What the fuck Yea Forums? I’m taking a class this summer for which BNW is required reading...

What the fuck Yea Forums? I’m taking a class this summer for which BNW is required reading. I’m a pretty avid reader and I almost always enjoy what I read; in fact, I was rather looking forward to getting this title under my belt.

But I’m halfway through it and it’s just... boring. My expectations were so different to what I’m actually getting. I think I was expecting more of a world where everything seems alright and slowly it becomes evident that something is wrong, but it’s more like: the reader knows everything is terrible from the get-go and slowly the characters discover the truth.

pretty sure i’m not alone in disliking this book, it seems as hated here as 1984 most of the time. is this why?

Attached: 8AEED5CA-F461-4257-A2C8-78CE671AEBEA.jpg (1400x2139, 864K)

>boring
You can read my BNW fanfiction rewrite. I wrote in carchases and explosions!

The Crying of Lot 49 is better

What makes you so sure everything is terrible? That's the entire point of the conversation between John and the Director or whatever his name was. You've got it the wrong way round: everything seems fine and you find out it's terrible would be kinda cliche, everything seems terrible and you come to realise it's arguably more humane than our society is slightly more interesting to me.

Plus there's even an island community for free-thinking ubermensch alphas like Helmholtz to go to

I suspect most of this board would take up the offer of constant drug orgies with 10/10's in exchange for being at the bottom of an infantilised caste society lmao

I don’t really get you finding it boring. It really addresses a lot of important issues.

So after thinking a little bit i asked myself, "when taken to their logical conclusion, what values of our current society tend towards creating the one depicted in brave new world? or conversely what values do we hold that counter it ever occurring?"

okay well, what values does brave new world have?
>completely sexual freedom. “everyone belongs to everyone” so have sex with everyone you want.
>families units are bad. they create unstable societies. thus marriage and monogamy are illegal.
>having children is disgusting and painful. and parenting is like treating children as objects to be owned. so pregnancy is illegal.
>all women must constantly use birth control so as to never get pregnant. abortions are enforced
>there are no particular gender roles for men and women, we are all the same
>all children that are born are test tube creations. perfected with genetic modification.
>any negative feelings are immediately blocked with drugs (soma)
>everything is society is centrally planned by a global government
>disregarding of the past. History is barbaric and we needn’t learn about it
>no religion, instead they worship a political figure of sorts (Ford)

do i even really need to draw comparisons with the sort of values that are emerging in today’s culture?
>the LGBTQ movement and sexual openness
>the rise of cultural marxism and the systematic dissolving of the family unit
>feminism and how women should value their careers over having a family and being mothers
>the rise of abortion rates and the use of the pill has become so commonplace that it’s odd when women /don’t/ take it
>gender is no longer equal to sex. It’s a social construct and a choice
>CRISPR and the introduction of real genetic modification. “Designer babies”
>the increase of recreational drug use. Legalisation of marijuana. Opioid addiction rates. Overprescription of antidepressants
>the (((globalist))) agenda. Desire for world government
>the postmodernist movement
>the drop in organised religion and increase in agnosticism. Turning toward politics as a sort of crippled-religion

These are just a few examples. I could go on and on about how the things taking place in this book are, and have been playing out over nearly the last century and we’re getting closer and closer to it with disastrous consequences. I see no angle in which this is more humane or more interesting. It’s disgusting and sad.

Didnt Huxley associate with the upper crust too?

Drop your ideological whining for a moment and remember that the novel was written in the 1930's to see why it might be called 'more' humane in comparison to the society it came from. Also that Huxley loved drugs. In fact, compare BNW to Island to see why capitalism perverts things that might be otherwise fine or even good.

>brave new world
>fine or good
The wars of the 21st century can't come soon enough

>recreational drug use is bad cos muh degeneracy, alcohol's good tho
>women having careers is bad even though capitalism did that
>decline of religion bad
>(((cultural neopomomarxism)))
Cringe. Actually read my post spastic. There's a reason why despite Huxley having absolutely no qualms creating characters with such retarded, unsubtle names as 'Lenina' and 'Bernard Marx' the figure they worship is called 'Ford', not 'Stalino' or some dumb shit.

>Actually read my post spastic
Believe me I'm trying...

Yeah the first 2/3 of the book are annoying to get through, but the last 1/3 made it worth reading imo

Faggot tradposter struggling with a 120 word post and reply, I'm shocked. Reading's degenerate bourgeois intellectualism after all.

>being pleb-filtered by fucking Brave New World

Attached: 1557456527014.jpg (640x604, 62K)

and that reason is that huxley was a propagandist - it was the family business

So you've backed down from saying BNW is some sort of prophetic antiglobalist manifesto to saying Huxley was just some hack (((propagandist)))? Whatever, insofar as he had political opinions, yeah maybe you could call him a propagandist, just like every author to put words on paper from St Paul to Stalin.

glad that's settled

Whats wrong with postmodernism?
its to me the most interesting form of philosophy.

ignore them, they're just butthurt because postmodernism rejects the idea that the ""western civilization"" both exists and deserves to be dominant

why does Yea Forums dislike BNW?

>reading brave new world for class
Come back when you graduate high school

Preach.

>>disregarding of the past. History is barbaric and we needn’t learn about it
>>the postmodernist movement
the postmodernist movement is literally based around over-analyzing the past. why is it that anti-pomos never seem to understand what they're fighting against?

Your problem is that you're expecting the book to tell you what is good and bad but instead it's just showing you something and maybe pointing out some pros and cons.