Is reading a waste of time or am I just stupid...

Is reading a waste of time or am I just stupid? I've read so many classical books and none of them seemed to have made me any smarter, in fact I seem to forget most of what I read. I guess I'm wondering what books will actually make me smarter?

Attached: IMG_20190527_174604.jpg (700x307, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

encyclopediageopolitica.com/2018/11/12/the-2019-geopolitical-reading-list/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=hBWDIzHldPg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No one reads books to be smarter. They're already smart, and they read books.

depends on the classic. dumas probably wont make you smarter. de sade probably wont make you smarter.

philosophical fiction at least pretends to make you smarter

No, Yea Forums is.
Pick your books wisely. Learn and be entertained by what you like. Enjoy yourself.

Attached: F04FA62B-3EDB-473E-AA8D-B8B8F8A46961.jpg (660x811, 63K)

Wrong. If you were smart you wouldn't have to read. Reading is an act of acknowledging your stupidity.

I want to understand the world better

Read up on Geopolitics and History.

What do you reccomend?

encyclopediageopolitica.com/2018/11/12/the-2019-geopolitical-reading-list/

knowledge is an unsummitable mountain and we're blessed to not have to start from the bottom, there should probably be some level of entry realizations before you're allowed to read though

>he reads fiction
If you wanna get smarter, pick up philosophy and develop your ideas. Stop wasting time fucking reading fiction, cuck.

Attached: 1531318008752.jpg (1242x2208, 228K)

where did you get this picture of me and blease stop bosting it.

when you read a book, do you get exposed to a new idea/concept/insight? do you reflect and consider how this idea/concept/insight is relevant to you or your current way of thinking? do you widen your horizons at all? thats really the best you can hope for from a book

and maybe one day you'll end up like butterfly

I think there's a difference between gathering knowledge and being "smart." We would have to define them differently. Reading things can provide you with new information and different perspectives, but this is just raw material now stored in the brain. It's only by thinking critically about what you read or are reading that will make one "smarter." By crafting the raw material into something useful for oneself, but this can only be achieved if one already has the ability to distill what they read. I think this process can be learned, only if the person lacking "smarts" starts with books that are easier to process.

Which is happy

Attached: 0A813206-2451-43BF-BA2F-5B14F8622D19.jpg (780x439, 74K)

don't make me laugh

Twelve books is not that many user.

lack of knowledge =/= stupidity

>fictionfags think reading will make them smarter
oh god wow pathetic

>Nor does reading a genius's writings help in any significant way, shape or form, if you are not already a genius, as all the inferior intellects are pleased to think. "Maybe I wasn't born as smart as him, but all his smartness must be contained inside his books, so all I have to do to become like him is read them!" A gross overestimation of the power of words, that amounts to believing that reading books can change your genes! The reality is that, at most, and if you are sensible, the genius's books will give you an inferiority complex. If you aren't, they'll turn you into a stark raving retard for whom there is no cure. — And you thought that lifting weights above your strength was dangerous! But reading books above your intelligence is unimaginably more so. But that, too, you stubbornly refuse to acknowledge and heed, precisely because evaluating the power of books is an unimaginably harder task than sizing up the weight of a couple of barbells, while to you books are, after all, just books. "What harm can there be in reading them?", you think, like all uneducated people.

I love you, you dumb cunt

yes. Go sow the land, and never be bothered with anything beyond that. You are cattle after all, so behave like one.

Go ahead and laugh. I am a perfectly happy person.

It's all a waste of time.

Attached: bb75656c29b8e38708a8e2e7081c6e15fb7374f7476b7974fa9b1ce1e41501d9.png (633x758, 44K)

i feel like a happy person wouldn't go on like you do on this board

Which is try to spread the good news to a bunch of misanthropic sad sacks.
Weird huh?

Look into Epicureanism
m.youtube.com/watch?v=hBWDIzHldPg

Yes, reading fiction is just a slightly better way to waste time

>Which is try to spread the good news to a bunch of misanthropic sad sacks.
>Weird huh?
no like this i mean

>Look into Epicureanism
no thanks i like montaigne

His page says he was influenced by Lucretius

what even is the point of reading

You only get out of it what your metaphysical structure allows. You should read some nonfiction and see how to get more out of what you're reading prior to reading more fiction. Classics were addressing relevant problems, for instance Jane Austen, and realism, was a huge argument against sensibility novels. You can see this in modern politics as feels vs reals or in philosophy as rational objectivity vs empirical subjectivity.
I'd unironically study philosophy prior to reading more fiction novels and you should read secondary works on it. The genre switching, which amounted to changing the way we perceive the world, was about as dramatic as Einstein's work in quantum mechanics or the Copernican revolution. We don't have anything relevant today so nothing to really compare it to.

Literally sows the ground for pro racism. Don't listen to this moron op

Rapism*

aquinas too though.
i can't go for ataraxia in a big way

Attached: rg.jpg (1090x421, 57K)

Epicurus sows the seeds of racism? Or rapism?

This is confusing on all sorts of fronts.

