness precedes the existence of all particular cups. "I can see the cups on the table," said Diogenes, "but I can't see the 'cupness'".

>"That's because you have the eyes to see the cup," said Plato, "but", tapping his head with his forefinger, "you don't have the intellect with which to comprehend 'cupness'."

>Diogenes walked up to the table, examined a cup and, looking inside, asked, "Is it empty?" Plato nodded. "Where is the 'emptiness' which precedes this empty cup?" asked Diogenes. Plato allowed himself a few moments to collect his thoughts, but Diogenes reached over and, tapping Plato's head with his finger, said "I think you will find here is the 'emptiness'".

Attached: 1508404057658.png (500x500, 107K)

a burn that was so legendary it has echoed down the ages.

I'm not doubting this, but what is the source? I have the Oxford classic book on Diogenes and this anecdote isn't in it, although it does have a section on confrontations with Plato

based af

i don't get it

Did greeks think mind and understanding comes from brain? It looks fabricated

Attached: gigachad diogenes.png (1800x1322, 3.81M)

>making a joke invalidates Plato's point
Brainlets, the lot of you.

Go wrestle with your nephew Plato

Nah Diogenes wittily challenges Platos concept by contrasting it with the idea of nothingness rather than an idea of something

>Where is the 'emptiness' which precedes this empty cup
in OP's picture

blow it out your ass

him and his dogs probably had more debates than anyone else

>Upon being challenged for masturbating in the marketplace, Diogenes replied, ‘If only it were so easy to soothe hunger by rubbing an empty belly'
I miss him, bros

My ubderstanding is that they attributed it to the heart.

BTFO

thats based
he is actually philosophizing with masturbation

listen kids take care of your selfs as you would do talk ..

Attached: 1 d6FJiE5wMZ7i2hNJzHdivw.jpg (650x740, 110K)

oh wait sorry hmm
take care of yours "selfs" as you woudl do talk

lol you are the brainlet for missing the implications

He was caught out once in one of his public master debating sessions

What are the implications then

Diogenes is the most reddit tier philosopher, basically rick and morty

And? Rick & Morty is very high IQ show.

Diogenes is not real. Neither is Socrates.

this
they are collective consciences

How about Protagoras?

Gonna need some proof.

Fair enough. Can you flesh your premise for me? Someone did the writing. Do you speculate who the writer was? Wasn't there a record of Socrates going on campaign with Xenophon? Is Xenophon a figment of my imagination, also?

The burden of proof is on you if you say he exists.

I am not arguing a position. It was only a friendly question. You sound angry.

Attached: for.no.reason.png (655x764, 671K)

We have archaeological evidence of his existence in Athenian records from when he presided over the assembly the first day they were trying the admirals from Arginusae.

Weird that all we have of Socrates comes from his students... Xenophon wrote the account of the trial of the Arginusae you're talking about, right?

This, actually smart user

We have his character in Aristophanes' plays as well.

This. Redditors are a cancer

There are no deeper implications to the joke.

Not brain, head. There are the eyes, so our very viewpoint is from there. It's easy to see how feeling like that's where the thoughts comes natural.

But you aren't entirely wrong. There were a few Greeks that puzzled over the brains function. Which is fine, as the brain has no identifiable movable parts. A society used to frequent wars however must necessarily come to understand the head as very important. The Greeks definitely knew that hits to the heads and damage there could impair thoughts.

tl;dr: They didn't wear helmets for nothing.

That man has invented the cup and that beyond that, there is no metaphysical cupness.
Also that Plato is a brainlet that has to overthink everything.

Diogenes is le epic random bacon narwhal reddit philosopher par excellence.

yes nothing more reddit than hating gays, pissing on people and beating off in public

you can't be beat if you only make unprovable statements

Attached: 1556075411296.jpg (640x360, 34K)

Kek reddit is literally dogs

based

So how did Plato get btfo then?

This.

cuz of the chicken

My old dog liked gay men.

Never debate a man who lives in pottery.

Yeah, you know, fiction.

He probably smelled like shit in real life

Is that a JoJo reference?

Attached: F2CC218F-306F-4B19-9FEB-12655912993F.jpg (640x640, 79K)

poor plato

>defeated
>beated
>refuted
>wrong
>right
Fucking dumb people destroying philosophy

are you saying debates can never be lost?

They can never be won.

4U

Based Diogenes is based

I don't think his style was debating so much as it was shitposting.

Yes it does, by showing how useless it is to distinguish "cupness" as a separate concept to the cup itself and then claiming that it takes intellect to perceive it this way, as it is the same to try an compare the emptiness within the cup now to the emptiness that existed before the cup was filled with this emptiness and then finally to the emptiness of Plato's mind. It is all the same.

Diogenes did not participate in debate; it wasn't his style. He was an observer; a commentator.

Your old dog was based and redpilled.