Rape, using sense pleasures to decide what is good or wrong leads to all the evils in this world
Prove
Me
Wrong

This Aquinas was degenerate

Read
Up
On
Epicurus

where did i lose you
epicurus' idea of happiness is/is through tranquility (ataraxia), n'est-ce pas?

I did his subtractions on pure hedonism doesn't refute hedonism and it doesn't subtract from mob mentality without necessitating rational observation of good. Nobody follows Epicurus because it's a horrid philosophy and you can't build civilization off of it, much less a golden age.

>He thinks intelligence = knowledge

There is no surer mark of the IQlet

They are highly correlated smarts. An 85 IQ person can never earn a doctorate in math

No one follows philosophers but college students, nor do we build civilizations on them. Your concerns are disingenuous though.

Not liking to feel lucid, robust tranquility, for any expanse of time is one of the fronts that confused, yes.

No one said they weren't correlated dingus

>Einstein's work in quantum mechanics
Sure, he defined quanta and got dunked on by Bohr, but it's laughable to think his impact was bigger in QM than in relativity/cosmology

Look at the axial age, civilizations certainly are, in fact every modern civilization is. Most African ones are a racial Marxism, w rare liberal ones such as Liberia. Iran rn is Islamic fundamentalism as an assertion against the west. Not to mention most civilizations use a constitution and proclaim human rights as a virtue (liberalism).
How are they disingenuous?
Also pic

Attached: Screenshot_20190607-004419_Chrome.jpg (1186x158, 71K)

Sure I was being general but he inspired a Deutsche Physik from the nazis etc and I was just trying to show comparison of impact.

Fat wojack is so sexy.. I want to cuddle in his rolls and plat with his titties

well it is confusing, but if tranquility means still, calm, quiet. that's not lucidity (light), it's dearth.
all positive change is good; standing still, growing to the spot, is always bad.

reading is for le smart smart niggers

Your mind can be lucid in tranquility. And growing to a spot is fine for a time. We’re talking about a feeling that comes and goes. This is not a philosophy that demands you become like the tree and die there.

how the fuck you gains can read classics without gaining any knowledge or getting more smarter at all?
shit i am a dumb fuck who just started reading the mythology book, i'm on page 300 and i've already learnt so fucking much about the human condition, ancient greece customs, how to be a man, psychology and morality

You just weren't exposed to knowledge, you had the critical ability to reflect on what you consumed.

It sorta does, it limits you to your senses taking away your freedom. It turns you into a slave for your senses

Slave? What are you, antinatalism now?
No worries. You will lose your senses in death. Free as you were before birth.

Attached: 67F75C75-9747-4999-88BE-56649686409B.jpg (750x738, 55K)

No the lord gave us the ability to find him and distinguish right from wrong. Mobs feel good as the lynch, feeling is not necessarily correct and too strong feels influences your rationality negatively. Have to find your being then go back to reasoning correctly. Sense perception as a sole means of truth is rock worshipping and is sinful as hell. God is found closer through immaterial things like justice and goodness, which are objective and can be objectively proven.

you sound like a passive reader, engage your brain while you read if you wish to strengthen it

Thankfully you don’t know what lynch mobs actually feel, but bby, it isn’t what one would call a good feeling.
>rock worshiping
Like the rock in your head that you worship

2/10

Awww such cute advice :3

t. wittgenstein

conflating intelligence with knowledge and stupidity with ignorance is the hallmark of the brainlet.

when you're not dumb you're trite

Reading won't make you smarter, user.

You’re always tripe

Attached: 4505B235-63D6-48CA-A1FD-0C3081898DCA.jpg (912x1333, 287K)

Saanko tulla sun naamalle?

Can I get some good "let's waste 5 hours reading this cozy ass world building fiction" recs please?

Graves The Greeks Myths

Attached: AF14C2E2-7B0F-4E31-AC5E-219A6402BACC.png (320x247, 66K)

Ignore butterfly posters. Except this post, actually. Otherwise fuck this nigga.

Says u crazy lady, mobs have insane ecstasy. It's bloodthirsty and ofc they're the victims after the bloodthirsty wears off and ofc the victim is demonized further if not, preferably, forgotten. Most ppl in their life have had mob moments

You have no response druid. You can ignore abstract thoughts and praise the stars or trees or your sex. Your philosophy leads nowhere and is only coddled by your inability to be taken over and enslaved or something

It's almost as if you have to think and be smart.

I'm trusting you on this butter. Have a Wallace

Attached: 1552626012622.jpg (375x281, 16K)

whenever you're tranquil you're already dying, i think.

Attached: FB858A12-B4C4-444E-8D7F-0324F2214ADD.png (403x448, 53K)

You can ignore their okay posts too, they are easily found elsewhere.

>Yea Forums is a waist of time
>tripfag
Kys, although you're right

You're looking at reading the wrong way. Change your approach and you'll reap quite a bit of benefits.

Test

This quote is ironic because Icycalm wasn't smart enough to read Nietzsche and now he is indeed a stark raving retard for whom there is no cure

More fat wojack pls

Attached: 11.jpg (852x480, 46K)

Based.